Discount oil in Oz.

Might be worth raiding supercheap and making them price beat repco too. I did it recently for trans fluid and they beat the other price by $1. Not bad considering you can pull up the catalogue on your phone and they will beat it.

At SCA, 7-24 Sept 2023.

20% off Ryco Syntec oil filters.

20% off K&N filters.

Nulon APEX+ 5W30 full synthetic,
API SP, ILSAC GF-6A,
50% Off, $47 for the bigger 6L.

Castrol Magnatec 10W40 semi-synthetic,
API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4,
50% Off, $31.50 for 5L.

Penrite Enviro+ GF-S 5W30 full synthetic,
API SP, ILSAC GF-6A,
50% Off, $37 for 5L.
KV100 = 10.9 cSt, HTHS = 3.2 cP, Ca = 1320 ppm, Mg = 550 ppm, Zn = 820 ppm, SA = 0.9 %, TBN = 8.0

Last edited:
At SCA, 7-24 Sept 2023.

Castrol Magnatec 10W40 semi-synthetic,
API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4,
50% Off, $31.50 for 5L.
At SCA in Oz, 3-17 April 2019

Castrol Magnatec 10W40 semi-synthetic
API SN/CF and ACEA A3/B4
50% Off, $23.40 for 5L
A price comparison from the first page of this thread, roughly 4 and a half years ago, same oil and same shop.

At Autobarn, 3-24 Sept.

Valvoline Synpower 5W30 full synthetic,
API SP, ILSAC GF-6A, Dexos1-Gen3,
$40 for 5L, save $35.

Valvoline Synpower 0W20 full synthetic,
API SP, ILSAC GF-6A, Dexos1-Gen3,
$50 for 5L, save $35.

Valvoline Synpower 5W40 full synthetic,
API SP, ACEA A3/B4,
$40 for 5L, save $35.

Penrite HPR5 5W40 full synthetic,
API SP, ACEA A3/B4, JASO MA,
40% Off, $50 for 5L.
KV100 = 14.4 cSt, Zn = 1240 ppm, TBN = 10.4, SA = 1.28%.

At Repco, 20 Sept - 9 Oct.

Shell Helix HX7 10W40 semi-synthetic,
API SN-Plus, ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.3,
50% Off, $29 for 5L.

Penrite HPR5 5W40 full synthetic,
API SP, ACEA A3/B4, JASO MA,
$49 for 5L.
KV100 = 14.4 cSt, Zn = 1240 ppm, TBN = 10.4, SA = 1.28%.

Castrol Edge 25W50 for big bore push-rod engines,
30% Off, $44 for 5L
KV100 = 21.0 cSt, TBN = 8.3, HTHS = 6.1 cP.

Repco also has Shell Helix Hx8 5w30 for $35 if you're a repco member. Pretty good for a full synthetic.

Non member price is $53. Signing up is free. They were even happy to use a dummy email.

Repco also has Shell Helix Hx8 5w30 for $35 if you're a repco member. Pretty good for a full synthetic.

Non member price is $53. Signing up is free. They were even happy to use a dummy email.
That is a good price for 5L of Shell HX8, a 5W30 full synthetic. I should sign up and grab some. I usually unsubscribe after the first email anyway.

From the Shell website:
Specifications and approvals: API SN Plus/SN, ACEA A3/B4, MB-Approval 229.5, Renault RN 0700, 0710

Is it GTL? Seems to have slightly different marketing on the bottle. "Flexi Molecule" technology lol

Last edited:
Is it GTL? Seems to have slightly different marketing on the bottle. "Flexi Molecule" technology lol
No I don't think so, it should have "PurePlus" on the bottle if it used GTL.
It's probably old school Group-III.

Sr5 , have you compared penrite enviro plus 5-30’s ? I talked to a penrite tech and he said the Vw approved version is much better overall , he hinted at a better base stock etc , lve got a v8 tdi Touareg so I’ll be going for that anyway , but l was curious about the differences between them
The other one l considered was the Shell ultra 0w-30 as l like the gtl products , penrite is on special atm @ Repco for 10litres

Hey guys, Mobil 1 0w40 and 5w50 is on sale at Supercheap.

I never knew they had 5w50 - If someone has a VOA/UOA please link it otherwise I will search later! :)

I get an extra 15% off through work (hopefully you can too?)

Sale ends 10 December

At Repco (until 13 Feb 2024) if you become a member (free to join) you can get Nulon Apex+ Long Life 5W30 full synthetic (API SP, GF6, Dexos1-Gen3) at $39 for 5L.

