Discount Tire Credit card My Synchrony rant

Maybe I missed this, but did you make your payment online or by mail?
Online. I specifically waited 3 days so they would have time to process the purchase or whatever. I got back online exactly 30 days after payment 1 to make another large payment and found the "late payment" issue.

Interesting experience. I have the DT Synchrony CC, only use it for DT tire purchases and always spread auto payments to the 6 months. Not long ago asked for credit line increase, as it was kinda low from initial application many years ago. Not a problem. So, I guess lesson here, don't be in a hurry to pay early?

Synchrony "Bank" does seem a little sketchy. But I like the 6 month interest float and the promo/rebates that go with using it for tires. And pretty sure it's the favorite bank CC of The Police......... :)

Last edited:
I am going to have to read this when I get to my home because I am very into credit myself.

Synchrony under wrote my Amazon card and treated me well about 8 years ago.

I've never had any problems with Sycnhrony except that when you got rewards on your walmart card they autocredited your account, so if you didn't use it they'd send you a check, I got a check I never bothered to cash for $3 once.

There was no previous billing cycle, the card has not been used for over a year. zero balance. They took my money and then asked for more the next day for the same brand new balance.

That's not how it works. The previous billing cycle ran through approximately Nov 30th (based on the info on the card terms provided by another user). Your bill, which was due December 23rd, was to pay for the balance you owed as of Nov 30th (or whatever the end date of the billing cycle was).

When you paid something prior to November 30th, the net effect was reduce the balance owed. It was not a payment on your monthly bill.

You have to pay attention to your statement and due date. You don't arbitrarily get to decide I'm going to start my payments 30 days apart without actually paying attention to when the bill is due.

The fact the card holder wiped out your fees doesn't make you in the right either. It simply is a good will gesture to keep you as a customer and to be honest, is routine when someone asks the first time. Do it again, and find out what happens...

Fair to state the OP does not understand how credit cards and billing cycles work.

User beware...
Nov 25 and before zero balance zero and therefore zero statements issued.
Nov 26th Purchase made
Nov 29th Payment Made
Nov 30th "statement balance" issued indicating a payment is due (i did not check because i just paid $614)

There is nothing else the payment could have gone towards other than the not yet released statement. They should have either not accepted the early payment or automatically applied it to the statement when they got around to issuing it.

Maybe "that is how it works" but it should not work that way IMO.

There is nothing else the payment could have gone towards other than the not yet released statement. They should have either not accepted the early payment or automatically applied it to the statement when they got around to issuing it.
Credit cards by default don't advance to the next statement, and very very rarely does anyone want to do something like that, if you have no payment currently due it's the normal behavior that any payment made during a bill cycle only counts for that bill cycle if you call the credit card company and specify that you want to make a payment to advance the account they can probably accommodate you but general it is the normal expected behavior of all credit card payments made beyond the minimum payment due for a cycle don't advance the account.

What you aren't understanding is the billing cycle ended November 30th or thereabouts. You are tying to argue the billing cycle doesn't (or shouldn't) start until Dec 30th (or thereabouts).

The fact there was no balance when you started is irrelevant. All you did was lower the balance that was owed on the bill for that billing cycle. You would have been better off just waiting for the statement to come, or just pay attention to the statement in the first place.

What you aren't understanding is the billing cycle ended November 30th or thereabouts. You are tying to argue the billing cycle doesn't start until Dec 30th (or thereabouts).

The fact there was no balance when you started is irrelevant. All you did was lower the balance that was owed on the bill for that billing cycle. You would have been better off just waiting for the statement to come, or just pay attention to it in the first place.
Yes, they effectively punished me for giving them money one day early. Also i am saying it shouldn't matter when the cycle starts because i paid before it started and that money should only go to one thing, the next due payment.

Yes, they effectively punished me for giving them money one day early. Also i am saying it shouldn't matter when the cycle starts because i paid before it started and that money should only go to one thing, the next due payment.
You're not understanding what gopher is saying.

The credit card company requires that you make a payment within the cycle whenever there is a balance. Your cycle from November 30 to Dec 23 had a balance and you made no payment. The payment you made on Nov 28 counted towards the previous cycle. It's that simple.

Last edited:
Let me share a bit of credit card advice. It would not have helped here, but I've found it to be an excellent practice.

