Differential oil change pictures, Amsoil 75W-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to changing the dif oil to synthetic in my S10. Last year, I pumped it out and replaced it with SuperTech 80W-90 as a flush. (see the thread I started "Changing the differential oil without removing the cover", or something like that). Vehicle is a 1992 4.3L, 3.08 7.5 inch rear end, 31K miles.

Some observations and musings

1) No magnet present! There is a dimple on the old cover where a doughnut magnetic should be, yet no magnet was found anywhere (see pictures). The new cover did come with a doughnut magnet, but it was lacking the dimple! It was also a very weak magnet, so I used one from an old hard drive instead. I didn't put this on the cover, but the base, in the valley under the pinon.

2) No "white slime of death" present. If there was no magnet to catch the break-in metals, and no residue, it seems likely that most of the wear metals did indeed get pumped out with the first change, when the cover was not removed. (before doing the drains, I drove for about 15 minutes to stir things up)

3) The SuperTech oil I used for a flush only had about 1K miles and less than a year on it. It looked to be in very good condition, nice and clean, which I would hope after such a short period. However, it looks like there could be some foaming going on. Since I'm not an expert on these things, see the pictures and decide for yourself if that is true "foam", or normal.

So, no magnet, no white slime found, and factory fill first replaced after 17 years and 30K miles, yet everything looks good. The Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 might be overkill, but this rear end should now last a LONG time.

jugtvP4040042.JPG

hhdrcP4280027.JPG

jcbpyP5030029.JPG

uijbpP5030043.JPG

mcpshP5030031.JPG

eykpvP5030032.JPG

tkeqjP5030033.JPG

kmgtnP5030035.JPG

nffxhP5030037.JPG

zzfpsP5030040.JPG

Last edited:
Your right it's overkill especially when you don't even put 2,000 miles on it in a year...if that's still your driving pattern?

Just don't say you use Amsoil in the crankcase and change it every year either.
grin2.gif

Clean diff

I had the foaming problem with the ST fluid as well in both my front and rear diffs for my Jeep. I noticed it when I was checking the level before a wheeling trip. Can't say I saw any excess wear material on the magnets but I decided to dump it after only 500 miles and replace with Mobil 75w-90.

I hate to waste so I dumped it into another beater. Foams but doesn't seem to any damage after 3K in the beater.

BTW that red looks sharp.

Last edited:
Nice pics. What kind of camera did you use? ( that was for Mori :)

Was it over-filled? That could account for the foaming. Also, maybe ST doesn't have much in the way of anti-foaming agents?

Even tho the SG was overkill, I understand the obsession~

My driving pattern is still about the same, but I have a very heavy foot. The extra $20 for Amsoil was no biggie, since I never plan on doing this again. I made the decision to use Severe Gear after reading the report on gear oils.

Anyone have a take on the "foam" in the pics, is that normal or excessive???

PS: Crankcase currently has PP 5W-30, and is changed every 3K miles or so (about 2 years, I don't like keeping engine oil in longer than that, no matter how low the mileage on it).

Thanks. Here are a few interior pics. Camera used is an old Olympus D-460, only 1.3 M Pixels, $600 when new 10 years ago! People often say this camera takes good pics, which is more proof a good lens matters more than the megapixel spin.

(Edit: the differential was not overfilled)

zsfyhP4040025.JPG

miamcP4040024.JPG

cephaP4040023.JPG

bjvxhP4040021.JPG

HD Radio

Last edited:
Yep, I installed a Gibson stainless steel cat back system when I failed inspection this year due to a swiss cheese exhaust system.....

funny how everything after the cat was totally rotted out from the inside (no road salt here), but the rest of the exhaust system is still in decent shape......

The forward pipes may have a higher nickel content as many manufactureres use. Basically stainless but can get a light rust but won't burnout.

Originally Posted By: willix
The forward pipes may have a higher nickel content as many manufactureres use. Basically stainless but can get a light rust but won't burnout.

OK, that makes sense, and I learn something new every day.

Does anyone know why there is white "paint" in the differential? Some of it is coming off, and I noticed white paint chips floating around in there, as can be seen on one of the pics of ring gear.

I'm sure it is of no consequence, just curious.

PS: Gibson makes a nice cat-back system for this truck, if anyone wants my opinion. I'm very happy with it.

The white paint is just manufacture markings and nothing to worry about.

I like the independently mounted SUN tach. Brings back memories from my youth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back