Limit of 3 jugs, but some people come back on another day, and they have sold them more.
The regular price is $79 for 5L. So $39 is a good deal.

At AutoBarn (to 11 Feb) it's 15% off Ryco oil filters.

Last edited:
Sr5 , have you compared penrite enviro plus 5-30’s ? I talked to a penrite tech and he said the Vw approved version is much better overall , he hinted at a better base stock etc , lve got a v8 tdi Touareg so I’ll be going for that anyway , but l was curious about the differences between them
The other one l considered was the Shell ultra 0w-30 as l like the gtl products , penrite is on special atm @ Repco for 10litres
Hi Mate, sorry for the late reply, I've been very busy.

Yes, I also hear that the most recent VW specs like VW504/507 set a very high standard requiring the use of high quality base components.

Now days I follow the specs more than the brands, especially the Euro specs MB, BMW, VW, Porsche etc. So if I see a good deal on a Euro spec oil, then I buy it.

My traditional big-4 that I buy regularly are Penrite, Castrol, Valvoline and Shell. But recently I saw some Nulon 5W30 full synthetic with VW 504/507 at a good price, so I jumped on that.

Penrite traditionally has been a company that sold to the high performance end of the market, with extra thick and high zinc (ZDDP) oil in the HPR series, or their 10-Tenths series (100% PAO and ester oils). These were great oils, and I've used them a lot, but they didn't carry many of the manufacturer specs required by new car buyers with a factory warranty. This is were their Enviro+ series comes in, here the focus is on the OEM specs, and if you choose a good spec then it's a great oil.

The Penrite racing & performance oils tend to be high SAPS (SA%) while the OEM specs are trending towards low to mid SAPS oils (less ZDDP and less Ca & Mg detergents for TBN). High SAPS oils were important in the old days of high sulphur fuel, where the high TBN neutralised the acid buildup from the sulphur in the fuel. But now days fuel contains a lot less sulphur and so engine oils can be lower SAPS.

Last edited:
Hi Mate, sorry for the late reply, I've been very busy.

Yes, I also hear that the most recent VW specs like VW504/507 set a very high standard requiring the use of high quality base components.

Now days I follow the specs more than the brands, especially the Euro specs MB, BMW, VW, Porsche etc. So if I see a good deal on a Euro spec oil, then I buy it.

My traditional big-4 that I buy regularly are Penrite, Castrol, Valvoline and Shell. But recently I saw some Nulon 5W30 full synthetic with VW 504/507 at a good price, so I jumped on that.

Penrite traditionally has been a company that sold to the high performance end of the market, with extra thick and high zinc (ZDDP) oil in the HPR series, or their 10-Tenths series (100% PAO and ester oils). These were great oils, and I've used them a lot, but they didn't carry many of the manufacturer specs required by new car buyers with a factory warranty. This is were their Enviro+ series comes in, here the focus is on the OEM specs, and if you choose a good spec then it's a great oil.

The Penrite racing & performance oils tend to be high SAPS (SA%) while the OEM specs are trending towards low to mid SAPS oils (less ZDDP and less Ca & Mg detergents for TBN). High SAPS oils were important in the old days of high sulphur fuel, where the high TBN neutralised the acid buildup from the sulphur in the fuel. But now days fuel contains a lot less sulphur and so engine oils can be lower SAPS.
Hi , what’s your thoughts on wear and longevity with these oils compared to the higher zddp etc oils , say if you didn’t have to consider the pollution standards , this is just out of interest as l tend to change oils early anyway no matter what motor lm running.

Hi , what’s your thoughts on wear and longevity with these oils compared to the higher zddp etc oils , say if you didn’t have to consider the pollution standards , this is just out of interest as l tend to change oils early anyway no matter what motor lm running.
I'm a ZDDP (zinc) fan, it has three positive effects:
- it's a powerful quencher of LSPI (low speed pre-ignition) events in modern DI engines,
- it's an antioxidant, so it protects the oil from aging (it's historical first application),
- and it's an anti-wear additive that protects the metal of the engine.

The modern API / ILSAC dose is about 600-800 ppm (parts per million), which is fine for modern cars. The limit is to stop the Phos in the ZDDP causing a poisoned cat in the exhaust. Mostly a problem if your cars burn lots of oil, mine doesn't so I'm less worried.

Sure some old flat tappet big bore engines and shared sump motorcycles probably prefer something like 1200 ppm, but these are special high wear applications.

