Do I really need to change my oil, less than 500 miles in 2.5 years?

I would be more concerned about the filter than the oil. Wouldn't the adhesives dissolve over time?

That's a good point. I don't know the answer but a $5 filter is a lot less hassle than figuring it out.

I'm in the camp to just do a oil and filter change, truthfully. 2.5 years is a long time to let oil/filter sit in a vehicle... when a $25 fix is all that's needed.

That's a good point. I don't know the answer but a $5 filter is a lot less hassle than figuring it out.

I'm in the camp to just do a oil and filter change, truthfully. 2.5 years is a long time to let oil/filter sit in a vehicle... when a $25 fix is all that's needed.
Agreed. I think there is a good reason why manufacturers generally require an annual oil and filter change, regardless of mileage or usage.

Change it. UOA costs money. What if says oil is bad (IDK). Now you've spent money to save money. Change it..............OR..............SELL it and you won't to worry anymore.

I would be more concerned about the filter than the oil. Wouldn't the adhesives dissolve over time?
You are probably right Michael. We do, however, hear lotsa stories of long time filters.
Don't tell anyone, but the M1 on our old Tundra has 10K and 2+ years on it... Oops.
I didn't realize it had been that long. I will spin it off tomorrow. Thanks for making me check...
All good.

Changing my advice to, service that oil and filter!

1000 miles regardless of time would be a safe round bet for me even for a classic short tripper after all those UOAs showing that time isn't as harsh as someone would think after the one year rule of most manuals. Many new cars have 2 year maximum internal by their manual nowadays.

The real question is, why NOT change the oil and filter? It may not be necessary, but it won't hurt, it's cheap, and you get some good bonding time with your baby. :) You could even splurge and send some oil off for a UOA so you know better for next time.

Depending on how you treat the car, it could be fine.

Run a 0w40 and a synthetic media filter. Make certain to run it good when you turn it on. Never just let it idle and turn off. Keep it topped off.

No one on this forum beats their vehicles like I do.
I changed the oil in my trail Jeep over 2 years ago and its still fine. Last year, I had about 6 miles of trail time on obstacles you can't even walk on. Gary Allan (RIP) once suggested I track gallons of fuel burned to determine a maint interval. I never did set that up, but I did run some UOA's on multi year oil and it was fine.
BTW, I changed the oil in my '59 back in '15. Maybe that old F-head might blow up. If add-packs start depleting after one year, it's probably a non-detergent oil by now.

Change it. Additives fall out of suspension, it’s true. 2.5 years is a long time. Oil and a filter are cheap, do you like your car?

Change it. Additives fall out of suspension, it’s true. 2.5 years is a long time. Oil and a filter are cheap, do you like your car?
do the additives get picked back up if you drive enough, maybe a few full throttle blasts after fully heat soaked?

I am in a similar situation, I drove my G35 roughly 2500 miles this past year. I went ahead and changed the oil today because why not. I've never heard of new oil being bad for a car, but I have heard of old oil being bad for a car. Also, I decided I am going to drive it more because that's why I bought it lol

do the additives get picked back up if you drive enough, maybe a few full throttle blasts after fully heat soaked?
No idea. There have been multiple threads on here with pictures showing additive fall out from regular 5 quart jugs you would buy off the shelf at your local Walmart. Even shaking the bottles back up didn't completely get the additives back in suspension. IMO it's just not worth the risk. We are talking about $30 here. If it was 6 months or so, sure. 2.5 years...give me peace of mind.

If you live in New York and your car gets cold in the winter then the oil should be changed every spring. This is particularly important if you are not using synthetic oil.

AEHaas
Why, does temperature cycling oil cause degradation or impaired performance?

Data/links showing that claim ?
Just contact your oil manufacturer. I also personally know two high end large business engine builder's who have enquired on the information from their oil manufacturers with both saying the add pack starts to degrade after 12 months in engine. That was at least 2 different manufacturers.

No idea. There have been multiple threads on here with pictures showing additive fall out from regular 5 quart jugs you would buy off the shelf at your local Walmart. Even shaking the bottles back up didn't completely get the additives back in suspension. IMO it's just not worth the risk. We are talking about $30 here. If it was 6 months or so, sure. 2.5 years...give me peace of mind.
I believe Shell and Chevron say the shelf life is 60 months, If I recall right Valvoline's stance it's indefinite just that some additives may fall out and the oil may need shaken after long storage. I can't recall the thread, someone may remember the thread but if I recall right the official explanation for small amounts of of crud at the bottom of new jugs was something to do with an additive that they sort of over saturate the solution with and over time the excess additive that won't dissolve fully will fall out of solution. If the oil solution starts becoming heterogenous in the crankcase for a long while I'm sure a few minutes of running the engine and stirring it should mix the additives back in. If you've had jugs of oil sitting for a few years there should be no problem using them, just makes sure to shake it thoroughly before use if using a partial jug, if using the whole thing maybe a light shake and dump it all in, being pumped through the engine a few minutes should stir it pretty well.

I believe Shell and Chevron say the shelf life is 60 months, If I recall right Valvoline's stance it's indefinite just that some additives may fall out and the oil may need shaken after long storage. I can't recall the thread, someone may remember the thread but if I recall right the official explanation for small amounts of of crud at the bottom of new jugs was something to do with an additive that they sort of over saturate the solution with and over time the excess additive that won't dissolve fully will fall out of solution. If the oil solution starts becoming heterogenous in the crankcase for a long while I'm sure a few minutes of running the engine and stirring it should mix the additives back in. If you've had jugs of oil sitting for a few years there should be no problem using them, just makes sure to shake it thoroughly before use if using a partial jug, if using the whole thing maybe a light shake and dump it all in, being pumped through the engine a few minutes should stir it pretty well.
Its about oxidization and chemical reaction when oil is in the engine.

Back