Difference Between AC Delco Professional, AC Delco Genuine Parts, Moog

Looking to replace a few suspension parts on my 03 Suburban 1500.
I see a few options.
Can anyone explain the difference between the AC Delco professional parts and the AC Delco Genuine parts...other than the fact that the genuine is twice the cost?
Is MOOG any good now? A few years back there was discussion about the quality wasn't what it used to be.

Moog is for the most part Chinesium now. ACDelco Genuine will be the OE part. ACDelco Professional is basically reboxed Moog that is offered to compete with the aftermarket. Much similar to situations where Ford offers a OE part and a Motorcraft value line part.
So then out of curiosity, who makes the OE part?

So then out of curiosity, who makes the OE part?
That's a good question. It could very well be that they are still made by Federal Mogul but to a higher level spec than Moog. The domestic OEMs tend to be rather protective of their vendors. But I have sent warranty parts back to a number of vendors for inspection.

Moog and AC Delco Professional line are effectively equivalent. I use both interchangeably.

GM Genuine is what GM used on the assembly line and you're definitely paying for the brand. Compare images of the GM Genuine part to the Moog, AC Delco, Delphi, and Mevotech equivalents to see what you're actually getting.

In the case of tie rod ends for a 2014 Encore, the GM Genuine outer tie rod ends look identical to the Moog equivalent, but at a 50%-ish markup.

Upon inspection, it looks and feels as if the parts are still in tact, however the inner tie rod boots on both sides are compromised.
Debating if I should replace inner and outer with AC Delco Genuine, or Professional.
Seems like the Genuine would be a more reliable part.
300.00 vs 150.00
If I could get inner boots, I would probably just change the inner boots and get the Genuine ends.

Upon inspection, it looks and feels as if the parts are still in tact, however the inner tie rod boots on both sides are compromised.
Debating if I should replace inner and outer with AC Delco Genuine, or Professional.
Seems like the Genuine would be a more reliable part.
300.00 vs 150.00
If I could get inner boots, I would probably just change the inner boots and get the Genuine ends.
If the original parts lasted 18 years and you want the replacement to last that long, buy OE. It will most likely be made in the USA or Canada, hense the big price discrepancy. If you plan to get rid of it in the next 5 years, the other choices made in China or Mexico are fine. Just stay away from Mevotech or MAS.

There are three lines of ACDelco replacement parts.
ACDelco OE is equivalent to what comes off the assembly line and this SHOULD be what you want on your vehicle.
ACDelco Professional is a good-to-average replacement part, hopefully you can get a couple of years out of it.
ACDelco Advantage is what you put on your vehicle if you are driving it straight to the salvage yard and hopefully that part will allow you to get there.

Thanks, I will spend the extra for the OE parts.
That is a wise decision. Should you run into obstacles in terms of sourcing parts from GM's Original Equipment line, I would suggest you look at Lemforder and TRW, both of which are owned by ZF. Their ball joints will more than likely be made in South Korea, but they are on par with what GM offers in their Original Equipment line. They will be sealed, they will have a high quality rubber boot and a tight seal that'll be good for quite a long time.

Generic Chinesium is an old man term from the days when Chinese made parts first came out. AC Delco Professional parts are fine. I would venture that most are made in China but this is upper level stuff. China banging is lots of fun, but you will be paying a lot more. Up to you. ;)

country of origin doesn’t always tell the full story, unless it’s turkey. in my experience anything suspension made there is a good product, regardless of price point

Back