Do magnets remove metal in oil

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Originally Posted By: Ducked
The CCEFP and Iowa State University did a study on this. The results are pretty straight forward. Using a magnet does help increase filter efficiency on both ferrous and non-ferrous materials.

Interesting. I wouldn't describe the non-ferrous bit as "pretty straight forward." I'd say it was fairly surprising. Can't tell from the slides how significant it is, though.

I suppose it might be explained by some adhesion or entrainment of the non-ferrous materials with the ferrous, though I didn't notice a specific explanation in the slides.

They could test the effect of introducing non-ferrous particles to the experimental filtration test mix, but I think the non-ferrous result was a test on an operating hydraulic, as opposed to a model, system.

That is what slides 10-12 are trying to describe. My understanding is the natural attractive forces "cohesion" between small particles is what captures the non-ferrous particles. They have already "stuck" together with a ferrous particle, and then the ferrous particle gets trapped by the magnetic field...taking the non-ferrous particle with it. I have a meeting with Dr. Steward on a different topic next week...I will try to gain clarification. If you have any specific questions, please let me know and I will try to pass them along.

Perhaps ask about that "old wives tale" above? (Re-entrainment of magnetised particles).

I doubt its a very big deal, and it will depend on the specific design of the trap, but the one under study is in a high flow area and doesn't appear to have any specific arrangement to sequester trapped particles, (as seen in the "Magnom" device at the bottom of slide 4), so I wonder if its a concern at all.

I have a meeting with Dr. Steward on a different topic next week...I will try to gain clarification. If you have any specific questions, please let me know and I will try to pass them along.

Quite like to know what words go with the "Picture of magnetic arrangement" in slide 25 too.

Not sure what the picture represents, but it looks like fewer (more powerful?) pairs of magnets (paired polarity how?) give a deeper field, with a "focus" close to the centre of the filter, though I'd expect the central field to be null.

Assuming it isn't, not sure if (or why) a field there would be a good thing.

In a conventional spin-on filter that location is post-filtration so I wouldn't think a field there would do any good.

It would be good if a strong field extended to the outer filter surface though.

Last edited:
In reference to the article on this link:

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/781/particle-contamination

Nice to see that Machinery lube is still around after all these yrs!

Some iron particles can be magnetized, but the field they retain is extremely small
due to their small size and mass. Further these particles are magnetized passively,
that is, by only sitting on the magnet.

To impart a significant field you'd have to stroke particles over a magnet
several times aggressively, like you would with a nail and a bar magnet.
(Try a nail resting on a magnet for 2 hrs, then stroke another identical nail over
the same bar magnet 20 times and see the difference!)

The other way is to hit particles with a strong pulsed field to magnetize,
none of these conditions are possible in an engine.

Sloughing off later requires that the magnets are heavily loaded to the point where
the field at any particle is finally weaker then the force of the oil flow on that particle.

In a spin-on oil filter you'd need a 1/8" buildup over Filter Mags to start sloughing
off, in which case the root cause for so much wear metals will be a lot scarier then sloughing
is!

In the early 80's I dropped the pan on a A727 tranny for a low/reverse band adjustment with 200K+ miles,
the ring magnet in the pan was an unrecognizable furry lump! It easily had way over a 1/4" thick build up!
Did it slough? likely, but it did it's job and I was better off for it!
smile.gif

I run Gold Plugs in my cars. I don't see them as saving the engine (or transmission) from anything, that's the job of the filter.

I use them to get a sense of the condition of the system. If they suddenly come out very furry, I know something's going wrong.

I fail to see the advantage to sticking magnets at the inlet of the filter. The particles
would get caught up in the filter anyway.All the magnets do is get in the way of oil flow
going into the filter.

Gold Plug ? Well made aftermarket plugs - I buy one for a vehicle and it does give one assurance that everything is ok when only a small amount of ultra fine Fe is on the plug. As for adding protection - probably not much but there are lots of long chains and stuff to worry about in modern engines -

Reviving this excellent topic. Maybe someone has a smart idea.

WHERE on the oil filter would you place the magnet. My working understanding of oil filters is limited, so would the magnet go on the end, on the side, near the front or back, or does it matter?

Reviving this excellent topic. Maybe someone has a smart idea.

WHERE on the oil filter would you place the magnet. My working understanding of oil filters is limited, so would the magnet go on the end, on the side, near the front or back, or does it matter?

Use whatever magnets you scavenged and mount on the sides like:

Well I had a neighbor that used magnets on his oil pan and he got over a million miles on his engine. And he never changed his oil hardly ever....

Back