Do I lug my engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After poking around on the forums for a while, I started reading a lot about engine lugging. Here's my question -- Would you consider this lugging on my LS1?

When driving regularly I try to save fuel. Most of my shifting is under 2k RPM and when in 5th or 6th gear a lot of my driving is right around 1500 rpm. That may be low for some cars, but would how about in my scenario?

The car always feels fine at 1500rpms, with plenty of torque to get me up to speed if I need it.

So what do you think? GM has that "skip shift" feature to help with fuel economy. Thankfully I had it deactivated. Shifting from 1st to 4th constantly doesn't settle well with me.

So what do you think, should I kick the RPMs up a bit?

Considering Corvettes apparently run around 1500 rpms at highway speeds in 6th, I don't think you're hurting anything. The LSX engines have very robust bottom ends.

Quote:
Thankfully I had it deactivated.

Me too. When I drive, I shift: 1st - 2nd - 4th - 6th gear for max gas mileage.

Breaking 30 MPG on the highway in a 6 speed Corvette coupe is very easy.

Yea, GM's shifting recommendations are too low for comfort with me.

6th gear at 50mph. My car is at 1k rpm at that speed and it really does feel like it is lugging to me.

At 1500rpm, the car feels good.

I wouldn't use a lot of throttle at those low rpms. At light throttle you aren't hurting anything.

It doesn't bother me to drive mine at 1000 rpm (about 45 mph in 6th) at light throttle as long as I know I'm not going to have to make a rapid speed change.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

Yup! I took a trip upstate. 150 mile trip, averaged 28mpg. That was with a lot of fun blasts up hills through the mountains. I could see 30mpg being easy on flat highways.

Originally Posted By: XS650
I wouldn't use a lot of throttle at those low rpms. At light throttle you aren't hurting anything.

It doesn't bother me to drive mine at 1000 rpm (about 45 mph in 6th) at light throttle as long as I know I'm not going to have to make a rapid speed change.

No, I agree. I never do anything dumb with my throttle, if I need some quick speed I'll downshift.

What XS650 said. Keep the load to a minimum. If you need to go WOT downshift as necessary. Otherwise get a slushbox.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Quote:
Thankfully I had it deactivated.

Me too. When I drive, I shift: 1st - 2nd - 4th - 6th gear for max gas mileage.

Have you tried 1-3-5-6? The shift pattern feels a little strange at first but the 3-5 feels better than a 2-4. It felt right on my LT4 and C6. I can't explain why, give it a try.

My 96 Crown Vic P71 has significantly less power than your vehicle and it runs great in overdrive at 35mph at 1000rpm (and on flat ground, getting 35-40mpg). No lugging until I start going up a hill and the speed drops to around 32 while still in overdrive, which is just barely above idle speed for my engine.

Though, a manual is a different beast. I would downshift at the first sign that the engine is starting to bog down.

XS650Have you tried 1-3-5-6? The shift pattern feels a little strange at first but the 3-5 feels better than a 2-4. It felt right on my LT4 and C6. I can't explain why said:
1-3-5-6 is also my usual driving style around town, with variations if there is traffic. My rule of thumb while accelerating is shift to 5th at 45 MPH, 6th at 65MPH. I won't downshift until 5 MPH below those #s. I rarely have to downshift for extra power, but it's pretty flat here in Vegas. 2002 Z-28 with standard rear end and tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back