differential fluid change coming up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: electrolover
Just checked our records. The dealer used 75/140 when they changed it. And charged $22 a qt! Lol
Anyway thats probably what I will put back in it. But I haven't made up my mind on brand yet.

That is about right for the Motorcraft 75w140, they are proud of that fluid.

Is it a Castrol fluid? Similar to XJ that they blend for BMW?

I dont know what it is. But if it comes with extra awesomeness or something I would buy more of it.

Look on the Amsoil website for your vehicle. Order some SVG from them. You can probably be done with changing the diff. for the rest of the time you keep the vehicle.

The Amsoil comes to your house in about 2 days, what could be easier.

I've used Valvoline Synpower for years with no problems. In my Jeep, Crown Vic, snowblower and roto-tiller gear boxes. For $13 you get a quality product. Then again I'm a Valvoline "fan boy."

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: electrolover
Just checked our records. The dealer used 75/140 when they changed it. And charged $22 a qt! Lol
Anyway thats probably what I will put back in it. But I haven't made up my mind on brand yet.

That is about right for the Motorcraft 75w140, they are proud of that fluid.

Is it a Castrol fluid? Similar to XJ that they blend for BMW?

No, just made from endangered pixie dust.

Originally Posted By: PZR2874
This is what I've had in my gearbox for over 50K and it's getting better with age. Not sure if it can be used in the diffs but worth a look.

Motorcraft XT-M5-QS

That is for manual gearboxes, not differentials. Plus that stuff costs more than the XY-75W140-QL.

Wow, $22 a quart. Go buy some Redline, amsoil or RP and have them use it for your fill. You can save almost enough to pay for the labor to change it out.

Well I just checked the fluid. It was full and clear looking so I think im going to let it go til about 150k. No sense changing it if its still new right?

Thanks for the responses

I don't change mine by how it 'looks'. Ford does know what they are doing. Cop service is much different then normal usage. The 80w90 is better for fuel mileage. The 80w140 is not. Its for very severe service. I asked American Axel engineer about the gear oil in my 3500 dually. Its their rear axels. Book calls for 80w90. On the forumns guys go on and on about using the 140. The engineer said NO to the 140. Said our axels,diffs we want the 80w90 used. Had to do with flow and heat dispersion.

I see a lot of stories on the internet about these rearends failing. I dont know if its a design flaw or if they get a leak and folks are running em dry.

But I do know that ford redesigned the axle seals and says to over fill the unit with 75/140. Sounds to me like there is an issue....im just not sure what it is.

Anyhow I just noticed its leaking AGAIN. This time it looks like its coming from the pinion seal. I will be dropping it off next week at the dealership and asking a lot of questions. Im also goin to make them check the venting system.

I will let yall know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back