Inexpensive catalytic converter worth it?

Researcher...
I think you are on to something. I'll see if I can look inside over between the sidewall and the substrate. See if anything is missing. This material is only at this one location, at the very front inlet side, not in between the two catalytic structures. Odd you would think the flow of exhaust gases would push the vermiculite back to the center section or out the back of the converter.
ya I couldn't think of anything else it might be.. sounds good, see if you can look over to the sidewalls. I know, I was thinking it should get pushed downstream but who knows.. maybe yours wasn't broken in well and over time that matting just moved around in the airstream until it blocked it. be interesting to see what you find, and then if you can't see it, could always cut it apart to look inside. (y)

There is a hidden "catch" to redeeming the CARB compliant warranty. Before purchasing my replacement cat., I spoke with Walker Exhaust and Magnaflow about buying a CARB compliant cat. with the longer warranty for my Honda which resides in a non-CARB state (Virginia). Both companies advised me to buy the cheaper non-CARB compliant cat. because redeeming the 5 yr./ 50K mi. CARB warranty requires producing a failed emissions test certificate from a state which adheres to CARB emissions standards (e.g., California, Washington, Colorado, etc.). The warranty is not honored for vehicles registered in a non-CARB state.

That exclusion may not be legal under federal or California law.

Even without actually having to use the warranty, the CARB cats have more precious metal and will last loner than a federal EPA non-CARB cat.

Also, Virginia becomes a CARB state in 2025.

Installed a new inexpensive cat. Power is restored and everything is fine....for now. I saved the old converter and did a little poking around in side of it. Can someone explain to me what this crud is? Most of it chips off easily with a pic and the substrate underneath is in tact. It's gritty like stone or minerals. Removing it does not unblock the cat. It's restricted or blocked down many of the tiny holes.View attachment 188691View attachment 188692
If you want to sell your old cat I've had good luck with rrcats.com (Rockaway Recycling). It used to be if over $75 they send you a UPS label. Not sure if they're still doing that with rising costs on everything.

I've been looking into that. The cat has to meet some spec, not melted and physically in tact. I'm going to play with this thing, see if I can get it unplugged. Almost impossible they say but I'm not very bright and it's a toy right now. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Love
Reactions: D60
That exclusion may not be legal under federal or California law.
I don't know if anyone has challenged that exclusion...just restating what the Walker and Magnaflow representatives told me on the phone.
Even without actually having to use the warranty, the CARB cats have more precious metal and will last loner than a federal EPA non-CARB cat.
The additional precious metals are specifically needed to meet the CARB emissions testing criteria for 5 yrs. If you're not in a CARB compliant state there is no emission testing; therefore, any additional platinum/palladium/rhodium has no bearing on the functional life of a non-CARB catalytic converter.

Also, Virginia becomes a CARB state in 2025.
I seriously doubt it will occur. The gubernatorial office in VA has changed parties since the CARB compliance bill was passed in 2021. The General Assembly has not included any funding in the budget to build the infrastructure to enact CARB emissions testing prior to 2025. I guess we will know for certain in 2 years.

I don't know if anyone has challenged that exclusion...just restating what the Walker and Magnaflow representatives told me on the phone.

The additional precious metals are specifically needed to meet the CARB emissions testing criteria for 5 yrs. If you're not in a CARB compliant state there is no emission testing; therefore, any additional platinum/palladium/rhodium has no bearing on the functional life of a non-CARB catalytic converter.

There certainly is emissions testing in many non-CARB states! Texas, Ohio, Arizona, Georgia, and many others have emissions testing

Some CARB states don't have emissions testing. Washington and Minnesota, for example.

There are even a few counties in California that are exempt from smog check!

I seriously doubt it will occur. The gubernatorial office in VA has changed parties since the CARB compliance bill was passed in 2021. The General Assembly has not included any funding in the budget to build the infrastructure to enact CARB emissions testing prior to 2025. I guess we will know for certain in 2 years.

Virginia already has emissions testing.

Update:
Examining the substrate and matting material shows no sign of any physical damage that would allow the vermiculite material to migrate to the forward end of the converter. The only logical conclusion is a manufacturing defect left some loose matting material in the intake of the converter. Thank you Hyundai!

Update:
Examining the substrate and matting material shows no sign of any physical damage that would allow the vermiculite material to migrate to the forward end of the converter. The only logical conclusion is a manufacturing defect left some loose matting material in the intake of the converter. Thank you Hyundai!
ahh thanks for the update! I wondered how the heck it could've moved from the sides around to the front. so yup manufacturing defect which lead you to the catalytic trouble code!

How's your new aftermarket cat working?

There never was a trouble code, just poor drivability. The new cat appears to function properly. The old cat doesn't looked plugged but it is. I have tried every chemical I have on hand to clean it, but no go. I've considered a long piece of thin drill rod or piano wire to poke through all the holes but it would probably take me 726 hours.

There never was a trouble code, just poor drivability. The new cat appears to function properly. The old cat doesn't looked plugged but it is. I have tried every chemical I have on hand to clean it, but no go. I've considered a long piece of thin drill rod or piano wire to poke through all the holes but it would probably take me 726 hours.
ahh.. ya too much work.. ok so just driveability, glad to hear the new one is working well!! at least there is a good ending and didn't cost ya that much! (y)

FIL's camry got a cat efficiency code that would "go away" after some long highway driving. It was only 97 and 120k miles but he always neglect it and start the car without fixing the starter that failed in the coil (disconnect when hot but cold start is ok). So I think the extra fuel he use to start the car when hot melted or poisoned the cat by the time it is already fixed. He just neglect it and keep driving and always try to pay smog stations under the table to pass it (but gets angry when they refuse for the fear of getting caught). So we alwyas just keep driving till the CEL goes away and then smog asap.

My 95 and 97 cars are still passing although not as good as new at 270k miles. I do replace the O2 sensors (front) regularly when Rockauto has them on sale (the generic ones that look like the same OEM as the Honda and Toyota I had, NTK I think). If they fail I would probably just bring in a CARB cat to a shop to weld.

Back