Discover Card... Cheap Lesson

yeah, i still ask people "do you take discover" - most of the younger crowd says - err yeah boomer - we also take like all kinds a stuff like venmo

Get a Citi double rewards card. 1% back when you purchase and the other 1% back when you pay. I dumped Discover years ago.

Discover was the first that would give me a card when I started trying to establish credit. I remember my dad telling me there were a lot of businesses back in the 80s and into the 90s that didn’t take Discover for some reason.

I’m sure they’ll be trying to cheat us all more in the future.

I remember back in 2008 when the banks were imploding. I had been doing some home repairs and ran up a decent set of charges for the month. They weren’t due to be paid yet, but as I recall it was a few $thousand. They probably thought that I had lost my job and was going to walk away like folks were doing. I recall getting a phone call from citi asking if I would pay my bill early. Never had a call from them before that, or since. That wasn’t sneaky or trying to cheat me, but they called which was surprising. I thought it was fraud at first.

Really weird.

Last edited:
A distant acquaintance who's a bookkeeper (!) pays all her bills on autopay or on the due date. She seems to consider this "float" to be "her" money, even though her husband brings home 90% of the bacon. She thinks she's smarter again by half by threading this needle yet she's always getting smacked by late fees when her house of cards collapses.

Pay your stuff online a week earlier than the due date and watch your bank to see that it clears. Banks know who's living paycheck-to-paycheck and in vulnerable position, so they do these shenanigans to those people more often, IMO, betting that they'll just grin and take it.

Back