DIY Strut Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why two types of lock nuts on the new installation?

When you bent the bracket on the new Bilstein, was it good that no family members were present to hear any expletives?

Nice write up.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I still think it would need an alignment, the toe should not change but how will the camber be the same?

How would it change? There is no adjustment on the bolts, in fact, they get hammered into place. There is zero motion in the strut/knuckle assembly when they are hammered in.

You cant change the camber on these without do a hole elongation on the strut which is similar to some other cars OEM.
They should be well within spec using stock springs. lowering springs or lifting will have an affect.

I have never seen such a good photo of Bilstein struts, now I understand why they cost more and last longer than other brands.

I think I will use them in the future when I get the chance.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Why two types of lock nuts on the new installation?

When you bent the bracket on the new Bilstein, was it good that no family members were present to hear any expletives?

Nice write up.

Ugh!!!

I ordered a bunch of stuff from eeuroparts because they had febi bilstein mounts and bearings, as well as the oe bolts. I ordered the locknuts, and they were wurth brand. When I went to install the bolts, only two of the six locknuts would thread on. Why I don't know. They wouldn't thread onto the strut bolts or the sway bar link. They looked identical, same size, same looking thread, different brand...

So I had to reuse some lock nuts. I reused the bolt on one side after I got smart, as I figured I'll just zip it off and torque in a new set when the vendor ships it. They did. So I have to go do it, I probably will when I swap back to regular tires from my snows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back