Ditch the K&N for stock paper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 383 chevy small block. It makes about 450HP and 500TQ and it's in a daily driven vehicle. I have been running a K&N 14x4 round filter since the engine was new and it's at 30K miles now. I also have a ram air box surrounding the filter with dual 4" tubes that attach to the radiator support. Air comes through the front grill and into the tubes. I'm here because I've seen all the filtration tests on the internet, and in each one the K&N is the poorest performer.

I like the re-usability of the K&N and its ability to maintain high flow numbers over a long period of time and dirt, however if it means less useful miles out of the engine then that benefit goes out the window. It seems that even in NASCAR, where they run an engine 500 miles and it's toast, they use a dry fiberglass media filter that flows enough air for the engine. Even with the rapid wear on the engine from the mechanical stress, the extra filtration must be worth something during that 500 miles if they are paying that much attention to air filtration.

According to flow numbers I've seen floating around, a 14x4 paper filter is capable of flowing around 800 CFM which is more than enough for my engine. Paper will meet the CFM requirement just fine.

Sure the K&N has its advantages, but it has been proven that paper filters better than oiled gauze. Less dirt = less wear = longer engine life. All things considered, it seems like there is absolutely no reason to use a K&N as long as a properly sized paper filter is available. What do you all think?

It only gets on you MAF if it is not oiled properly. Lot of folks over oil it and then that excess gets sucked on to the MAF. I've used one on my F150 and have taken it off and the MAF is still squeaky clean. The oiled cotton gauze is going to filter better than a paper filter.....= longer engine life. That's the way I look at it, never fell for the more horsepower thing that they all claimed.

From what I've read (and I don't by any means claim to be an expert), most OEM paper air filters are supposed to filter a lot better in terms of efficiency than the K&N. Supposedly, the K&N is best for air flow but worst for filtration efficiency.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
...The oiled cotton gauze is going to filter better than a paper filter.....= longer engine life. That's the way I look at it, never fell for the more horsepower thing that they all claimed.

Visual proof
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

Scientific proof
http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrolet-g...er-testing.html

After seeing these two tests, I can't see how anyone could believe a K&N filter is as good as, or better than a paper filter.

Obviously the K&N filters aren't terrible in their filtration ability, but there is a certain amount of fine particles K&N filters let through.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jasper8146
From what I've read (and I don't by any means claim to be an expert), most OEM paper air filters are supposed to filter a lot better in terms of efficiency than the K&N. Supposedly, the K&N is best for air flow but worst for filtration efficiency.

That is an excellent summary.

There is no free lunch, and the K&N approach gains airflow but allows silica into the intake, which as you might imagine is not a good thing for engine wear.

Paper filter = inexpensive, readily available, easily replaced, excellent filtration efficiency.

What's not to like?
thumbsup2.gif

"Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. " And the K& costs more. Need we say more?

John

Originally Posted By: Pyrotechnic
According to flow numbers I've seen floating around, a 14x4 paper filter is capable of flowing around 800 CFM which is more than enough for my engine.

That works fine for one day until the thing gets clogged up full of dirt and suffocates your engine.

Thanks everyone. The K&N is coming off the truck and a paper filter is going back in. I found that GM actually used a 14x4 round paper filter on their older diesel V8's and it's ready available at auto parts stores for $10. Fram CA3492. At that price I can change it with every oil change if necessary.

The only other filter I would consider (besides the stock paper nyou are using) for your app is the S&B, which dirt circle trackers use.

It is a DRY, NOT oiled, but very efficient filter which is ONLY made in round, carb apps, and universal cone shaped sizes (NO OEM/panel filters at all
frown.gif
).

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Im not a fan of any filter that uses oil technology period. That oil gets on your MAF sensor and messes it up.

Uhmm, no.

K&N testing

Last edited:
I used to be a big fan of k&n, I only use paper filters now. Cheap and easier to just replace then cleaning / oiling the k&n. K&n just not worth it for me

I only partly believe the wear is an issue, if you change your oil and oil filter regularly what we we talking about? getting 500k miles instead of 515k?

I haven't actually SEEN any one have issue due to the filter or anyone point to the filter as a cause.

I was going to ask the same question! (so I won't start a new thread)

I have a "High performance" after market K&N air filter, the cone shaped style air filter, and I would like to change back to a "regular" air filter, but since the "high performance" kit replaces the stock air filter chamber and tubing, I would like to replace "just" the Cone shaped K&N air filter with a paper filter of the same approximate dimensions.

The question is, how do I find a replacement cone shaped air filter?

The K&N filter is this:
K&N 57-3021-1
(or that is the current model for my truck, I have a 2001 GMC Sierra)

Should I just go into a Auto Supply store with my current filter, and look for a paper filter that would fit?

Do yall have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back