Disappointed with Wix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't take them back or anything Patman, it's a solidly constructed filter, it's just that the combo valve is almost the same length as the media, so the media is short. I'd rather see a real bypass valve as well but I'd be a lot less worried about using this filter with a low viscosity oil like 5w-20 in the cold, like you use in your wifes Civic.

Quote:

WOW,I use a NAPA Gold 1394 on my JD riding mower..
crazy.gif

I have a used JD filter (which is made by Fram) I guess I am going to have to cut it open and compare now

I hate that. My 115 hp car uses the same oil filter as many 15 hp Briggs and Strattons!

Thanks for the info Drew. I am very disappointed also. I just bought a few napa gold 1396 for my corolla and that is the whole point I went through the trouble to find the longer part number. This is totally pathetic. They should just reference the shorter filter for the longer part number like some others do if they don't want to make the longer one, rather than intentionally deceive the customer. No more Wix for me. By the way I was also disappointed in them and Fleetfilter.com because Fleet Filter states on their website that all of their filters are Wix made in Gastonia, North Carolina when in fact the cabin filter for my car is made in Taiwan and the air filter is made in Korea.

Get the Toyota Matrix XRS OEM filter for the 2ZZ and be done with it! It's the larger one vs the 1ZZ (which crosses to your Fram 4967).

Quote:

Get the Toyota Matrix XRS OEM filter for the 2ZZ and be done with it! It's the larger one vs the 1ZZ (which crosses to your Fram 4967).

Thanks but no thanks. I have cut open the OE filter and it is worse than a Fram. Worst I have ever seen. Doesn't even have end caps, everything is just pieced together. You can completely disassemble it when you cut it open. Bad bypass design too. Also they are made in Taiwan.

Quote:

Quote:

I hope the NAPA Nascar Proselect filters aren't like that inside, I've got those filters for my wife's car and my car for our upcoming oil changes.

This IS a Proselect!

Yeah but IIRC the Nascar select is a different, "spin-flow" design:

1394.jpg

But EGADS! Drew, the diminuitive size of those innards make a solid visual case for a high end filter in this app.
shocked.gif

Been working well for me for 65k so far. And I'm taking about the larger filter for the 2ZZ which seems to be pretty well made.

Quote:

Quote:

I hope the NAPA Nascar Proselect filters aren't like that inside, I've got those filters for my wife's car and my car for our upcoming oil changes.

This IS a Proselect!

But as someone else mentioned below, is it really the same filter? The Nascar ones say NAPA Nascar Select, not Proselect. From what I understand, the Proselect is the entry level filter, the Nascar Select is the middle one, then NAPA Gold is the best.

But I'm just wondering if the Nascar one is constructed the same as the entry level Proselect one, but just perhaps it's got a slightly different media and the addition of the spin flow technology?

Quote:

I wouldn't take them back or anything Patman, it's a solidly constructed filter, it's just that the combo valve is almost the same length as the media, so the media is short. I'd rather see a real bypass valve as well but I'd be a lot less worried about using this filter with a low viscosity oil like 5w-20 in the cold, like you use in your wifes Civic.

If it did turn out to be the same design, I wouldn't worry too much about my Corvette's filter, because it does not have an internal bypass valve anyways.

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks but no thanks. I have cut open the OE filter and it is worse than a Fram. Worst I have ever seen. Doesn't even have end caps, everything is just pieced together. You can completely disassemble it when you cut it open. Bad bypass design too. Also they are made in Taiwan.

Did someone say Toyota oil filter photos?
banana.gif
grin.gif

img2797a5mh.jpg

img2796a5it.jpg

img2800a5tp.jpg

Is this what your talking about?

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

Is this filter different than the NAPA Gold?

Yes. This filter I cut open is a Napa Proselect. The other filter is called the Napa Nascar Select. So I guess Patman is OK - the Select filter is the one with spin flow.

The Napa Gold 1394 and 1396 I've cut open both had the exact same element; only difference was the length of the coil spring. There are pictures posted here of this by someone else FWIW.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back