Difference between light bulbs; incandescent vs LED.

The one thing I've found is that no name LED bulbs from China are no bargain. Some are bad right out of the box or they go bad quickly. Going forward I'll only buy name brand LED bulbs.

Yes but when name brands have chinese factories?

My chinese no name cfl are the same as Philips cfl, they've been good so far and cost me like $0.10 each

I had 1 that did it out of the box, butit flickered once every few seconds, so likely a component that overheated

I should have included the fact that my experience with these filament types is admittedly pretty limited. I have only around 2 dozen in service and I haven’t put nearly as many hours on them as some of the older models, like the ancient-looking Cree bulbs.

I should have included the fact that my experience with these filament types is admittedly pretty limited. I have only around 2 dozen in service and I haven’t put nearly as many hours on them as some of the older models, like the ancient-looking Cree bulbs.

I really like that they give a warm white light.

check out the Dubai Led filament bulbs....

I really like that they give a warm white light.

check out the Dubai Led filament bulbs....

Was it you who pointed out that the lights with the base cast a shadow? I also like that the filament type of bulbs emit practically omnidirectional light.

I actually just got a bunch of 100W equivalent candelabra bulbs. Absolutely awesome. My dining room fixture has six on a dimmer and having those extra lumens is great.

If the difference isn't obvious then LED must be warm white to match the colour temperature of the incandescent bulbs of around 2700K.

Exactly right ….

I found 3,000K LED lights last night that tea are quite similar to incandescent light bulbs.

Yes but when name brands have chinese factories?

My chinese no name cfl are the same as Philips cfl, they've been good so far and cost me like $0.10 each
Maybe you just are lucky. I trust international brands like GE, Phillips and Sylvania. I will no longer buy any "No Name" light bulb brands, and that includes Great Value at Walmart..

Maybe you just are lucky. I trust international brands like GE, Phillips and Sylvania. I will no longer buy any "No Name" light bulb brands, and that includes Great Value at Walmart..

I honestly think they come from a chinese factory that makes bulbs for Philips.

at 10 cents each, they don't have to last very long anyway, but in 10 years I had 2 failures.

I MIGHT be able to if the incandescent bulbs were mixed in with the LEDs, but with them grouped in threes it’s too close.
I'd figure it out by the "soft white" dusting inside the glass. Obviously it would be easier with them turned off but I could figure it out, on, as well. LEDs have a more plastic-y diffuser.

I'd figure it out by the "soft white" dusting inside the glass. Obviously it would be easier with them turned off but I could figure it out, on, as well. LEDs have a more plastic-y diffuser.

The lower watt incandescent bulbs are way more distinguishable. I had some leftover 40W and they have a very bright “core”. The higher wattage ones are very hard to tell, if you don’t know what you’re looking for. In other words, if I was in someone else’s house who was using these filament-type LEDs, I’d probably think to myself: ’this guy is still using incandescents everywhere!?’

Seriously, if you haven’t seen filament-type LEDs, you have to in order to understand. There is no weird reflector, fat base or anything to clue you into the fact that they’re LED if you haven’t seen them before. Even if you have, it would be difficult to the average person.

Part of my point, is that a lot of people refused to (or begrudgingly) adopted CFL and early LED tech, because they liked how incandescent bulbs looked. If you’ve got the money and we’re willing to pay a small amount more for electricity, there was no real benefit. THESE LED bulbs are so close that the arguments against them rings hollow.

Now, some of the LED bulbs I’ve purchased have failed way too soon. HOWEVER, altogether, the ROI is quite short. Except for infrequently used bulbs, there’s little excuse to NOT literally throw away old incandescent bulbs in most cases; the exception being like the incandescent bulbs I’m using in ceiling fans, with the fan on, and in a house with all-electric heat anyway.

For bulbs that stay on most of the day the ROI is well less than the warranty period, so there is zero reason to be a hold out.

Finally, I can totally understand wanting to maximize the use of mercury-containing CFL bulbs for environmental reasons. For me, the bulbs will eventually end up being properly disposed of anyway, so I selfishly choose to save money now by using LED bulbs.

Last edited:
You know, got up late today and I was trying to figure out what the heck I typed yesterday. You got me

Man, I consider myself knowledgeable, if not actually very bright. Lol. You’re smart AND bright, from what I’ve read from you.

I‘ve been slowing modifying my blunt responses that should, and usually are, taken harshly, because I don’t always use emojis and my humor is a little subtle. The reason: I almost exclusively post from my phone, after spending way too little time reading and comprehending the intent of the thread. A bad habit, for sure. I also understand that I ask questions or make statements that, upon later reading, pretty much seem like, ‘are you dumb? Let me tell you why you’re so dumb’, when I’m usually being quite literal.

So, if I post dumb stuff unintentionally, I try to think the same of others. Dang (apparently the other D word is censored…), did I just call you dumb? I know YOU get it, but just in case it isn‘t clear, I’m being facetious. :poop:

Back