DIY first time oil change toyota camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
It means that after 4+ pages in another forum and 14 pages here, it still leaks and you're still asking.

I'll stick with my recommendation of returning all the items you bought so you don't drop a car on yourself. Please go back to using the quick lube. You don't really belong under the hood. Also, not trying to be a jerk. I'm serious.

15.gif

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I guess that implies I'm a jerk, if so, so be it, but I'm not the only one.

I'm not implying anything on anyone. If I think someone is a jerk, I don't imply, I simply tell them.

There are many pages of silliness that we took the ball and ran with for fun. I simply wanted the OP to know that my comment (which could be interpreted as being jerky) is in fact a real recommendation. This guy does not belong under the hood of a car and definitely does not belong under a car that HE set up on jack stands.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I guess that implies I'm a jerk, if so, so be it, but I'm not the only one.

I'm not implying anything on anyone. If I think someone is a jerk, I don't imply, I simply tell them.

There are many pages of silliness that we took the ball and ran with for fun. I simply wanted the OP to know that my comment (which could be interpreted as being jerky) is in fact a real recommendation. This guy does not belong under the hood of a car and definitely does not belong under a car that HE set up on jack stands.

Thanks for clarifying, and I totally agree!

i won't give up and i haven't

it's been OK

can I seafoam after the oil change or before? and must i change the oil right after i put seafoam in the crankcase or fuel line?

Originally Posted By: engineer20

it's been OK

can I seafoam after the oil change or before? and must i change the oil right after i put seafoam in the crankcase or fuel line?

Please don't Seafoam your car. I'm pretty sure bitog doesn't want to do step by step on rebuilding a Camry engine because the whole can was chugged down the throttle body at once.

Just thought of something else, if you use achinese crescent wrench you probably will round off the corners of the drain plug, but that's nothing major as you then can get a Chinese vice grips to grip the plug to remove it, it's pretty simple but can be confusing at times, if all else fails use a pair of slip joint pliers, Sam has those also, explain what you're trying to do and he will sell you the right size.

Good idea.

My favorite way to get off a stuck drain plug is using a pickle-fork (the ones for taking off stuck tierods) and use a BFH

Show me where you have read that you add Seafoam via a fuel line.

Yup, folks that are stubborn rarely give up, even when it's obvious they should.

I'm not sure if you are able to accomplish this or not, but I am more than sure you will attempt to do this, now whether you try to do this the right way or not is totally in question.

Please don't ask us what to do if you happen to spill a drop or two of the SeaFoam, just call the hazmet team and you may get thru it alright.

it's been OK

Add 1 can to your fuel tank, through the fuel filler using a funnel, when you fill the gas tank. Add the product using the funnel, remove the funnel, then fill up the gas tank. The gas gauge (that's on your instrument cluster) should read (F)ull.

-Forget about- trying to introduce any additives and/or cleaners to your oil on any vehicles you own, until you master performing a basic oil/filter change on that particular vehicle.

You are all over the map with oil/filter choices and questions, yet I read above where you purchased a USED jack that was not properly maintained by the previous owner.

FORGET about 'scoring an oil stash' and FOCUS on obtaining the proper equipment needed to perform a basic oil change safely, e.g. Hydraulic jack, proper Jack stands, and Wheel chocks for the back wheels. WITH INSTRUCTIONS. READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO LIFT YOUR VEHICLE.

-Forget about- trying to introduce any additives and/or cleaners to your oil on any vehicles you own, until you master performing a basic oil/filter change on that particular vehicle.

* When you can safely and reliably change your own oil and filter, THEN you should read the instructions for whatever product(s) you decide to use, research the application on your own, and ask -specific- questions as to application of same.

Nobody expects you to 'give up' or quit, but DON'T BE AN IDIOT. Make sure you fully understand the risks of performing maintenance under a lifted vehicle and do it SAFELY.

Arrogance or Pride will be of ZERO consolation to you, if you are injured due to improper vehicle lifting / support on this basic vehicle service.

* Don't ask me to tell you how to properly lift your vehicle.

Go out to your car, get the Owner's Manual out of the glove box, purchase a NEW jack / stand set, and wheel chocks with instructions, and RTFM for all of them.

I think the OP means he will continue undaunted in his posts no matter what.

It's a forum game I like to call "follow the rabbit" where someone gets some kind of gratification monopolizing a group of well-intentioned forum members with these types of posts.

No matter how many answers are provided, there are always more questions.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I think the OP means he will continue undaunted in his posts no matter what.

It's a forum game I like to call "follow the rabbit" where someone gets some kind of gratification monopolizing a group of well-intentioned forum members with these types of posts.

No matter how many answers are provided, there are always more questions.

You're exactly right.
At first I thought it was Asperger's syndrome.
But now I see it's just trolling.

it's not trolling
i'm just a first timer and I tried my best
as I said, I changed the oil but there was a drop underneath

before i did this, i spent months and hours reading bitog
where i learned all i did about oil and began to get a stash of oil based on recommendations, but though I had acquired the supplies, I was not sure as to how to do the oil change and made mistakes along the way of performing it

I changed oil the first time at the ripe old age of 14, and did not make a mistake.

If you screw up something as simple as changing oil, unscrewing plug, letting it drain, remove old filter, replace with new filter, replace plug, fill crankcase with correct amount of oil, replace fill cap, how in heavens name do you accomplish crossing the street on foot let alone drive around the block?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
A lot of engineers have no clue what-so-ever about car and maintenance. Many of them have no interest in learning how to keep their car(s) running properly.

I know a very smart engineer, he didn't know that he needed to change oil in his car once in a while. The first oil change was more than 20k miles after he bought a brand new Camaro, and only after I told him to do so.

I'm not sure that's an engineering issue as much as a stupid people show up in all walks of life. If anything, the engineers I know, and I know quite a few, are more knowledgable and more rigorous than others, and there is also a mentality to go exactly by the book to a t.

This thread has me stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back