Discount Tire ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at a certain tire on Discount Tires site for a store near me and the price of the tire is $60.00.
I see the same tire on Discount tire direct for $47.00 with free shipping.
If I buy 4 tires at the local store its $360 out the door. Which includes TPMS($20.00) rebuild. Do I need this on a 2010 car?
If I order from Discount tire direct its $200 which includes some state fees.
I can get them mounted and balanced locally for about $60 or so.
Savings of about $100.00.
Will the local stores honor the on line price?

Last edited:
They only can if you ask.
wink.gif

TPMS rebuild is just an o-ring or two. I had hoped it would include batteries but doesn't. You want a nickel valve core, not a brass one, due to galvanic corrosion. You should get this unless they're idiots, but I've worked with idiots.

Originally Posted By: marine65
...Will the local stores honor the on line price?..

In my experience, yes. Meaning they have for me in similar situation. And from reading have done it for others. One poster did it recently with the recent DTD@ebay $100 off promo. I used the latter for a DT price match a year ago.

Have all information lined up and go to the b&m DT store, don't call. Can't answer about TPMS rebuild. Thinking if it's DT SOP to rebuild then that's going to be priced into the DT install.

TPMS repack kit that came with a unit I got for my Xterra was the wheel seal ring, new nickel valve core and a green cap. So they are making a bit on doing the change out but not real bad.

I've had DT stores match DTD prices before and it was no problem.

It's not always the case that DTD is cheaper. A couple tires I've looked at were cheaper in the DT store.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Wait until black Friday and order online from DTD. Great deal & rebates. At 7 yr old car, the TPMS rebuild might be good idea.

Some details from last year:

DTD Black Friday

You would assume it would be similar this year.

Last edited:
The most important thing is the job is done correctly the first time so you do not have to do it again. Ask the local store if they price match.

I am liking wal-mart for ordering tires. No shipping costs, no having to carry tires..just do it all in house and theres usually money left over for road hazard etc.

Yes they'll match the price and order them in for you. Nice because you get lifetime balancing and rotation, and you don't have to deal with transporting the tires.

I like to order from DTD and have them shipped to a local DT store. Because, even though DT store said they would match their online DTD price per tire, I still had to pay sales tax in the DT store for the tires.

By purchasing the tires from DTD and having them shipped free, I did not pay sales tax and saved an extra $35 on a set of four.

I declined the road hazard, and new valve stems when I placed an order on DTD. I was given new valve stems as part of the installation process at the DT store.

Here, I've had the local DT store match the DTD no tax price several times. If they've had to work tax in they do it so it matches the DTD price. As aside, sometimes the local DT store even has no tax sale promotions.

I prefer to keep the whole transaction under b&m DT sale. That way the tire warranty and of course LT rotation and balance, kept in house.

Besides checking price, main reason I like checking DTD is ime there is generally a greater tire selection than local stores may list, have in stock. Had them order tires several times using DTD available tire choice. As noted occasionally the DT listing may be less expensive.

Originally Posted By: Donald
DTD is great in states with no stores as no sales tax.

DT will pricematch the no sales tax price.

Originally Posted By: 3for3
I like to order from DTD and have them shipped to a local DT store. Because, even though DT store said they would match their online DTD price per tire, I still had to pay sales tax in the DT store for the tires.

By purchasing the tires from DTD and having them shipped free, I did not pay sales tax and saved an extra $35 on a set of four.

I declined the road hazard, and new valve stems when I placed an order on DTD. I was given new valve stems as part of the installation process at the DT store.

Wow that works? I figured since they did business in CA as "America's Tire" that there would probably be some issues. Interesting way to bypass the hefty CA sales tax!

Technically you should be self reporting that on your state taxes and paying it.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Technically you should be self reporting that on your state taxes and paying it.

This is correct, although almost nobody does it. I do know of one person who actually does. I expect this "no tax" loophole to get closed before too long, with the seller being required to collect the sales tax at the time of purchase and forward it to the state. I know, at least in PA, Amazon is now required to do this (although only on items where they are the direct seller, rather than a third party).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back