Do Catalytic Converter Cleaners Work

walterjay

Site Donor 2023
My 2015 Ford Transit check engine light has been coming on and off. Dealer said need new converter. Very Pricey. I want to try a converter cleaner. Has anybody used one with success. Is there one that is recommended?

IIRC scotty kilmer took his off and washed it with tide laundry detergent. The theory is you get soot on top of the precious metals.

Check your extended cat warranty BTW, could be up to 120-150k miles.

Check the scrap value of your current cat, it might pay for a new aftermarket one, and then some.

The rear o2 spacer (18mm spark plug anti fouler) DOES work.

Are you on the hook for the repair? Is your vehicle under the 8yr/whatever mile emissions warranty? I'm guessing not, otherwise you'd just be letting the dealer replace, after all...

Can you get a second diagnosis on this? If it's really pricey then maybe it's worth some diagnostic time? Without knowing miles, 6 years seems young for a modern cat to be dying--I wonder if there is an underlying cause, or perhaps misdiagnosis.

I believe most of them are referred to as snake oil. However, when I got a P0420 on our RX330, I cleared the code and used back to back bottles of Cataclean with Shell premium fuel. Since the cost to replace was close to $1,500, I decided it was worth a try.

The CEL came on at ~252,000 miles, the vehicle now has 263,700 miles and the CEL is off. Maybe it comes back on tomorrow and I will need to replace the catalytic converter, but if nothing else, I deferred the repair for more than 18 months.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the vehicle passed emissions testing after running Cataclean.

YMMV.

IIRC scotty kilmer took his off and washed it with tide laundry detergent. The theory is you get soot on top of the precious metals.

Check your extended cat warranty BTW, could be up to 120-150k miles.

Check the scrap value of your current cat, it might pay for a new aftermarket one, and then some.

The rear o2 spacer (18mm spark plug anti fouler) DOES work.
Standard federal warranty is 8 years/80k. There are some Pzev vehicles out there where emissions is covered up to 15/150k. What's the code from the CEL?

I tried Cataclean on my Ranger and it didn't do anything, but I had an actual restriction problem and not just a not cleaning well enough problem.

I would try it again before replacing a cat, but I wouldn't have high expectations. It's a $30 lottery ticket.

$1,250.00 for Transit
That's the dealer price right? I think the converter is around $500 on rockauto. Local indy is probably a few hundred to install it. And if you save the old one, not sure how much it's worth used. Depending on the model, the old ones can be worth several hundred.

Reactions: JC1
as noted i would double check "the dealer said" could be an O2 sensor but they want to replace, let us say, "more"

Go to AZ and read the code;

I used a direct fit Eastern Catalytic on my echo, fit was excellent, install pretty easy.

as noted (elsewhere) a 6 year cat failure is unexpected.

As new as that is you could probably replace it and not have to worry about the bolts breaking. I tell you what cleaned my dads catalytic converter on his car is Castrol Ultraclean oil it was bad we started using that oil and it helped it last a lot longer before we had to replace it.

I wonder if you could find a compatible one at a junkyard. Maybe you'll get lucky and find out if the cat in your transit is also in other ford models.

Federal law prohibits junk yard sales of catalytic converters except for scrap.
And it's a shame really, Lot's of good converters melted down for no good reason. If you're "IN" with a wreaking yard.....They'll bend the rules & sell them to you. But the "IN" means they've known you for years & you've spent a lot of money with them. Not many well run yards that haven't been bought out though.

I believe there is a Certification process for used catalyst but it's cost prohibitive.

I just paid $725 for a cat installation on a '98 Accord LX 4 banger with 123K miles.
That's a good price here in CA; $800 is more like it. Sheesh.
Ca wont allow a generic cat to be installed. It must be stamped with a code and that code has to match the car it is on. The smog guy will check.

I firmly believe that many cat failures are from worn spark plugs.

Last time I checked the 3 c.a.r.b. cats for my jeep ran about $2400.

Back