Do dealers do this often?

A statement like this really needs clarification on the (US) state in question. In Ohio, this is not true as long as the numbers or the stickers in the two lower corners aren't covered. Many plate frames have thicker/wider bottom borders which block the stickers Ohio uses.

View attachment 33185
That ^^ can get you pulled over, while

View attachment 33186
this should not.

You make a good post. The Honda frame you show.. is a dealer frame. Or at least branded Honda.. perhaps obtainable from a dealer, or auto parts store. Could get you looked at, as wider bottom could make you able to get that ticket. Maybe covering up stickers (if your state uses those) or other information like state name or slogan. It sounds silly, but this can be called an obstruction, as you say. Tickets have surely been issued for dealership plate frames. Has it happened to me? Perhaps once, maybe 16 years ago, so it is a thought whenever I see.. frames.

I would agree with you that the bottom one should be okay. The safest way, in my humble opinion, to not have to worry about someone's interpretation of the law is to not have a plate frame on at all.

Then we get into plastic plate coverings etc.. I feel a lot of people do not know what the law is on this, including that you can be stopped for no reason at all and that's fine in the law. No reason is needed. Everyone thinks there has to be one. This is incorrect. So why give them one more.. Does not usually happen, but don't be a meal ticket for things like license plate frames, something hanging from a rear view mirror (field.of vision ticke I see all sorts of plate coverings, including photo-shift angled lenses and tinted covers.

A statement like this really needs clarification on the (US) state in question. In Ohio, this is not true as long as the numbers or the stickers in the two lower corners aren't covered. Many plate frames have thicker/wider bottom borders which block the stickers Ohio uses.

View attachment 33185

View attachment 33186
this should not.

View attachment 33185

View attachment 33186
this should not.

You make a good post. The Honda frame you show.. is a dealer frame. Or at least branded Honda.. perhaps obtainable from a dealer, or auto parts store. Could get you looked at, as wider bottom could make you able to get that ticket. Maybe covering up stickers (if your state uses those) or other information like state name or slogan. It sounds silly, but this can be called an obstruction, as you say. Tickets have surely been issued for dealership plate frames. Has it happened to me? Perhaps once, maybe 16 years ago, so it is a thought whenever I see.. frames.

I would agree with you that the bottom one should be okay. The safest way, in my humble opinion, to not have to worry about someone's interpretation of the law is to not have a plate frame on at all.

Then we get into plastic plate coverings etc.. I feel a lot of people do not know what the law is on this, including that you can be stopped for no reason at all and that's fine in the law. No reason is needed. Everyone thinks there has to be one. This is incorrect. So why give them one more.. Does not usually happen, but don't be a meal ticket for things like license plate frames, something hanging from a rear view mirror (field.of vision ticket,) something decaled in the AS1 area of a windshield, all sorts of things in this category. All reasons. I see all sorts of plate coverings, including photo-shift angled lenses and tinted covers.

View attachment 33185

View attachment 33186
this should not.

Then we get into plastic plate coverings etc.. I feel a lot of people do not know what the law is on this, including that you can be stopped for no reason at all and that's fine in the law. No reason is needed. Everyone thinks there has to be one. This is incorrect. So why give them one more.. Does not usually happen, but don't be a meal ticket for things like license plate frames, something hanging from a rear view mirror (field.of vision ticke I see all sorts of plate coverings, including photo-shift angled lenses and tinted covers.

Trying to get pics to post.

12495968_1281110031915783_7933286147749541390_o.jpg

We bought a brand new Jeep Renegade from a local dealer a handful of years back. When doing the final inspection/walk around, I grabbed the dealer badge they stuck to the tailgate and pulled it off in front of my sales guy...the look on his face was priceless. I drove it home with a big patch of white foam I had to remove...well worth it.

I have been pulled over and given a ticket here in Iowa because my frame blocked the county in which I live in on the bottom edge of the plate.

View attachment 33185

View attachment 33186
this should not.
I have a Man From U.N.C.L.E. license plate frame, a door prize at the 50th anniversary celebration of the show in 2014. As soon as I got home from LA I went to put it on . . . and the bottom edge of it is too wide; it obscures the expiration stickers. Grrrr.

If I did have it on my car, and a dealership removed it, I'd raise pluperfect hell.

I have been pulled over and given a ticket here in Iowa because my frame blocked the county in which I live in on the bottom edge of the plate.

Polk County?

There appear to be people on the board that think that can't happen.

Polk County?

There appear to be people on the board that think that can't happen.

Nope, Story County...

But, cops hate me...

Non speeding violations I have been sighted for:

illegal license plate frame (may dad has been sighted for this as well in our same county)

out of date registration (which was in date, I just had not put my sticker on yet)

excessive acceleration - just rebuilt my engine in an old Cavalier Z24 in about 2000, and I must have had oil on my clutch plate which made it impossible to launch smoothly, this was literally two blocks into my first drive after the rebuild, and I did a slight "squeek" leaving a stop sign

window tint - two times in two different cars

no front plate - two times, once in my Audi A3 and once in the Alfa Stelvio, there is no way I was going to mar that beautiful face

Driving too fast for conditions - got sighted for going the speed limit in heavy rain coming into a town...honestly, I had a loud stereo, and that IMHO was why he pulled me over

Parking in my own grass in my front yard during a snow storm to avoid getting the parking on the street during a snow storm ticket

That law is on the books in many states.

Also, in NY there is also a law against any covering of your tags, even clear plexiglass which many folks use is illegal. Rarely enforced I suspect, though if you show a lack of cooperation with the LEO when stopped, he/she will probably add that charge to your ticket in addition to whatever you were pulled over in the first place.

Also, in NY there is also a law against any covering of your tags, even clear plexiglass which many folks use is illegal. Rarely enforced I suspect
In my younger days, I got pulled over for having a covered plate although mine was tinted (it was a 'bronze' tint as well, not 'dark'). This is in Ohio. I'm not certain if the law states "covered" or something like "obscured", i.e. a tinted one vs clear.

That law is on the books in many states.

Also, in NY there is also a law against any covering of your tags, even clear plexiglass which many folks use is illegal. Rarely enforced I suspect, though if you show a lack of cooperation with the LEO when stopped, he/she will probably add that charge to your ticket in addition to whatever you were pulled over in the first place.

My friend got a parking ticket for that in NYC.

I don't think cops in general actively enforce this licence plate frame thing. They just use it as a legal justification for stopping someone if they "act shady". Same thing with Air Fresheners under your mirror.

Back