Disposable Oil Change Boxes

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
I ordered these disposable oil change boxes from Amazon.co.jp a to give them a try and make a YouTube video about an oil change tool not known in this part of the world.

The recycling system in Japan allows for the separation of flammable items for incineration, unlike here in the US, a product like this wouldn't be recyclable at all which probably explains why you won't find it stateside. I personally would prefer using disposable oil change boxes than dealing with oil pans and driving oil to the recycling center, but we don't have the recycling system to support this.

Disposable Oil Change Box 1.jpg
2.5L.jpg

Last edited:
I remember seeing these in NJ about 15 years ago, They didn't last long and soon disappeared.
Was a plastic container with absorbent in it, It would have ended up in the garbage dump so I guess it was banned.

This is also a Hawaii thing too since there is no way to non-commercially dispose of used oil and our trash is incinerated for energy.

I have a ~20qt box in my garage right now. Takes 2-3 oil changes easy.

Our local auto parts store carries these. Locals only brah 🤙

earlchngbox.jpg

Last edited:
I need a roll of that paper.

Scion doesn't look like needed changing...

In the lower 48 there is no telling what you would get in the thing...

What do they do with the filters in Japan?

With the possible exception of a remote location, these boxes are a gross misapplication.
The added dirty absorbent paper, plastic bag and the box are unnecessary.
A catch pan and transport to a recycling tank is no big hardship.

Just because something is dreamt up doesn't mean it's a good idea which should be produced.

These things are beyond wasteful.

Isn't that interesting how do you think they re-refine that oil once they've dumped it into what ever that stuff is? No I'll just keep my 2.5 gallon Jug and just and take it down to overpriced O'Really's to recycle.

I just ues a drain pan with a spout then empty the used oil in a empty 5 gallon jug of oil or a empty bottle of windshield washer fluid...Then off to either Wal Mart... Autozone or Advance Auto to dispose of it...

Interesting Idea if the stuff is incinerated.

Our counties here in SC collect oil in a large tank at recycling centers all over the place. We pay I think 10 cents per jug tax on oil to cover the cost. Its state law I believe. I am not sure why / how all these states with huge green energy pushes can't do the same, if backwards South Carolina can do it.

I remember seeing these in NJ about 15 years ago, They didn't last long and soon disappeared.
Was a plastic container with absorbent in it, It would have ended up in the garbage dump so I guess it was banned.
I couldn't find any specific laws in my research for the video banning these items or even mandating consumer oil recycling so I guess it's all managed locally. Maybe the selling platform / store received a warning against selling these items, i.e. phone call from the EPA?

You can usually buy anything from Amazon or eBay buy you can't even find them for sale anywhere, so something must be stopping their sale, which is a good thing IMHO.

I have a ~20qt box in my garage right now. Takes 2-3 oil changes easy.

Our local auto parts store carries these. Locals only brah 🤙

Totally makes sense on the island, so these containers will hold strong holding oil for weeks or months until you use them again?

states with huge green energy pushes can't do the same, if backwards South Carolina can do it.

It's surprising how many local townships don't accept used engine oil and recommend waiting for bi-yearly recycling drives where you wait in a multi-mile long line or cars to dump some oil off.

I need a roll of that paper.

What do they do with the filters in Japan?

The paper didn't seem super absorbent or porous to the touch, it was actually kind of silky. I thought it was going to be more like shop towels when I ordered it but the paper worked great.

Not sure what they do with the filters exactly, but Japan's recycling system seems very advanced, I'm sure there's a good solution.

Totally makes sense on the island, so these containers will hold strong holding oil for weeks or months until you use them again?

The inner plastic bag is a thick contractor quality bag so I never had them leak when storing used oil in it for months.

Synthetic paper? Did you guys catch that part? I wonder how the Japanese make synthetic paper.

Synthetic paper? Did you guys catch that part? I wonder how the Japanese make synthetic paper.
Ha yeah, I didn't know what to call it. It felt like wet wipes to be honest, probably more plastic than paper.

Not sure what they do with the filters exactly, but Japan's recycling system seems very advanced, I'm sure there's a good solution.
No idea, but I'm reminded of how much people hated Toyota's cartridge system over here--and how happy everyone was when they went back to spin-on. Might they use cartridges, and just toss the paper element into the trash too? No metal in the waste stream that way.

... I'm reminded of how much people hated Toyota's cartridge system over here--and how happy everyone was when they went back to spin-on. ...
I don't hate my Toyota cartridges. It's a more logical system than spin-ons, in principle---although I'm not fond of their inconvenient under-car location.

I don't hate my Toyota cartridges. It's a more logical system than spin-ons, in principle---although I'm not fond of their inconvenient under-car location.
Toyota Cartridges are of the few that I like because if you use a premium filter that's good for 2+ OCIs you can drain the filter housing without having to remove the filter.

I kinda liked them, I had a similar system on my VW (albeit I could do everything topside, now that I thought was well thought out). Agreed on location, it's not great. On my Tundra it was horrid, as I had to remove 4 or 5 bolts to drop the skidplate. I could drain the pan w/o doing that, but the filter was behind the plate. Some owners would take a hole saw to the skidplate to "fix" that issue...

Going back to spin-on, eh, felt like I was stepping backwards.

Back