Do modern oils clean Piston Rings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do modern engine oil clean (SN) Piston Rings? Also, do synthetic oils do a better job at cleaning rings? Thank you!

Your question is very vague, but in general all modern oil specs have very stringent tests regarding ring sticking and piston ring deposits.

Wether synthetic oils are better at it is definetly not a straightforward answer, in theory maybe yes but in real world conditions you'd probably have a hard time finding differences between two oils with the same apec, one being dino and the other synthetic.

I'm not asking about specific Motor oil. Are modern SN/ACEA motor oils formulated to clean piston rings? Generally? I understand that every vehicle is unique. I know there are certain esters designed for this. I think so? Such as Pennzoil Ultra/Plantinum line etc. But, Im not as well as educated as certain others on this great board. My degree was not in chemistry or tribology.

Maybe there is no simple answer, IDK?

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Onetor
Do modern engine oil clean (SN) Piston Rings?

Yes

Also, do synthetic oils do a better job at cleaning rings?

Yes

Thank you!

You are most welcome.

Therein lies the rub. Modern oils are marketed at "keeping pistons cleaner than xx standard", or "Superior protection against engine sludge", or "When you need to protect and preserve a steadfast engine" NOT at cleaning engines. It's an old wives' tale. Varnish, sludge, and coked oil are extremely tough substances to remove, and it's just not financially feasible for oil manufacturers to provide something that has the muscle to clean for $15/gal.

Cleaning sludge and clearing piston rings is driven by polarity of oil molecules. Lower group oils (GRP I and II) have much higher polarity and will have a better shot at cleaning, but they are still extremely low on the scale. Search JAG's post on Valvoline Premium Blue Restore oil ($70+/gal), it is formulated from an extremely polar base oil which is designed to clean piston rings and sludge. Other than that, your only other real choice is to use a solvent-based cleaner.

They sure do, I have posted a pic of the pistons that were being cleaned pretty good by PU alone, no other additives. Here it is again. Notice the piston covered by the pickup tube is taking a little longer, the other 5 look like the one in the lower right.

SAM_1118.JPG

Well there is more than one piston ring to contend with. Not sure any oil will clean up really stuck/crudded up piston rings in the time period most people would be willing to wait. Something more may be needed like Kreen or Auto-Rx or a piston soak. Or pull the pistons and install new rings.

I have used M1 oils for the last 40 years and have never experienced ring coking caused by carbon build up around the rings.

Do modern engine oil clean (SN) Piston Rings? Also, do synthetic oils do a better job at cleaning rings? Thank you!

Do a better job prevents ring pack deposits in the first place? - YES

Cleaning up after the damage has already been done? - NO

Originally Posted by Linctex

I think this is the answer here.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Linctex

I think this is the answer here.

Yup

UD

Originally Posted by Trav
They sure do, I have posted a pic of the pistons that were being cleaned pretty good by PU alone, no other additives. Here it is again. Notice the piston covered by the pickup tube is taking a little longer, the other 5 look like the one in the lower right.

Danke Herr!

Originally Posted by Donald
Well there is more than one piston ring to contend with. Not sure any oil will clean up really stuck/crudded up piston rings in the time period most people would be willing to wait. Something more may be needed like Kreen or Auto-Rx or a piston soak. Or pull the pistons and install new rings.

Let me clarify. I'm asking about general cleaning. Not for neglected engines or stuck rings. I've read the advertisements. Just want to know if anyone really knew the reality. I certainly appreciate everyone's input. Ty

Originally Posted by Trav

That's some pretty Impressive varnish removal

I have yet to see anything get carbon out of the ring lands....

I don't think it's possible, by other than mechanical (abrasives/scraping) means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back