Digital Tire Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they really more accurite then all the other ones?...I was thinking of picking up one this weekend...For some unknown reason tires in South Florida lose quite of bit of air every month...Any brand better then the rest?

I got one from the In-laws fr a stocking stuffer last year. I love it and it works very well. No brand name on it and I tossed the package.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
They are a lot more fragile than the other ones.

I've found them to be the opposite. You can toss a digital around like a rag doll and it will stay accurate as there is no mechanism inside to fail. I've lightly dropped a $15 dial accugauge and it was busted!

If you're going to the local parts store to get one ask to test three of them. If they all read the same they should be relatively accurate.

I've owned several and compared them to my fancy analog gauge. Haven't found more than 0.5 psi difference between digital and analog.

If you want accuracy, you need to buy a gauge that can be calibrated. The technology type really means nothing here.

I have found milton's to be accurate. there is no reason to believe that the sensor used in a cheap digital tire gauge from china is any more accurate than anything else - altho I admittedly use one. when I really want an accurate reading I use a schraeder type air fitting from an air line that is attached to a round pressure gauge. it looks kinda cobbled, but I know that its fairly accurate.

Originally Posted By: Seguino
If you're going to the local parts store to get one ask to test three of them. If they all read the same they should be relatively accurate.

Good idea...I am going to check them out tomorrow.

Thank you all very much.

I find it easier to get the air pressure exactly right with a cheap digital one. Since my TPMS is picky, its the only one I grab now.

I thuink you'll find that all pressure gauges have some sort of statement about accuracy. If it doesn't - it might be best to stay away from those.

But, in the big scheme of things, even the pencil types - the ones most likely not to have an accuracy statement - are accurate enough for ordinary use.

But if you're talking about how rugged they are - entirely different question.

I bought one for my wife at Napa and a replacement regular one for my car when we had 2 cars. I still want to show her how to use the other since I think the battery is going and it ain't worth replacing.

Grassroots Motorsports tested a few different gauges a few months ago. Basically, they tested "cheap digital" to "expensive analog". I believe they found the cheap digital to be accurate more often and less sensitive to rough handling. Will have to go find that article and check my memory, I guess.

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope
Grassroots Motorsports tested a few different gauges a few months ago. Basically, they tested "cheap digital" to "expensive analog". I believe they found the cheap digital to be accurate more often and less sensitive to rough handling. Will have to go find that article and check my memory, I guess.

robert

I've bought a few Accugage (from G.H. Meisner) mechanical gauges. They seem to be fairly accurate, although their resistance to shocks is probably their weak point. Once I dropped one and the accuracy went way down. All of a sudden my tire that was at 30+ PSI was registering 20 PSI. It probably wasn't properly at zero either. I'm thinking some of the internal metal components had been bent. I also remember they had an offer on the blister package for a rubber protection sleeve.

It seems that electronic pressure measuring devices are close to being solid-state, and I'm guessing they're more robust than 100% mechanical gauges. Apparently one technology is to use a diaphragm that deflects under pressure changes along with electronic sensors to measure that deflection and convert that to a pressure reading. I suppose the parts could break when dropped.

http://autoelectronics.com/mag/auto_industry_strives/index.html

My gauge of choice now is an older Topeak digital bicycle tire gauge. It's got a little switch that allows the end to be selected for either Schraeder or those little narrow Presta valves. I got it from an Eddie Bauer store (cobranded with the EB name) with a special $15 coupon; it's price was $20. It's been doing pretty well for a bunch of years. I think it'll probably be done when the rubber around the valve opening can no longer keep a good seal and it leaks too much to provide an accurate reading.

Last edited:
Wikipedia is interesting. Apparently there are multitudes of ways to measure pressure electronically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_sensor

I think the most common type of dial gauge is known as a "Bourdon tube". I'd imagine that there's sensitivity to damage from shock. If the coil is permanently deformed, I'm guessing that turns one of these things into a paperweight. This isn't a tire gauge, but I'd think the operating principles are similar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_pressure#Bourdon
486px-Manometer_inside.jpg

I have the dreaded 1st generation tpms sensors on my vehicle and I finally broke down and Ibought a small cheap digital tire guage finally...and I really like the accuracy on it since it shows the half pounds also.

The digital is quite accurate, and if you set the display to psi mode (rather than bar or kPa) it can show half psi accuracy.

One thing that I find a bit annoying is the reading sometimes fluctuates if your tires have nitrogen or the gauge battery is weak.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
The digital is quite accurate, and if you set the display to psi mode (rather than bar or kPa) it can show half psi accuracy.

One thing that I find a bit annoying is the reading sometimes fluctuates if your tires have nitrogen or the gauge battery is weak.

100% or 80% nitrogen (air) shouldn't make a difference with a pressure gauge. A weak battery was likely the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back