Dinner when wife is out of town

Screenshot_20220304-183259-081.jpg

Reactions: GON
Sometimes "comfort food" hits the spot. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and a vegetable with hot rolls.

Or some chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes. The list could go on and on......

Fancy cooking and steaks are great, but sometimes, getting into the bargain foods is just as satisfying.

James Garner was (like) Paul Newman , a qualified race driver who drove in quite a few races.
Beyond the screen in “real life” Garner also actively participated in auto racing both on-road and off-road. He drove the pace car at the Indianapolis 500 on three occasions in 1975, 1977 and 1985. He owned the American International Racing team, from 1967 through 1969; team members raced in both Daytona and Sebring. Garner participated in many off-road races as a driver. His presence often brought a touch of publicity to the sport, while still being treated as an “everyday-man” by his fellow racers. He attended the first Stardust 7-11 in Las Vegas. There, he co-drove with Scooter Patrick in a Porsche-powered Manx owned by John Crean. The men did not finish the race. His presence at the 1968 NORRA Mexican 1000 helped to generate publicity for the event and coverage on ABC’s show the Wide World of Sports. In 1972, Garner raced the Banshee, a vehicle built for him by fellow Hall of Fame Inductee Vic Hickey. Garner won the Riverside Grand Prix in the vehicle, despite the fact that he crashed the car towards the end of the event. He also placed the car in the top five at a number of races. Hickey said of Garner “The thing about Garner was that, while he wasn’t the world’s most fearless driver, he had the best retention of any man who drove for me. On a pre-run, if he hit a bump, he come back five days later and would tell you where it was within ten feet.”

• Wow
Made my Bride frozen strip steaks purchased from LIDL last August (they were higher quality on a great sale). Pasta roni, and mixed frozen vegetables. Turned out enjoyable.

PXL_20220305_230508550.jpg
PXL_20220305_230716880.jpg
PXL_20220305_230911002.jpg
PXL_20220305_231754402.jpg

Sometimes "comfort food" hits the spot. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and a vegetable with hot rolls.

Or some chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes. The list could go on and on......

Fancy cooking and steaks are great, but sometimes, getting into the bargain foods is just as satisfying.
JD, great suggestion- but comfort food "done right" takes some work. I am working on preparing for a move, so I kept it simple.

My wife and youngest son are flying out to Dakota State tomorrow (flying to Minneapolis and renting a car).

Already have ZZTop "TV Dinner" cued up. I already do all the cooking, so good to go. Probably going to work from home and smoke a butt.
I do hope
"the sauce is not too blue."

Wife is visiting the grandsons in Colorado this week.

In the past when my Wife was out of town, I would go out to eat most nights. I have been finding the enjoyability of going out to eat less and less.

Little meal tonight, all from LIDL.

Lasagna: $3.19
Antipasto- $2.19
Cheese roll- $0.79
Australian Shiraz- $5.99

Super easy to clean up. I don't like to microwave meals, so the lasagna takes about 1 hour in the oven.

Last night I had one antipasto and two cheese rolls for dinner. I have to say, the antipasto is really enjoyable, and the price can't be beat.

On a side note, I am not allowed to watch what I like on TV I like when my Wife is home. She puts on things "we both should like". I go along with it; I have spent more nights away from home than with her over the past decades- so she wins that battle. On TV tonight is Kojak and Rockford Files. Love seeing the cars in both series. Always amazed at the "boats" the detectives drive in Kojack.

View attachment 90943

Hair pie is always on sale.

Back