Do dealers do this often?

I have bought 3 Hyundai from the same dealer.
I like the dealership and it's service department so I have left the licence plate frames on both of my current Hyundai.
I live in a large metro area and this is the only Hyundai dealer on the west side.

I have removed dealership frames all my driving life.
I have never thought of dealerships swapping a frame to one of theirs.
It seems either desperate or pure Micky Mouse but it sure doesn't surprise me one bit.
However, removing someone's school/sports team frame to install a dealership plate should be punishable by death.
That is a psychotically childish and dishonest thing to do.

I keep a car in FL but it has OH plates. I ran by the local Kia store and got a license plate frame from them, hoping it'll make me look like a pseudo-local, even with out of state plates, and avoid attention from the boys in blue. Wishful thinking perhaps but it makes me feel better.

If I had a custom one, like my old Hoonigan “Stop the hate Get a V8” frame, I’d be livid they removed it. A dealer one? I’d just remove it and go on with my life.

Yes, Audi Cape Fear used to do exactly this - when they dropped off my Q7 I noticed on my walk around that they removed my BFI plate frame and installed theirs.

My SA (a long time friend of mine) found it and FedEx'd it to me.

Perhaps a silly thing to raise Karen about but it was mine and they just tossed it (or the tech kept it).
HAHAHA!

I keep a car in FL but it has OH plates. I ran by the local Kia store and got a license plate frame from them, hoping it'll make me look like a pseudo-local, even with out of state plates, and avoid attention from the boys in blue. Wishful thinking perhaps but it makes me feel better.

You can take the front plate off, OH passed a law that says you don't have to have a front plate on now if you don't want to.

You will blend in more if you do that.

That license plate cover could also get you a ticket, potentially.

As to OP's instance, it sounds like the dealer stole his plate, where did they get off thinking they could just change a customer's car.

I would have probably politely asked them to un-do what they did, let them reclaim their frame, and more than likely never go there again and tell everyone about what they did forever.

I haven't heard of it. I don't use dealer plate frames, I like my black silicone ones. Also no dealer badges or stickers, they'd be removed before I were to ever take the car home if the dealer did that.

Forgot to say those in car sales at the Honda dealer I worked at had to have a rear dealer license plate frame on their vehicle. The same dealer also said if we didn't donate to the United Way, to quit or be fired.

I have never seen or heard of it before this thread, but I could definitely see some dealers doing it if it's something management pushes. Where I work it's enough of a struggle to service the car as requested and not lose the keys that nobody is worrying about a tag frame. Only the 3 hour oil change certified experts would notice, and only to say "well they stripped the drain plug." Even if service wanted more tags and frames, detail would beat them to it.

Yup I had Chicago Bears plate frames and a dealer swapped them for their dealer frames during warranty work I complained and they bought me new frames. I won't visit there again.

That's nuts ... who do they think they are having zero consideration for people's personal property. I'd be livid if they removed my custom license plate frames and put some mickey mouse plastic dealership frames on. This is one of a 100 reasons I don't let dealerships work on my vehicles.

I remember going with a friend to buy a car at a Subaru dealer. They paint their logo on the back of the trunk lid. PAINT. He told the sales guy do not put a logo on the WRX he was buying. Salesman said if he didn't then no free state inspections. He said he didn't care, don't put a logo on the car. Sure enough, they put a logo on it. He refused to pay/sign for it. They had to remove it. haha

Since the originals were another dealer's frames I wouldn't care. But if I had put custom frames in I would.

Back