Disadvantages to using ScanGaugeII ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: wiswind
I have had the original ScanGauge (pre II version) that was $129.
I have used it for years without a problem.
Advantage over dash gauges, it is looking at what the PCM is seeing.
Some vehicles use a sensor for the dash gauge and another sensor for the PCM for some values.

On my VW the Sacangauge II shares sensors with the speedometer and temperature gauge.

The VW speedometer takes that data and lies. It reads 4-5 mph fast at 70 mph. The Scan gauge is right on.

The VW temp gauge reads dead center from about 180F to 300F by scan gauge. On one of the vW forums a member posted the VW look-up table that makes the temperature gauge lie so it always looks like the temp is dead center once the engine is warmed up.

See I knew we couldn't trust De Germanz!
LOL.gif

Using the words "real time" to describe low-latency computing really bugs me.

Many different definitions have sprung up over the years, and only one of them actually makes sense to me, and it refers to where I first heard of the word-group "real time". It was in reference to the digital read-out on my mother's VCR. Older VCRs utilized a timer that had nothing to do with real time, just an arbitrary cycle that seemed to count to 99,999 if needed.

The real time counters counted in hours and minutes, giving you real time indication of where you were in the movie duration.

"Real Time", in accordance with how the words are used in marketing, would give the impression of zero-latency broadcasting or computing, essentially just like "real life", but we all know that is impossible.

Here's a Google of "real time": Google Real Time

Which would you all get, and why: the ScanGauge II or the DashDyno SPD? You can visit AuterraWeb for more info on the DashDyno. I like that the ScanGauge is half the cost of the DashDyno ($170 to $330), but the Dyno has all kinds of features, and can even be hooked up to a laptop.

If there's something cheaper than the ScanGaugeII that will just show me the coolant's temperature, I think I'd prefer that.

On my 2000 Nissan Maxima, PC-based OBD-II scanner stops logging the data after few minutes. I do not believe ScanGauge II will work on this car.

- Vikas

Many cars use the OBD-II bus to send data to the dashboard (almost exactly the same way the Scangauge get it) so it should not cause any problems on those cars...or cars that share the same PCM hardware with ones that do use the OBD-II to send data to the dashboard.

there's the ECO-METER by AUTOMETER , http://www.autometer.com/ecometer/ . Just got one about a month ago . Liking it so far . 1st tank on the ECOMETER , gauge read : 43.2 m.p.g. overall and calculator gave 42.83 m.p.g. ( 101.1 miles divided 2.36 gals. ). Second was 40.05 for gauge and 39.82 for calculator ( 354.4 miles divided by 8.90 gals. ) . Here's a video of it's use , http://www.mpgomatic.com/2009/05/30/2009-toyota-yaris-review/ , we use it for our '09 YARIS w/ automatic . Can be bought for less than $80 . I'd say it's just as accurate as those supplied in many new vehicles .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Built_Well

If there's something cheaper than the ScanGaugeII that will just show me the coolant's temperature, I think I'd prefer that.

http://www.plxkiwi.com

PLX makes two devices, Kiwi and KiwiMPG (which is pretty new). The Kiwi is expensive and flashy but AFAIK not that much more capable than the SG2. The KiwiMPG is under $100, but can only display one thing at a time. I was thinking about getting one of these for the wife's car so we could both monitor MPG (since she doesn't care about monitoring anything else), but haven't yet.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The Kiwi devices are not well thought of.

In terms of functionality, or durability? Can you elaborate? At a lower price and a smaller form factor (right?) than the SG2 the KiwiMPG seems like a decent buy to me if it works, provided one only wants the ability to monitor MPG, or perhaps other things but only one thing at a time. I've never actually used or even seen one in person, though. If you're talking about the full size Kiwi then I'd be inclined to agree, it's expensive and the only features it has over the SG2 seem like gimmicks to me.

The only device like this I've ever used personally is my SG2, and I've had a good experience with the device itself and with Linear Logic's customer service. But, it's overkill for a driver like my wife who doesn't care about monitoring anything but MPG.

Many people over on CleanMPG do not think it is near as good of a device as the Scangauge. Wayne Gerdes (king of hypermiling) included.

I would link to a recent post of his, but it is in the members only section over there. He basically said the functionality of it was very poor compared to a Scangauge. All it does is look pretty.

Ah, I didn't realize cleanmpg had reviewed it. I was keeping my eye out for reviews for a little while after it first came out but eventually stopped looking. I am a member over there, I'll check out the review. Thanks!

It has to be unplugged before hooking up a car battery, otherwise it won't properly connect.

Other than that I enjoy mine tremendously. It's nice to know what the car is doing a half-second before.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
He was so disappointed with it that he didn't even bother doing a full review. That to me says something.

He must have had one of the first ones out. There was a program bug that caused many issues. If you contact the company, they will replace your unit free of charge. I think every one that shipped out since June has the new program installed. From what I have read, people who just want the basic function like the Kiwi MPG.

Does anyone have a ScanGauge connected to an '06 Camry? Can you tell me if the ScanGauge2 will tell you what your oil pressure is? There is no dashboard oil pressure gauge on the '06 Camry, but there is an oil pressure warning light on the dash. Don't know if this means the ScanGauge would be able to display a number for oil pressure or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back