Dino vs Synthetic 5w30 cold pour test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmm chunky

Too impatient to watch the video all the way through... But did he mention what sort of temperatures he chilled the oils to?

Huh... So I tossed a synthetic bottle each of mobil 1, valvoline, and amsoil I had laying around in the freezer. Mobil 1 and amsoil got thick, but not much else. Valvoline got thick and cloudy. I didn't observe any cloudyness with the other oils

Here's my take:

First of all it appears he is some type of student perhaps making a class project. Making fun of his tie and such is perhaps all in good fun, but let's help this future oil guy rather than use redicule. I don't think there is a lot you can take away from this as a "comparison", so the title of this thread on BITOG is misleading. I only watched the video once but here are my observations.

1) He should segment and bulletize the API SAE lingo up front right after he does a 30-45 second segment on the real definition of viscosity. I mean that is the title of his video.

2) Too much focus on the word paraffin without using or defining the word paraffinic carbon chain molecules. Probably a 2 minute segment here would square this up nicely. People walk away with the whole wax myth more firmly planted in their weak minds.

3) As someone mentioned, doesn't seem to be any temperature controls or details on the chilling methodology.

4) Yes, the spelling. I mean the bottle is right there. Not a spelling nazi but misspelling just takes away from the whole thing.

5) He uses up valuable time at the end playing with his goo a verbally driving home his point but without even mentioning base oil group types, or VII, or polymeric thickeners, etc. This would have really helped him, but he didn't appear to have done that level of research.

A solid C. A good beginning effort would love to see his next steps on his early path as he has much to learn.

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter

Too impatient to watch the video all the way through... But did he mention what sort of temperatures he chilled the oils to?

-30C or -22F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back