R&R CV Axle on 1996 Maxima

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace/reboot my driver's side axle on a '96 Maxima with auto trans. Need to pull the axle out even if I decide to throw a new boot on, but I'm seeing conflicting how-to's on how the procedure goes.

I've done a few axles before on other cars and on any with McPherson strut suspension involved removing axle nut, then tie rod end and lower ball joint from steering knuckle, then pulling the knuckle out of the way just enough to get the axle to slide out. In fact this Youtube video describes this approach on my exact vehicle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rqZkrMqy30.

But *every* forum post I've been able to dig up online that describes the process involves a different method-- leaving the lower ball joint & tie rod end alone, and instead, removing the two bolts attaching the strut to the knuckle. As per: https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/621700-how-replace-driver-side-axle.html.

There seems to be no clear answer as to whether or not breaking the strut bolts loose will affect the alignment.. I was always under the impression that anytime you mess with the strut bolts / replace the strut, you need to get the car realigned. But others in forums suggest that the bolts are not "camber bolts" or something to that effect and that all is well with the alignment before and after.

I'm thoroughly confused on which way to go about this. Any suggestions?

If you remove the two nuts on the strut, you must get an alignment.

If you can just remove the ball joint you can avoid getting an alignment but not sure she can come out that way.

Just something to think about if she isn't too crusty

I have done a few of these, mostly I30's of the same year. The holes in the strut and knuckle have a lot of slop. If you remove those bolts you will definitely need an alignment.

The best way to remove the CV axle on those is to remove those two bolts and tie rod end. Then the job becomes very easy.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
There seems to be no clear answer as to whether or not breaking the strut bolts loose will affect the alignment.. I was always under the impression that anytime you mess with the strut bolts / replace the strut, you need to get the car realigned. But others in forums suggest that the bolts are not "camber bolts" or something to that effect and that all is well with the alignment before and after.

I'm thoroughly confused on which way to go about this. Any suggestions?

Why not wait and see how it drives afterwards? If it goes straight without pulling to one side, leave it be.

If removing the two bolts that holds the strut on will necessitate an alignment, I will go the other route and simply pull off the ball joint and tie rod end. That's how I've done every other car and the Autozone Youtube video linked above shows a guy doing just that procedure (on a 4th gen Maxima no less) so it must be possible.

Alignments are expensive and the alignment is presently spot on; no need to break what doesn't need broken!

I recently changed a CV axle on a 1995 Maxima in less than 30 minutes. You don't need an alignment if you remove the two strut pinch bolts because they are normal round bolts, not eccentric adjustable bolts as found on a few cars. These bolts have no impact on the caster/camber alignment of this Maxima. However, if you try to remove the ball joint and/or tie rod end, you might damage the rubber boot. Also, you won't lose a drop of ATF if you only jack up one side as high as possible and leave the other tire on the ground. Here is a video that shows how to do it on a 1996 Maxima:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-JWAhql7eY

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back