Discover Card... Cheap Lesson

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
On 4/4 I went to the Discover card and zipped in my full payment of $985...
I pay off the balance monthly. Was due on 4/5
Been a member since 1999

Checked my email and got the thanks for the payment from Discover.

Yesterday I was in a parking lot sipping my tea thinking how I could I get a V12 and be the man
@AutoMechanic is when I hear a ping.................

Jim did you forget to pay your Discover card? Yada-yada-yada
WHAT??????????????????????????????????

I called in and they treated me like every other non pay bozo....
Lady says if you give us a $70 minimum payment, we can resolve this.
I told her it was paid in full.
They transfer me over and finally a resolution. I sent them the receipt they emailed and finally I got it resolved.
When I went into my account there was no payment on record.
The guy I spoke to said he had seen I was in the account on 4/4 and did make the payment
Always keep the receipts they text or email
Funny my text alerts no longer were coming in either and I had to go back in and reset them.

I'll add a related lesson to that, if I may: don't wait until the day of or the day before a payment is due.

It takes most banks a business day just to process those payments, especially if you pay after a certain time.

And since I was recently dreaming of a V12 supercar as well, and waited too long, this is the next best thing: AM V8 Vantage

I'll add a related lesson to that, if I may: don't wait until the day of or the day before a payment is due.

It takes most banks a business day just to process those payments, especially if you pay after a certain time.

And since I was recently dreaming of a V12 supercar as well, and waited too long, this is the next best thing: AM V8 Vantage
Pretty slick my friend. AM in the title too.
Wonder if they take Discover?:D

Funny note- I used to make Vantage gunstocks for a UK firm called Venom.....

The CC companies must be on a bender...

Citi Bank Visa Card.

Received bill early in March with a Balance of ~$48.20
On 3/19 I sent electronic payment of $50 (I like to slightly overpay to keep interest charged at 0).
Payment posted on 3/20 of a little over a $1 positive
On 4/1 was issued a $15 late payment charge
Just received (Early April bill) bill for balance owed of ~$13.80 ($15.00 late payment fee against my $1.20 positive balance)
---How do you charge a late payment fee on top of a positive balance!?!?!?!?
Called CC company at 0830 yesterday morning, they could not resolve and had to call back after 0900
Called local number at 0930, they could not explain, but cancelled the balance, and resolved everything
Looked at my online statement today...it was $0, not the roughly $1.20 (positive) it should have been...now I ponder if it is worth the time/hassle/sitting on hold to get it fixed, knowing they are hoping I won't as they screw over thousands like this and many won't take the time to fight for their "small portion"

Last edited:
Yep, even when you get the payment confirmation # it isn't a sure thing. My daughter sent her car insurance payment in online, got a confirmation. Discovered 2 months later they "didn't receive it" and after 1 try to contact by one of the local agent's staff cancelled her policy. The lapse was too long to re-instate the policy so it was like she was a new driver- much higher rates. She went to a different company. That could have been a nightmare had she been in an accident.

Yep, even when you get the payment confirmation # it isn't a sure thing. My daughter sent her car insurance payment in online, got a confirmation. Discovered 2 months later they "didn't receive it" and after 1 try to contact by one of the local agent's staff cancelled her policy. The lapse was too long to re-instate the policy so it was like she was a new driver- much higher rates. She went to a different company. That could have been a nightmare had she been in an accident.
Same thing happened to my mother and she had the same insurance for 35 years and they were nasty about it.
So I dumped them too and they were upset with me after that. Oh well.

The CC companies must be on a bender...

Citi Bank Visa Card.

On 3/19 I sent electronic payment of $50 (I like to slightly overpay to keep interest charged at 0).
Just received (Early April bill) bill for balance owed of ~$13.80 ($15.00 late payment fee against my $1.20 positive balance)
Called CC company at 0830 yesterday morning, they could not resolve and had to call back after 0900
Called local number at 0930, they could not explain, but cancelled the balance, and resolved everything
Looked at my online statement today...it was $0, not the roughly $1.20 (positive) it should have been...now I ponder if it is worth the time/hassle/sitting on hold to get it fixed, knowing they are hoping I won't as they screw over thousands like this and many won't take the time to fight for their "small portion"
Have you checked your credit report?

Attachments

• 20220415_113504.jpg
    20220415_113504.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 52
Citi Bank Visa Card.

LOL you threw a stone into the machine. Bzzzt... pop!

On 4/4 I went to the Discover card and zipped in my full payment of $985...
I pay off the balance monthly. Was due on 4/5
Been a member since 1999

Checked my email and got the thanks for the payment from Discover.

Yesterday I was in a parking lot sipping my tea thinking how I could I get a V12 and be the man
@AutoMechanic is when I hear a ping.................

Jim did you forget to pay your Discover card? Yada-yada-yada
WHAT??????????????????????????????????

I called in and they treated me like every other non pay bozo....
Lady says if you give us a $70 minimum payment, we can resolve this.
I told her it was paid in full.
They transfer me over and finally a resolution. I sent them the receipt they emailed and finally I got it resolved.
When I went into my account there was no payment on record.
The guy I spoke to said he had seen I was in the account on 4/4 and did make the payment
Always keep the receipts they text or email
Funny my text alerts no longer were coming in either and I had to go back in and reset them.
I will not give any information to anyone who cold calls me, no matter what the issue. In your case, I would have hung up, gone to my log-in and then called the contact number. The credit card companies actually understand this and approve of it. I also never hit the link on an email. I go to my bookmarks and log in.

I will not give any information to anyone who cold calls me, no matter what the issue. In your case, I would have hung up, gone to my log-in and then called the contact number. The credit card companies actually understand this and approve of it. I also never hit the link on an email. I go to my bookmarks and log in.
That ping was an email notice and I called in after reading that email asking if I forgot the payment.
Sorry for the confusion.

No impact for something less than 90 days late. My bride used to be a loan officer, she was not concerned.
Actually it doesn't get reported until it's more than 30 days late. Then you get hit with a 1x30. Certain bills like mortgages, you can even pay late and just get hit with the late fee but it won't end up on your credit report until it's more than 30 days late. Most of the time with a credit card company they will waive the late charge/interest once a year if you miss a payment just once.

As for me, I automate all my credit card payments, they automatically take the full balance out every month.

I've been with Discover since 91, always found them courteous and professional. Easy to speak with on the phone.

That said, I have my IT card set to autopay, paying the previous month's balance/bill automatically. One less thing to remember.

Last edited:
I remember back in the day it seemed like only MasterCard was accepted in all places. AMEX was kind’ve a rare one (1980s).

Back