Difference between these RTVs?

There’s a lot of odd and partially incorrect information running around in this thread.
I think the moisture part is correct. SOP was to lay a wet rag over the part with rtv to hasten "cure" time. Maybe that is not required anymore...

Well one is "OEM specified" and one "Meets OEM Specs", ones Grey (IIRC) and ones Black.

FWIW, The stuff in a green tube works fine on diffs.

In the “Right Stuff” line they have:

1 minute Grey
1 minute Black
1 minute Red

90 minute Grey
90 minute Black
90 minute Red

If you want to learn a lot about the products there is this course for pros:

1EAA4E63-CA01-465F-80D5-3D853378B3B4.jpg

Who says they did? The package just says it's for differentials and transfer cases, presumably because it "resists friction modifiers".

That doesn't mean that other RTV doesn't resist friction modifiers. I don't recall seeing specific RTV for differential and transfer cases before.

It's kinda like peanut butter that claims it's cholesterol-free. Yes, that's true, but all peanut butter is cholesterol-free.

Marketing hype.

And hey, they can sell 3 tubes of RTV when before they'd only sell one. It's not like the stuff has a long shelf life...
Exactly what I was arguing.

Well one is "OEM specified" and one "Meets OEM Specs", ones Grey (IIRC) and ones Black.

FWIW, The stuff in a green tube works fine on diffs.
I'm sure the green stuff works absolutely fine for diffs. It is described to meet OE specs, I am wondering when its ok to fill the diff.. Its curing time is 2 hours "tack fee" and full cure time of 24 hours. I'm wondering at what point they can fill the diff safely, customers waiting receive it back when its done.. Do they wait 2 hours for it to be "tack free" or do they just fill it and send it out.

Many people state that they wait about 15 mins then fill and go, some even as low as 5 mins to no mins on RTV that has a cure time of 24 hours. I'd like to know if the 2 hour tack time is enough to fill the diff with oil? Anyone do that before?

Now I found this just for automatic transmission pans

91c15iu0VXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Wondering if they are not basically all the same and it's just marketing so you will buy a different one for each application?
Mopar did have an ATF-RTV they called for. It was black but there was some truth to it.

Toyota calls for 3 separate RTVs - FIPG 103(1207B) for general engine sealing, FIPG 1282B for coolant sealing(but there’s a little debate to its merits) and FIPG 1281, an orange RTV for ATF/hybrid unit/rear diff sealing.

What ever you do, read the instructions. With Permatex Ultra gray you let it partially set up then turn the bolt. With Permatex Ultra Black you don’t. These are specialized products, and some require specialized techniques.

Read the ‘strutions !

CC088A63-8026-4C74-9E01-88CA272B64FC.jpeg
EB6FA6EA-E175-420E-BAD0-45F8706F6344.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm sure the green stuff works absolutely fine for diffs. It is described to meet OE specs, I am wondering when its ok to fill the diff.. Its curing time is 2 hours "tack fee" and full cure time of 24 hours. I'm wondering at what point they can fill the diff safely, customers waiting receive it back when its done.. Do they wait 2 hours for it to be "tack free" or do they just fill it and send it out.

Many people state that they wait about 15 mins then fill and go, some even as low as 5 mins to no mins on RTV that has a cure time of 24 hours. I'd like to know if the 2 hour tack time is enough to fill the diff with oil? Anyone do that before?
The friction modifiers in trans and gear oil are different than engine oil. Not all RTV’s can withstand the friction modifiers long term, which is why different products exist. Same with certain organic acid coolants.

FCA has separate RTV’s for trans fluid, gear oil and engine oil. Toyota has separate RTV’s for engine oil, trans oil and coolant.

Not Exactly

My memory is fuzzy on the green tube stuff i used on the Ranger cover, i think i waited overnight, maybe not exactly 24 hours. I didn't really need it so there was no reason to try to put it right back in service.

When i had my transit van done at a dealer i had it back the same afternoon so they didn't wait long - and it held up at least 50,000 miles

I think if you have the option of waiting its increases the chance of success, but i wouldn't sweat it too much if you don't...

Let me clarify. They have an RTV product that they say is resistant to oil, coolant, transmission and gear oil. One single product, designed for use with all 4 of those.

They also have other products that they don't make these claims for.
I saw that product today. Its Permatex OPTIMUM black or grey RTV, and it sure does say its made for everything. I actually looked it up on Amazon for curiosity of price. Every single tube of it on there had a 2-3 month shipping delay.
Found it on ebay for about $24.

It still requires a 24h cure time though, all the optimum products do.

I have no problem waiting for it to fully cure, I've always done it that way and I've never had a leak.

I saw that product today. Its Permatex OPTIMUM black or grey RTV, and it sure does say its made for everything. I actually looked it up on Amazon for curiosity of price. Every single tube of it on there had a 2-3 month shipping delay.

It's in stock at my local Advance Auto Parts.

Back