Early Catalytic Converter Failure Ford F-150

I have a 2020 Ford F-150 with the 2.7 EcoBoost. The truck has 30,000 miles. Yesterday, I got a MIL light. My Ford Pass notified me to check engine soon, catalytic converter problems. My local Ford dealership confirmed that I needed a converter replacement and ordered the parts. This condition falls under Ford TSB 22-2260. What's causing these early failures? Is it fauly converters?

Last edited:
Screenshot_20230429-072939_FordPass.jpg

It is interesting the CC failed. Is it one side or both?

I suspect it is simply a bad cat with an insufficient coating. But there is always the risk of contamination from other sources. Oil is one possible source, and of course, fuel.

Do you frequent a particular gas station that might be suspect?

While not really related, when I travel to Newburgh, NY, I've been purchasing 93 octane premium and getting 87 (or worse), the problem has been at numerous gas stations in the local area and continues to happen. If I travel far enough away, I get good fuel.

Large number of knock events, and timing pulled, and terrible MPG. On one batch, I was down to 3/4 tank in 16 miles and 1/2 tank in 50 miles.

I have a 2020 Ford F-150 with the 2.7 EcoBoost. The truck has 30,000 miles. Yesterday, I got a MIL light. My Ford Pass notified me to check engine soon, catalytic converter problems. My local Ford dealership confirmed that I needed a converter replacement and ordered the parts. This condition falls under Ford TSB 22-2260. What's causing these early failures? Is it fauly converters?
I would also want to know the fuel trims to make sure a rich condition isn't ruining the converters.

it is most likely a manufacturing defect. Let them fix it... and dont worry about it.

Which leads me to another question> why do people with little automotive repair experience think they should second guess a high dollar warrantee repair made on the auto industry's dime? It isn't like they told you they are all like that and nothing is wrong with it.. :)

One side effected.
I am going to have them check the fuel trim when they install the new converter.
There are several vehicles involved in the TSB.

I remember Ford had a problem with catalytic converters going bad for the 2000-2002 F150s.. The cat would get blocked up and blow the manifold gasket.. At least this time they actually stepped up to replace it..
One bad at 30,000 miles. I wouldn't be surprised if the other failed shortly.

Ya that's how it was back in the day with the f150.. Well you're under warranty! That should help at least..
I need to determine what caused the failure.
Manufacturing defect?
Running rich or dumping unburned gas?
I'll have the technician check the fuel trim for being within specs.
I wouldn't think sulfur content of the fuel caused it. All of our gasoline is supposed to be low sulfur. The truck doesn't burn oil or lose coolant.

I need to determine what caused the failure.
Manufacturing defect?
Running rich or dumping unburned gas?
I wouldn't think sulfur content of the fuel caused it. All of our gasoline is supposed to be low sulfur. The truck doesn't burn oil or lose coolant.
I bet we'd all like to know what causing the failure! Let us know what you find! I think the f150's back in the day were collapsing, the honeycomb catalyst structure was clogging/fracturing. Once that hit, instant blockage.

I bet we'd all like to know what causing the failure! Let us know what you find! I think the f150's back in the day were collapsing, the honeycomb catalyst structure was clogging/fracturing. Once that hit, instant blockage.
I'll let you know after the part gets here and it's gotten a going over.

The converter was replaced. No explanation on why it threw the code. The service advisor said that some were defective from the supplier.
I never experienced any performance problems.
The two 100 mph pulls caused the MIL light to go out.

Last edited:
The converter was replaced. No explanation on why it threw the code. The service advisor said that some were defective from the supplier.
I never experienced any performance problems.
I'd just chalk it up to low quality from the supplier. Makes more sense now on why it just threw a code. Sensors are probably very sensitive for environmental reasons. Catch the problem earlier before it really poses an issue. Then you'd never experience problems caught it way before that.

Thanks for the update!(y)

Back