diff cover rtv

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm changing the rear bearings on my explorer today and will need to get some rtv for the rear diff cover. Anybody know if any rtv will do or is there a certain kind? I'd like to just use permatex black so I can use it for other stuff too.

EDIT: Haha this is what I get for searching

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automot...rtv_sealant.htm

Anybody know if this stuff is available locally? If not, what else can I use? I don't want to use a gasket because I have to do a bunch in the future.

Last edited:
You go to Ford, and you buy the "Ford Grey" RTV. It is the best RTV I've ever used, from anyone, for anything.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
You go to Ford, and you buy the "Ford Grey" RTV. It is the best RTV I've ever used, from anyone, for anything.

Sorry but ford is 15 mi away, thanks though. I'm looking for something I can get at advance auto or somewhere like that.

Originally Posted By: justinf89
Ok +1 for red, thank you.

Btw, where you at in VA?

Near Richmond, I got the red shown here rtv from walmart, but pretty much everyone has it.

Last edited:
Permatex ultra black. They make regular black too but the ultra is better. Advance has it and you can buy it online to save.

The ford stuff is probably pretty awesome too; most dealer stuff is. Theirs probably sets up faster, good for a shop environment.

Get your metal parts clean clean clean and set the RTV up overnight and you've done better than a pro job.

I've used Ultra Black on diff covers with good results too.
49.gif

I just did the diff on my mustang last week and I used permatex "the right stuff" on a diff with a stamped aluminum cover, IDK if its any different with a stamped steel or cast cover but I've heard plenty of great reviews for it and FWIW my diff isn't leaking yet so works for me. but its prettymuch instant curing. comes in a can like cheez-wiz. cept not as delicious.
grin.gif
also a little bit pricer than regular RTV but.. so easy and quick to use.. just put it on one side, and torque it down to spec. no waiting.

Yeah the cheese whiz cans are great for elaborate saturn timing and valve covers; beats squeezing tubes for minutes on end making my weak fingers hurt.

You can also lay a more consistent bead IMO.

Haha this is what I get for searching

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automot...rtv_sealant.htm

Anybody know if this stuff is available locally? If not, what else can I use? I don't want to use a gasket because I have to do a bunch in the future.

The Permatex Gear Oil Sealant is what I use on my rear differential. It works great, sets up quickly and never leaks. Napa is the only store I can find locally that sells it.

If you can't use the Ford sealant as Overk1ll suggested, then go with Ultra Black.

Last edited:
Alright guys, thanks for the help. Looks like the permatex black is a good one to use, and it says its oil resistant. I like the black because I can use it for other things as well without looking like a fool.

Alright guys, thanks for the help. Looks like the permatex black is a good one to use, and it says its oil resistant. I like the black because I can use it for other things as well without looking like a fool.

You can with the Ford stuff too. It is NUTS. They use it to seal oil pan sensor leaks on the 7.3L PSD's. That's what it was designed for. They also recommend it for diff's. The stuff is quite simply, NUTS.

Ford has some black RTV in a caulking tube, TA-30 I think, its what I like to use. The grey stuff is in a squeeze bottle and its TA-29. They also have some really awesome RTV for diesels in a caulking gun tube TA-31.

Yup, that's the stuff, TA-29. They mention it specifically for diff's IIRC and areas exposed to a lot of oil. It is NUTS, I used it on my intake end seals on the Mustang and timing cover. Not only did they never leak, but dear Jesus, was it a chore to get them apart again, the stuff is like epoxy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back