Do empty fuse slots have power on my 2002 Toyota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

I'm at work right now so I can't test it myself. I'm wondering if someone knows off-hand if the empty fuse slots on a 2002 Tacoma (by the driver's left leg) have power. Basically I'm wanting to add a fuse tap and would prefer to just add one in to an empty slot. In lieu of that, does anyone know if the 20a fuse for 4WD has anything on it for a 2WD PreRunner? It has a fuse in it, but I have no idea if anything is on the circuit.

Be careful. There are a couple empty fuse taps on Acuras, that if you put a fuse in there, the battery will drain overnight. The slots are for testing at the factory. We have come across this issue many times. Not sure why people put fuses into spots where they don't belong.

Yeah, I'll test when I get home. I was just hoping to get something after work and sort of needed the info. If I have to go home first and test, so be it.

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
You can get devices that let you tap into an existing circuit. They plug into the original fuse slot and give you two fuse slots: one for original circuit, and one for your new circuit with a short length of wire. This way you can easily choose an ignition switched or always on circuit and have both properly fused.

https://www.amazon.com/Circuit-function-Littelfuse-FHA200BP-fuses/dp/B009K6ZH6W

I have 2 of those for USB power, neat and installation time saver.

My camry has a fuse for heated seats. No heated seats. I used it for key-on fog lights. If you look around your fusebox sometimes the "ACC" stuff is all grouped together vs the always-on.

Several of the unused fuse slots were hot with the ACC on. So I used something like NGRhodes recommended and put a 10amp fuse on it. All seems well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back