Do dealers do this often?

You can take the front plate off, OH passed a law that says you don't have to have a front plate on now if you don't want to.

You will blend in more if you do that.
I haven't had front plates on any of my cars in about a decade, never got pulled over or hassled in any way. Now I can throw away the front plates and unused brackets that were stacked up in the garage, on the off-chance I'd have to put the front plates on the cars.

The only time that I had that happen was when a Ford dealer that I purchased a truck from replaced one of their own (that was faded) with a newer version. It was a small town dealer that treated me right, so I left it on and I didn't really care.
The Honda dealership (local) that I frequent for warranty/recall detail has a different tact. When they saw that I purchased the car from a dealer in NE Ohio, they sent someone into the waiting room looking for me to inquire why I didn't purchase a car from them. They didn't really like my response.
They'll have a cow if I have to take the new one in for anything, with an out of state LP frame. Told Mrs. Tdbo that we were leaving it on for awhile for that very purpose.

Not a fan of it but I have seen it happen. Its usually a porter doing it who don't know any better and are usually just doing as they are told. I don't run plate frames, I think the car looks better without and as 02SE said, they aren't paying me to have them on the car. One of the times mine was in for service I caught a porter putting them on my Mustang. He was using an impact driver and stripped out the holes on the front mount. Service bought me a new one. Plus they warped the one plate which I ended up replacing when I got the newer California black plates.

I worked at a BMW dealer in high school and on slow days the owner wanted us to install our plate frame on any service vehicles that didn’t have a frame on them. I personally don’t put keep any frames/decals on my vehicles.

this ain't anything. i was in a tyre shop doing my periodical tyre rotation.
i was on the phone while they were rotating the tyres.

****ers changed my license plate frames in the wink of an eye! i realized it the next day!
i think i'm just gonna toss the frames and glue the **** plate onto the bumper!

When my mom first bought her 2011 Honda Fit they kept putting those stupid plate frames on it with the dealer name. Included in the car purchase was 3 free oil changes, each time they would add another frame since we had removed them. On the last go around I told them to stop, because they aren't paying me to advertise for them.

When I buy a new car first thing when getting home is removing the frames, my Navy Retired frames go on. ;)

My friend bought a car at Dealership A a few years ago. The dealership installed black license plate covers with dealership A's name on it.

Since my friend regularly services his car at Dealership A and that dealer treats my friend well, My friend left those license plate covers installed.

Recently, my friend had to go to Dealership B to get some urgent work done.

When my friend drove his car home, he noticed that Dealership B removed the existing "Dealership A" license plate covers and installed their own "Dealership B" license plate covers. Obviously this was not on the work order.

So my question is, Do dealers regularly remove other dealership license plate covers and install their own?

Standard practice... Whatever else, that has to be done....

So, nobody has ever gotten a Barely Obstructed Plate charge?

Last edited:
They save those for people they want to pull over for... other reasons. Are you saying that’s you?

No, just saying that you can get pulled for a Barely Obstructed Plate. And you can be pulled for that all by itself.

There is a whole thread on license plate covers, and nobody else has mentioned that you can actually be stopped for them.

I've never got a dealer plate frame. I guess all the dealers I've bought from were too cheap to buy them but, on new cars I've always got either a sticker placed on the trunk lid or a dealer emblem put on with double sided tape. Only time my cars ever go back to a dealer is for a recall or warranty work.

I'm surprised some dealers don't drill holes and pop-rivet their dealership logo on the truck lid. Could you imaging that lunacy? o_O

No, just saying that you can get pulled for a Barely Obstructed Plate. And you can be pulled for that all by itself.
A statement like this really needs clarification on the (US) state in question. In Ohio, this is not true as long as the numbers or the stickers in the two lower corners aren't covered. Many plate frames have thicker/wider bottom borders which block the stickers Ohio uses.

frame-1.jpg
That ^^ can get you pulled over, while

frame-2.jpg
this should not.

I'm surprised some dealers don't drill holes and pop-rivet their dealership logo on the truck lid. Could you imaging that lunacy? o_O
The dealer that sold me my '89 S-15 Jimmy did just that, into the lower corner of the tail-gate...

The dealer that sold me my '89 S-15 Jimmy did just that, into the lower corner of the tail-gate...

When it was sold new, or when you took it into the dealership for service?

Back