Catalytic converters aftermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a really sensitive car, any aftermarket may not do. Aftermarket cats have very little active material in them compared to an OEM. Certain vehicles, especially newer Chryslers and Asian vehicles really throw a fit.

Your old 92 Toyota has absolutely nothing checking catalyst efficiency, so this is not an issue. Your truck could probably pass with no cat at all, so any aftermarket cat should do fine.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
If you have a really sensitive car, any aftermarket may not do. Aftermarket cats have very little active material in them compared to an OEM. Certain vehicles, especially newer Chryslers and Asian vehicles really throw a fit.

Your old 92 Toyota has absolutely nothing checking catalyst efficiency, so this is not an issue. Your truck could probably pass with no cat at all, so any aftermarket cat should do fine.

You are right.

I don't have to hook up to smog in the county I live in to pass inspection since it is OBD1. As long as the converter is installed, the efficiency is not checked during inspection, but it is supposed to be installed if it came with it from the factory.

I could get away with punching out the old converter, but I like clean air as much as the next person, so I am not going to do that.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Look for a walker Cal/NY cat. Eastern is a good cat too. A Cal cat flows just as good as a Federal the Cal cat just has a heavier wash coat which allows the cat to work properly for a longer period, none are as heavy as the OE.
If yours is a 4WD the WALKER 80941 is the one you want.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4306449&cc=1277939&jsn=383

My pickup is two wheel drive, and from what I have researched so far, there are no direct fit CARB/NY cats available for my truck. Everybody has the universal fit. Walker 80904 universal CARB is supposed to fit. Costs about $105 plus what ever installation charge there would be. Thinking that buying it would be my best bet for long term performance, and more than likely save money over the long run.

If you're concerned with clean air, get the CARB version. 49-staters are typically little more than window dressing.

Do keep in mind that your particular make and model has been the ultimate poster child for cat theft. I'm sure you've seen on the Toyota forums that it has become enough of an issue that many have welded cages and plates around theirs to prevent theft.

Edit: This one is for 4WD only?

Edit: Forgot the fraggin' link.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-39884-Direct-Catalytic-Converter/dp/compatibility-chart/B001P9XHJ6

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
If you're concerned with clean air, get the CARB version. 49-staters are typically little more than window dressing.

Do keep in mind that your particular make and model has been the ultimate poster child for cat theft. I'm sure you've seen on the Toyota forums that it has become enough of an issue that many have welded cages and plates around theirs to prevent theft.

Yes, that's what I have decided to do is to buy the CARB version.

Dang battery operated sawzall at it again! I read a post from one person that has the same truck as mine, and he sold his for scrap, and got $150.00 because he sold it by the numbers instead of category. Not sure if the person was stretching the truth or not. Seen others say that they got around $75 scrap price selling it by category.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Originally Posted By: Trav
Look for a walker Cal/NY cat. Eastern is a good cat too. A Cal cat flows just as good as a Federal the Cal cat just has a heavier wash coat which allows the cat to work properly for a longer period, none are as heavy as the OE.
If yours is a 4WD the WALKER 80941 is the one you want.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4306449&cc=1277939&jsn=383

My pickup is two wheel drive, and from what I have researched so far, there are no direct fit CARB/NY cats available for my truck. Everybody has the universal fit. Walker 80904 universal CARB is supposed to fit. Costs about $105 plus what ever installation charge there would be. Thinking that buying it would be my best bet for long term performance, and more than likely save money over the long run.

If at all possible and parts are available I keep the emission controls in good condition, I cant see the vehicle polluting any more than necessary. If the car is on its last legs and someone needs to get a year more or less out of it then fine, even the state will give a waiver for a year.

Aftermarket cats, aka one-pass cats. Lovely creatures they are indeed.

Here's some sorely needed comic relief for this somber topic:

(This video was posted for entertainment purposes only. I personally would not advise doing what Kilmer says to do.)

Clean the cat with a ratio of 9 gallons of gas to one gallon of lacquer thinner, or Scotty says to take it off, and let it soak in dish detergent. Some people claim it works.

Was reading some posts on that video, and one person claimed that Easy-Off oven cleaner worked good after a soaking in it. Then after it was cleaned to rinse it out with alcohol. Oven cleaner sure does get rid of baked on grease/oil, so I think it could possibly work.

Quote:
I just am not set up at home to be doing exhaust work flat on my back.

Very stressful experience. I had my car on jackstands on the front, then crawled in under the car from the sides so I wouldn't have to put my whole body under the car. Was much easier to access, torch and torque the fasteners this way actually. Put a couple of extra jack stands around me so if something failed I wouldn't be cut in two.

It was still a stressful experience overall though because laying down on your chest makes it hard to put 50ftlbs like they call for. When I was done my arms, should and chest were dead.

Originally Posted By: beechcraftted
I have had good success with the "Catco" brand. Made in Indiana as well.

I have a Catco in my Infiniti. Nice to hear it's made in the States.

Originally Posted By: C4Dave
When the CC went out on my Miata, I took it to a small independent muffler shop. He welded on a 1/2" larger diameter CC for $100 total including the CC. 5 years later no problems and no CELs.

You have a 25 year old pickup with 300,000 miles. Don't over think this.

I can buy a universal fit for about $45 sure, and then have it welded on, or I can buy a direct fit for $100, and do it myself, and keep the original exhaust flanges intact. The exhaust flanges are still in good shape. Just the bolts and nut will have to be replaced, but those will cheap at my local hardware. In the end, the price will be about the same except my exhaust will be butchered if I go the universal route.

I do plan on replacing the exhaust from cat back with a bolt on kit, so I want to keep the flanges intact, at least the one flange from drop down pipe to front of cat.

You have good reasons for what you are doing. Try using Kroil on the nuts/bolts, and use new hardware coated with anti-seize when installing.

FWIW, Eastern cats are made in Pennsylvania
smile.gif

Clean the cat with a ratio of 9 gallons of gas to one gallon of lacquer thinner, or Scotty says to take it off, and let it soak in dish detergent. Some people claim it works.

I don't know about running lacquer thinner through my fuel injection system like Scotty Kilmer did, but I can see how blasting oven cleaner and hot soapy water through the honeycombs to clean the contaminants out would work. I'm thinking that some blasts of compressed air with some fabricated rubber or wooden bungs in the inlet / outlet pipes in the hot soapy water with multiple forward / reverse flushes would work best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back