For every credit card that you have, set it up so that the minimum payment is automatically made (assuming that one needs to be paid) a few days prior to the due date for each card. That way, if a spouse makes a purchase on a card not normally used... or if you use a card that you don't normally use while on vacation... you are always automatically covered against late fees, since the minimum will always be paid as needed.

Hopefully this will be enough to cover your six until you realize what you've done.

So you haven't made a payment in like over a month and now it's late, sounds like you didn't pay attention to when the billing cycles and and when the statement dropped and that this is in no way Synchrony's fault, they either sent you an estatement or a mailed statement shwoing you what was due, if you paid the previous cycle it doesn't count as this months payment.
I think you nailed it.

I did almost exactly the same thing on Tuesday. I opened a Self account, it is an app.. they open a CD, you pay for it in installments, they report the payments and eventually open it up for you to get a credit card. For those starting over, synonymous with rebuilding, like myself, this is what I need. So I did it.

Having fallen into financial windfall (that's gain, yes?) at the very end of the year thanks to my employer and their amazing bonus that I qualified for and did not even know, I actually did make 3 payments right away! but it only counted it as one.

So, now when we get to where I'm almost completed my 12 payments, I look forward to talking to them on the phone so I can tell them, hey, I'm 2 payments in, for when we get to that point. If it does not automatically update...

One final clarification. I do understand "how it works". I am ranting that it should not work that way.
A Purchase made, and very prompt payment were made, but it was not counted for what i consider to be a technicality or a gotcha reason. They could have generated a statement balance instantly, or hours after the purchase was authorized. They could just take the money i gave them and apply it to the only possible thing it could have been for.

Synchrony sent no mail or email regarding a statement balance due, not that it matters as I should have been checking on it, even though i did make the payment very promptly after purchase. No notifications at all on Dec 23rd that today a payment is still due. They did send emails about how i can use the card nationwide (Dec 6th), another one about estimating your payments for 0%/6 months deal on the 14th, and ultimately an email 6 days after the due date.

"Just a reminder, a payment was recently due on 12/23/2021 for your DISCOUNT TIRE/SYNCHRONY CAR CARE account. Check your payment off your list today."

Again, i cannot fault them for not notifying me. I can only fault them for the way the payment was accepted and accounted for. With no recent balance or activitity it should be a given that the money is for the next due amount.

Just because "that is how it works" does not make it the best way or even proper to do due so. Extreme example, Slavery was once "how it works."

View attachment 82555
this is something I found online, your daue date is 23 days after the billing cycle ends so it sounds like it ended on November 30th, so you paid for the previous bill cycle and now it's late because you didn't pay attention to your statements.

That APR says it all. That's the average penalty rate for a regular credit card, which they threaten on every statement to sic on you to discourage you from being a deadbeat. If 30% is their standard rate…

These types of credit accounts, usually attached to fleeting store promos, are designed to trap people, for even the slightest foot put wrong. On a normal account, if a customer makes a one-time mistake, a call to customer service can result in a good will waiving of the fee for the transgression.

No sustainable business is going to lose money, or give it away. for free Someone is paying to keep the game going, and you hope is isn't you.

What holes.

Wife lost our Citi card a while back, so we reported it lost/stolen, and they immediately cut off my online access, because ?

Got a replacement card after ten days, but to set up online banking I had to request a password in the mail, they delayed, futzed around. Then I was only allowed to pay $500 online for my first payment because "they didn't trust me".

Well golly gee I wound up with interest due that month, and because they do some two-month averaging scam, I had interest the next month too!

These bankers just sit around boardrooms rubbing their nipples conjuring up more fine print to screw over the working man.

ChittyBank is paranoid with their online accounts. They'll summarily delete them if there isn't any login activity for 90 days. And of course, the only way to discover this, after you wonder why your online account no longer exists, and password recovery doesn't work,, is to call them and have their rep inform you of that fact.

Let me share a bit of credit card advice. It would not have helped here, but I've found it to be an excellent practice.

For every credit card that you have, set it up so that the minimum payment is automatically made (assuming that one needs to be paid) a few days prior to the due date for each card. That way, if a spouse makes a purchase on a card not normally used... or if you use a card that you don't normally use while on vacation... you are always automatically covered against late fees, since the minimum will always be paid as needed.

Hopefully this will be enough to cover your six until you realize what you've done.
+1 - I have every credit card setup for an auto pay of the minimum. Kind of as a backstop should I forget.

Back