Direct Fit Floor Mats

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dealership. The OEM rubber mats in both of our cars are very high quality and (obviously) fit just as they are supposed to fit. We have the front and rear mats and the rear cargo mat in both. It's the first thing I do when I get a new or new-to-me car.

The mats in our Acura are 100k miles old (my folks bought them when they bought the car new). They show zero wear. And I mean ZERO wear.

WeatherTech floor liners. They absolutely live up to the hype & advertising of their "perfect fit system" or whatever it's called. US made, which is a bonus.

Would love to have a set of the WeatherTech floor liners, but my Ranger has a vinyl floor and WeatherTech says the mats won't work. Anybody ever have the WeatherTech's with a vinyl floor, and how did they work out?

Originally Posted By: jimbeamalki
Would love to have a set of the WeatherTech floor liners, but my Ranger has a vinyl floor and WeatherTech says the mats won't work. Anybody ever have the WeatherTech's with a vinyl floor, and how did they work out?

I suspect there's no anchors and that's why you can't use them.

What I want to know,is how do those WeatherTech liners hold up to "heel" use? The heel areas around the gas pedal take a beating with standard vinyl/rubber mats.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
What I want to know,is how do those WeatherTech liners hold up to "heel" use? The heel areas around the gas pedal take a beating with standard vinyl/rubber mats.

I have them in my truck and they have held up perfect. No wear at all and they fit nice and tight so they never move. And I am usually wearing a work boot when driving it.

Originally Posted By: jimbeamalki

I have had them in my truck for the past 50k miles. They slide around a bit but are not really a problem.

OEM carpet is doing ok in the Camry, but the OEM carpet on my Jetta wore a hole inside of 3 years IIRC. Mats that is.

Just put in Weathertech in the Tundra, and I like them. Without a doubt carpet looks better. But I think these will last a long time, and will keep snow/slush/etc in control better than carpet. The Weathertechs have nubs on the backside, and I don't notice sliding at all.

Last edited:

Its woman's high heels that cause the problem. They could drill through a floor mat made of boiler plate steel.

My wife bought the floor mats for her Civic for something like $10. Didn't fit, slid around all the time, and eventually there was a hole right in the center. I figured it needed new mats and when I was at a dealer I asked if they had them and if they could apply a 25% off accessories coupon. So they did, and $70 plus tax later we had direct fit floormats. It was a 3-piece set with one long piece for the back. It was folded over, but I think the crease should be less noticeable with time. The driver side also came with pegs that fit into two square holes in the floor. There were already flaps cut in from the factory and I didn't have to cut them any further. These look nice, but my wife tells me that they're not going to be her birthday present.

I remember once I tore the lining in the hatch of my '95 Integra GS-R trying to get a TV in there. I also tore off a couple of plastic clips, but those were cheap to replace. I asked how my it would be to get just the lining, and it was ridiculous. A dealer parts dept suggested a trunk mat that matched the look of the factory floor mats I got when I bought my car. So then it covered up the tear in the lining and looked pretty good to boot.

My WRX actually came standard with floor mats. First car I've ever had with them. The only issue I have is that the driver side mat is held on a single short peg, and always popped out. I tried different methods to fix it in place, including a Velcro tie. Eventually the peg came out of the rectangular hole in the carpeting.

Donald is right on with women's high heels. I worked for several decades for a major resilient flooring manufacturer. We measured that when a 125 pound woman in a stiletto heel comes down on the back edge of the heel, she is exerting about 4000 psi momentarily!!! We also had a test with a huge metal roller with spike heels with rubber tips that rolled over a floor for a period of time as a test. Quite a destructive test. You see this type of wear in high end dress shops, in front of teller's windows at the bank and in areas where parties or gatherings are held where women wear these shoes.

It is not at all surprising that floor mats would show similar wear issues as Donald (above) has suggested.

That's funny. I remember this co-worker who's a petite lady that kept wearing holes through not only the floor mat but the carpet under the mat. This was on a new 2004 Grand Prix. The dealer kept replacing not only the floor mat but the entire carpet section floor piece. Which was very expensive to do. After 2-3 times they said that they wouldn't cover the repair any more.

Originally Posted By: dparm

That's exactly it. My buddy has a new F-150 with the vinyl floor, and ordered the WeatherTech mats anyhow. They work, but there's just no anchors.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The dealership. The OEM rubber mats in both of our cars are very high quality and (obviously) fit just as they are supposed to fit. We have the front and rear mats and the rear cargo mat in both. It's the first thing I do when I get a new or new-to-me car.

The mats in our Acura are 100k miles old (my folks bought them when they bought the car new). They show zero wear. And I mean ZERO wear.
The floor mat in 2012 Acura TL are quite thin and most likely will wear out in just few years. No, I did not pay extra for them but they are OEM.

Quote:
These look nice, but my wife tells me that they're not going to be her birthday present.
You owe me new keyboard :)

Try Husky mats for a cheaper alternative to the expensive Weathertech liners. I don't think the quality is as good but they are just floor mats.

Have had Weathertech digital cut floor liners in multiple trucks and suv's and they hold up great. One of the best accessories you can add.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: dparm

That's exactly it. My buddy has a new F-150 with the vinyl floor, and ordered the WeatherTech mats anyhow. They work, but there's just no anchors.

It begs the question though if you have a vinyl floor why do you need the liners? Seems redundant to me.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
It begs the question though if you have a vinyl floor why do you need the liners? Seems redundant to me.

I've known him for so long I didn't even bother asking that question, since I already knew the answer. He's anal retentive.

It also skips over why he didn't try Husky liners or something from Walmart, but it's all related to the answer above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back