More PayPal fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just when I thought PayPal couldn't get any more fun, PayPal has decided to slap a hold on my future PayPal receipts for up to 21 days.

No real detailed explanation as to why, just a generalization about "higher than average risk" given in the email, and when I called, I was given the rigmarole about how buyers initiate charge backs, disputes, etc., even though my account has been in perfect standing (no disputes against me) for many years and I have nothing but 100% positive feedback on eBay.

OilNerdLicensePlateSmall.jpg

Originally Posted By: PayPal
Hello ,

We're writing to let you know about a change to your PayPal account.

Starting 4/6/2012, money from payments you receive will be placed in a pending balance for up to 21 days. By doing this, we're making sure that there's enough money in your account to cover potential refunds or claims.

Even though you can't access the money right away, please ship orders quickly and communicate with your customers. After 21 days, you can withdraw money from each payment as long as the customer hasn't filed a dispute, chargeback, claim, return, or reversal.

The money may be available sooner if:

We can confirm that the item was delivered and 3 days elapse. This gives the buyer enough time to review the order and file a dispute if necessary.
Your buyer leaves positive feedback. (Applies only to eBay items)

This change isn't necessarily permanent. We'll review your account every 35 days and re-evaluate if we should continue to hold your payments. If we decide to stop holding payments, we'll email you to let you know.

Why are my payments being held?
We reviewed your account and determined that there's a relatively higher than average risk of future transaction issues (such as claims, or chargebacks, or payment reversals). We understand that it may be inconvenient to have your payments temporarily held but please know that we didn't make this decision lightly.

Before deciding to hold payments, we consider many factors. These factors include account and transaction activity, the rate of customer disputes, the type of business a seller runs, average delivery timeframes, customer satisfaction, performance and history.

Questions? Let us know
We understand you’d like to have immediate access to the money you receive and we’re here to answer your questions about this change to your account.

For more information and tips on what you can do to avoid having your future payments held, please see our Frequently Asked Questions. To speak to a Customer Service representative, log in to your PayPal account and click “Contact Us” at the bottom of any page.
Thanks,
PayPal

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, update your preferences.

PayPal Email ID

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Sounds like they did this in error. Just send them an e mail indicating your status with customers. It was probably a mix up on their part.

I thought it was an error, too, or a phishing spam, so I called them. It was intentional.

Being a small, occasional seller is now "higher than average risk", it seems, no matter how much you please the customer.

Ridiculous. If they do this to me, I'll start selling my stuff on Craigslist and dump the eBay account.

Too bad eBay and Pay-pal seller fees are now insanely high. I only use eBay to buy and only to sell stuff that is too hard to sell locally.

Its like they are trying to destroy the company...
21.gif

I agree, their fees are outrageous, esp if the price is in the thousands. (Sold a guitar worth 5,800 and had over $300 in fees combining both eBay and Paypal, CRAZY!!) It shouldn't cost $130 just to transfer $5,000 from one Paypal member to another.
33.gif

Having said that, I still use both daily for my online business. It's the beat way to advertise and sell all over the world.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Plus the longer they hold it the more they make.

^ this is what's really behind all of this.

Originally Posted By: dparm
And they are not a real bank so if they go belly up or get hacked, you're SOL.

Never even thought of that...
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem
It shouldn't cost $130 just to transfer $5,000 from one Paypal member to another.
33.gif

If you send money and mark it as a gift, there is no fee, but that only applies to personal accounts.

YMMV, but it works every time for me.

This was done to me as well despite a 100% positive and 5 star rating on E-Bay as a seller( and even buyer ). I have NEVER had a bad word said about me nor any complaint whatsoever filed with E-Bay/PayPal. To the contrary, all of my feedback says how my desicriptions are dead-on, my communication is excellent, prices fair, and shipping the fastest they have ever received. Despite that they still did this to me. It has NOTHING to do with you and your account in all reallity( see below ).

I complained like heck about it but they wouldn't listen. So, I stopped using PayPal period for 2 months as there is no way I am shipping anything until I have the money in my account. Absolutely NOT! PayPal can take a longw alk off a short pier if they think I am shipping something before I actually have the money. NOT happening and I told them as much. I also decided to stop using it to buy things as well despite that being an inconvenience.

As said, I stopped selling and even buying with PP for a couple months. I am not a real big seller, I just sell some stuff now and then, but I did use PP quite a bit to buy stuff. I was ready to close the account completely when out of the blue I got an e-mail saying that the hold had been lifted after further review of my account activity. What a crock. In other words we miss those fees we were getting so please use us again. I can tell you if they ever do this again without real justification I am done. Even though I will keep it open I will seldom use it now.

People, it is very simple. This is being done so PayPal can put your money in the bank and collect interest on it. This has NOTHING to do with anything you have done or your E-Bay ratings and feedback nor is it about protecting buyers. It is all about PayPal making money using OUR money. It is also illegal in many states as it exceeds the maximum time frame they can hold your money. In my state the max they can hold the money is 10 days yet they wanted to hold it for 21.

This has actually been going on for a while now( I would say 6 months to a year ). It caused a huge ruckuss on the seller forum on E-Bay and many closed out their PP and EB accounts as a result. If PP does this to you then find out who handles the banks and such for your state and file a complaint. PP needs to be gone after and fined by the government for this.

Last edited:
NHHEMI, it looks like I'm in good company.

I wish there were real alternatives to eBay/PP for selling things. Craigslist is OK for selling some things, but I live in a rural market with buyers spread out few and far between. I've also had some "interesting" CL experiences. Then again, I managed to sell some 30 or so gallons of oil at decent prices on CL.

I'm going to take a break from selling on eBay while this hold thing is in effect and see if PP reverses itself, like it did in your case. I've already stopped most of my eBay selling to protest high fees and ever-changing ridiculous policies.

I wish PayPal was a bank and regulated by the NYS banking dept.

I one time bought something ($200) on ebay and paid with money I had in PayPal. The person sent it to the wrong address and wanted me to pick it up. It was a motorcycle engine and I couldn't go pick it up with my motorcycle. I filed a complaint, but PayPal and ebay said the item was delivered (but not to my address).

Last edited:
^ I had that happen but with a credit card order. Mailman left it in a snowbank-- someone else's.

Despite having delivery confirmation, my CC company fought it and I didn't have to pay. You can layer a CC and paypal for double protection, thought it might bug PP and make them drop you if you challenge them.

Insurance for ebay transactions is something I as a buyer would not pay extra for. I already have it!
laugh.gif
There's a misconception that if the buyer opts out of insurance they bear the risk... nope.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Originally Posted By: Artem
It shouldn't cost $130 just to transfer $5,000 from one Paypal member to another.
33.gif

If you send money and mark it as a gift, there is no fee, but that only applies to personal accounts.

YMMV, but it works every time for me.

That used to be true, now they charge 3%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back