DIY: 2018+ Camry 4-cyl ATF Change (UB80E)

Originally Posted by supton

I dunno--I mean, technically, all 4 wheels are supposed to come off every 7,500 miles (give or take for normal rotation). But taking one off for a trans service every (30k? 60k? 120k?) is a bridge too far?

Maybe not a bridge too far, but a dipstick or a fill port on top makes more sense, if ya ask me...
Far less opportunity for a big red mess.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by supton

I dunno--I mean, technically, all 4 wheels are supposed to come off every 7,500 miles (give or take for normal rotation). But taking one off for a trans service every (30k? 60k? 120k?) is a bridge too far?

Maybe not a bridge too far, but a dipstick or a fill port on top makes more sense, if ya ask me...
Far less opportunity for a big red mess.

No doubt about that. My first automatic is a "sealed" one and my next two aren't. I'm not convinced any of them have the edge over the either though! When I have refilled the one with a dipstick I have to wait some long time so that the dipstick tubing has fully drained--the sealed transmission is "stupid" in making the measurement in a small temperature zone, but while it's in that zone it's actually dirt simple to check. And to top off it's not that bad (sure helps that it is a truck and I can crawl under it to do this--if it was a Camry I'd probably be cursing right now).

My new-to-me CRV, they put the dipstick in a real brilliant place--under the battery. Putting it back in means using braille. At least the engine doesn't have to be running to be checked.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Where's a good place to get the idemitsu atf from? Thanks.

Amazon has decent pricing on the 5-qt jugs.

Thanks! This is great information.

Camry's, especially the 4cyl's, used to be the most reliable & easy to maintain cars to own. Easy to replace brakes, Tune-ups(older cars), OCIs, ATF D&Fs or even pan drops/screen changes. Now they've become a PITA.

My BIL is on his 4th Camry(2018 LE 2.5L 4cyl) and he hates it. Not that it is troublesome, it's just not the Camry's that he is used to. He's always had the 4 bangers and isn't into speed. But this one doesn't feel its 200 hp. However the power isn't his issue.

It's the cheapness of the controls, the hollow sounding doors, the firmer ride, & the hunting of the 8 speed tranny. Rear leg room is enormous but head room for the >6' ers is worst than when Camry's were a smaller car. And(he said), rear leg room was never an issue for taller passengers.

In addition(he said) if he didn't feel every single tranny shift up/down, it would go without mention. There's more, but too many to mention.

Back