Super Tech vs. Purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like the typical case of over tightning a filter to me. I have seen that happen with near all filters made,even the tough FL1A

Well look at us agreeing twice in two days!
grin.gif

I use the ST2 filter on a 98 4.6 and NEVER have trouble getting them off,it is not just that filter,all will suffer the same problem if over tightened upon installation.

That's a negative.
I tightened it with my HANDS.

I've never had that happen with Penske or Delco filters even if they were overtightened.

The filter wrench I use only crushes the filter can if the filter can is thin metal (and the metal they used for the ST2, ST8A, and ST16 is thin stuff).

I cut one open just to check out the filter - the oil pass holes are TINY compared to something like K-mart's Penske filter.

I didn't quite like the reduced oil capacity either (I talked about this on another post).

I'm all for low cost oil filters but Super-tech's filters just don't seem to cut it.

Oh yeah forgot to add:

Ford almost ALWAYS overtightens their filters on factory engines - and they rarely lube the gasket.

Well when I (me, myself, and I - I always do my own oil changes) changed the oil for the FIRST time on my factory ordered 2000 Ford Crown Vic, the filter was on SUPER TIGHT.

What happened? I used the same filter wrench and eventually removed it. THe shell was slightly dented but it came off fine.

The Super Tech looked like tin foil after I was done... and I lubed the ST2's gasket AND i used a gloved hand to tighten it.
rolleyes.gif

For $2/filter I can get something much better - just my 2 cents.

Motorcraft filters are about $3/filter, but thankfully I didn't buy a lot of ST filters (just 1 for each engine to experiment with).

K-Mart USED to have sales for their Penske filters (I believe DANA/Wix makes the Penske line of oil filters) for $2/filter, but they recently switched to Fram for their air and oil filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back