Diesel Propane injection ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sold a small motorhome propane tank to a guy, asked him what he was going to use it for. DIESEL PROPANE INJECTION KIT- DODGE--POWERSTROKE-DURAMAX-UP TO 100 HP! Ebay Propane
Do you think there's any real truth in this and what could be the consequences?

It's an excellent way to get a warranty voided, and an excellent way to make your diesel engine go boom.

Saw both things happen with the same F-350...that was owned by a guy who was a little short on common sense.

It didn't pull hard enough for him, so he added one of these propane kits. Dealer caught him, so his warranty got voided.

And then, since it was a 6.4... then the engine let go. Then he was out $$$$$ for a new engine.

I didn't know it could blow your engine up. I knew they existed but I thought they were used for increasing mileage, not increasing power.

I guess marketing it for MPG is going to be a tough sell as it is difficult to recoup the cost especially if you buy a kit that has been marked up. 3-7 MPG is not enough, that would take forever to even break even considering you still have to buy propane.

Why would you run propane injection over a tune? Mechanical injection?

Lots of people have done this. Some don't do it right and wreck stuff, some do it right and it works great.

Propane helps the fuel ignite faster (cold start systems have a propane bottle) and it is more practical to just use a Cetane Booster and people using Power Service DieselKleen rave about the boost in performance from the increased cetane rating. Those DIY Hydrogen kits do about the same thing.

Co-firing diesel with propane is well known to improve the properties of the flamefront, and increase combustion completeness. The idea of co-firing is sound. However, "the devil is in the details", especially with modern engines for which there are a myriad of controls involved.

Not sure how it would work (successfully) with 2-stroke engines given how they scavenge exhaust with intake air. But on a 4-stroke, the (blown/turbocharged) intake air is not involved with the exhaust part of the stoke.

I tried butane (propane isn't wildly available here, but butane is) in my WVO, non-turbo, mechanical diesel car.

I injected right after the air filter using an adjustable pressure regulator (up to 4bar) but didn't go to the max. A little and you can feel the additional power, too much and you can hear engine knocking bad. I think the ideal would be a RPM controlled pressure regulator, or a RPM & throttle one.

A little OT, but back in my Petrochem days, I remember a diesel Lincoln welder "running away" due to a natural gas leak that happened close to the machine. It went BOOM in short order.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
A little OT, but back in my Petrochem days, I remember a diesel Lincoln welder "running away" due to a natural gas leak that happened close to the machine. It went BOOM in short order.
That's pretty cool, must have been quite a leak. I really want to see a diesel run away, some of the vids on youtube are awesome!

Originally Posted by pitzel
Co-firing diesel with propane is well known to improve the properties of the flamefront, and increase combustion completeness. The idea of co-firing is sound. However, "the devil is in the details", especially with modern engines for which there are a myriad of controls involved.

Not sure how it would work (successfully) with 2-stroke engines given how they scavenge exhaust with intake air. But on a 4-stroke, the (blown/turbocharged) intake air is not involved with the exhaust part of the stoke.

BusGreaseMonkey on YouTube drives an old gm bus with a 6-71 and has propane injection on it to help pull hills and at altitudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back