Diesel rated oil in gas engine, Why Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really have to take those TV "car shows" with a grain of salt sometimes. They have to cut corners and the such to make the program flow and fit into the time slot they're allowed. Sometimes things like tying up a caliper get overlooked in the name of saving time. It happens. DIY Mechanic or whatever it's called is a good one and I've watched Two Guys Garage from the time it originally was Shadetree Mechanic back in the mid 90s. Sam and Dave are cool guys.

Off topic, I know, but it's easy make up a set of caliper hangers from coat hanger wire. I've had the calipers off my track car dozens of times and reuse the same hangers. Sometimes have to make different ones for other cars.

I'm just a shadetree mechanic - the hoses are probably a lot stronger than I give them credit for, but I'd never let a caliper hang.

quote:

I've changed the brakes on many vehicles. I'm a mechanic. Do you let the caliper hang by the brake hose?

I know that at my shop, unless the caliiper needs to be removed for some reason, the calipers hang by the hoses. You don't need to remove the calipers to change pads/rotors on a vehicle. Hanging a caliper by the hose has no detrimental effects, unless you start picking the caliper up and letting it drop so as to yank on the hose, or if you just start yanking on the hose. Brake lines are made to withstand thousands of pounds of pressure,and dangling a 10 lb caliper from it for a few minutes is not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back