I like how many 40 grade Euro A3/B4 oils (M1 0W40, Castrol Edge 5W40, etc) still show about 1000 ppm ZDDP in a VOA oils analysis. This seems about the perfect level for me for a good all rounder.

Still I change my oil every 10,000 km (6,200 miles), and I drive a regular family car, so I'm also happy to run oils with API / ILSAC ZDDP levels when I see them on sale.

Same with elevated TBN (Ca & Mg detergents) levels of A3/B4 oils, this was important back when fuel had high sulphur levels that contaminated the oil with acid. The extra TBN allowed for longer oil drain intervals as it neutralised the acid buildup. However modern fuels have lower sulphur and so modern oils have lower TBN values. Both lower TBN and lower ZDDP contribute to lower SAPS (SA%) levels in modern oils, which is the modern trend.

For me, none of my cars are special, so I buy what's on sale. One car has a mid-SAPS ILSAC GF-6 oil in it right now, and the other car has a Euro A3/B4 high-SAPS & high TBN & high ZDDP oil in it right now.

As long as I change the oil at regular intervals, both should work fine.

Yeah lve always liked knowing there was plenty of zddp in my oils too , what l have now is a vw Touareg r line v8 tdi and of course has a dpf hence running C3 507 oils and lm hoping the motor will last a long time , its already at 190k , lm guessing there’ll be plenty of other stuff fail before the engine lol
Prior to this l had a tdi territory running HPR5 most of the time , still purring along for my son at 200k 👍

Yeah lve always liked knowing there was plenty of zddp in my oils too , what l have now is a vw Touareg r line v8 tdi and of course has a dpf hence running C3 507 oils and lm hoping the motor will last a long time , its already at 190k , lm guessing there’ll be plenty of other stuff fail before the engine lol
Prior to this l had a tdi territory running HPR5 most of the time , still purring along for my son at 200k 👍

Those two Penrite oils make for an interesting comparison:

Penrite HPR 5 (5W40) a full-SAPS synthetic with API SP, ACEA A3/B4 and MB 229.5 (they showed the MB certificate at one stage).
KV100 = 14.4 cSt,
VI = 167,
Zinc = 1240 ppm,
TBN = 10.4,
SA = 1.28%

Penrite Enviro+ (plus) 5W30 a mid-SAPS synthetic with API SP, ACEA C3 and VW 504 00 / 507 00 (they link to the actual VW license certificate).
KV100 = 11.7 cSt (thick for a 30 grade),
VI = 169,
Zinc = 850 ppm,
TBN = 6.62,
SA = 0.70%

Both are full synthetics, both do their job. The HPR 5 does it the old way with a heavy inorganic (metallic) additive package. The Enviro+ does it the new way with very high quality base stock and I assume some expensive organic antioxidants that don't show up on a regular oil analysis.

The change in direction is motivated primarily from wanting to protect the catalytic converter in the exhaust system and reduce exhaust emissions. It's probably only possible since the dramatic increase in fuel quality via the reduction of sulphur in the fuel.

Most of the world (China, India, Canada, USA, NZ, Europe) is limited to a max of 10 ppm (parts per million) sulphur in their fuel. Australia is the exception, right now our limits are:
- Diesel 10 ppm
- PULP 95 & 98 RON 50 ppm
- ULP 91 RON (~87 Octane) has a 150 ppm sulphur limit.

According to the manufacturer often real world levels at the Aussie pump is typically 15 to 30ppm (petrol). From memory, the old school leaded Super from decades ago was something like a 800 ppm limit. Anyway the talk is Australia will move to 10 ppm limits for all fuel sometime in the near future (late 2024 to 2027 ?). The drive is to reduce emissions like NOx.

From the engine oil point of view, less sulphur in the fuel means that less acid fighting TBN is required and therefore SAPS / SA% level can be reduced while keeping the oil change interval (OCI) to similar distances. Also a lot of the job of the very early ZDDP oil add was to act as an antioxidant to stop oxidative thickening of the oil. Now with less sulphuric acids being formed from the fuel and more stable base stock being used for the oil, then less ZDDP is required.

I like my ZDDP & TBN, but I can see where they are going with this, and the modern levels of ZDDP & TBN make sense to me given the improvements in fuel quality. Especially given I change my oil every 10,000km. However I would be worried about a person in Oz who only runs ULP (to save money) and then pushes the OCI to 20,000 km (to save money). I'm sure these people exist.

Last edited:
Back