Directional Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought 4 tires for my Ford Escape from Walmart. I noticed the "arrow" on the tire is pointing on the reverse rotation. So, I asked the guy who installed the tire and he told me "I installed hundreds of these, it does not really matter whether the arrow is pointing, it will wear out the same". Is this right?

Last edited:
He is wrong!!!!!!! I remember buying a directional tire, and while rolling it to the trunk of my car, it was hard and awkward to push. But when I turned it around (arrow way) it seemed the tire would roll itself up hill.

Yes and no. Yes as it will wear the same.

No as you are negating most if not all of the traction benefits of a directional tire. I'd have them swap them around. Hope it's not a hassle.

"Wear out the same" or not is not the right answer of wrong installation, the arrow must points to the right direction, it should be counter clockwise on driver side and clockwise on passenger side, to get the wet traction benefit of a directional tire.

I agree with all above comments. Its directional for a reason, its about traction not wear. Have them do it right for free. Talk to the manager if they arent hearing it. Good luck!

Stories like this is why I will never take a vehicle of mine to Walmart for any kind of automotive service.

My step-daughter had problems with a leaking oil filter after having her Escape serviced at the local Walmart here where I live.

Don't know anything about your financial situation and so it may be that you have to buy your tires from them. Or, maybe it's just your choice. But I would make them correct their oversight on this tire install.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
The oversight wouldn't bother me much and could happen anywhere. The employee's response is what is ridiculous.

My thoughts too..
My dad is guilty of installing his own tires (mounted on rims in the spring) the wrong way and saying it didn't matter. He didn't even notice the directional arrow on the sidewall.

Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner
He is wrong!!!!!!! I remember buying a directional tire, and while rolling it to the trunk of my car, it was hard and awkward to push. But when I turned it around (arrow way) it seemed the tire would roll itself up hill.

lol.gif

I have directional tires on my bicycle. When I have it up on my car rack they never stop spinning. In fact I'm thinking of wiring up a magneto to keep my iPod charged.
crackmeup2.gif

Many motorcycle tires are directional, and it is common but not universal for the front to have the tread the other direction--V going forward at the top instead of A pattern we'd expect. The conventional wisdom is that the usual pattern going forward is better for traction and the opposite is better for braking (and the vast majority of motorcycle braking is done by the front tire as weight transfers off the rear).

Anyway, tell the tire shop manager that you'll pay if the directional arrows are the right way, and he'll pay you if the arrows are the opposite way. Sounds fair to me....

My parents blew out the tires on one side of their car. Long story - won't get into it. However, my mom took the car to Costco for new tires, and they put the two remaining directional tires on the same axle and installed nondirectional tires on the other. I noticed this and brought it in to see if they could do anything about it. The agreed to remount it for $10. The installer seemed pretty competent, although I suppose not all are.

I'm not sure how critical it was since the tires were pretty worn. However, my folks are cheap and weren't about to go for new tires. In a few years I ended up just getting them a set of 4 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S while they were out of town, since they would have probably run them down until the belts showed.

I've had a few sets of directional tires on my cars in the past and to my understanding, having them mounted the wrong way may affect wet traction more vs. dry traction. During rain, the clearing of water from the treads may be adversely affected due to the improper tread direction. I would definitely take it back to the pinheads at Walmart and have them re-mount it correctly with you standing next to them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
I've had a few sets of directional tires on my cars in the past and to my understanding, having them mounted the wrong way may affect wet traction more vs. dry traction. During rain, the clearing of water from the treads may be adversely affected due to the improper tread direction. I would definitely take it back to the pinheads at Walmart and have them re-mount it correctly with you standing next to them.

Tread design is important to dry traction to some degree. A lot of the reason for longer lasting tires with better traction is from modern computer modeling.

Directional tires are pretty much designed to channel water either out the back and or to the sides. If you've got it reversed, some designs might be more likely to hydroplane because it channels water to one point where it gets trapped and forms a wedge of water. Some directional tires have large longitudinal channels, so I'm guessing it wouldn't be too severe, although they're designed to channel water to the channels and out the sides.

This definitely has a direction, but they have narrow channels out the sides. I think it's designed to remove some water out the side channels, and reversing it would simply channel more water to the inside channel.

mi_pilot_exalto_as_ci2_l.jpg

I had Dunlop SP Sport 9000s on my car, and if they're on backwards they will trap water at dead ends.

du_sp_sport_9000_ci2_l.jpg

At one time I thought maybe the belts might be laid out in a specific way, but apparently that's not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back