Diesel fuel additive not compatible with filter

The place I work for fuels the diesel truck out of an old tank. Apparently the tank now has black algae in it. Stuff is plugging up filters faster than I can change them.

I had some power service in the silver bottle brought over and we have been adding it to trucks fuel tanks in the recommended amount.

The fuel/ water separators are apparently not compatible with the additive.

The filters have a rubber like material that's a seal when installed. Those are melting and becoming blob then without that the filter it's sending who knows into the fine fuel filter and plugging those up.

Here is the filter and the part that's circled is what's melting.

Not sure what my next plan is just yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231017-155448~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20231017-155448~2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 50
The place I work for fuels the diesel truck out of an old tank. Apparently the tank now has black algae in it. Stuff is plugging up filters faster than I can change them.
That would seem to be the root problem. Your additive is like trying to fix an engine that has a material or design defect with an oil.

Biobor JF is good for killing the black stuff-maybe a better filter on the fuel dispenser would help? I've used PS SIlver a lot in the past, I didn't know it could melt rubber in filters? That could be a disaster on a CR diesel...

Biobor JF is good for killing the black stuff-maybe a better filter on the fuel dispenser would help? I've used PS SIlver a lot in the past, I didn't know it could melt rubber in filters? That could be a disaster on a CR diesel...
We have 2 filters inline at the storage tank. I guess it can get through them? My first time dealing with this problem.

I don’t think the Power Service is your problem. I’ve used it in my 2012 Cummins Ram at recommended and double dose rates without an issue. I use Fleetguard filters on my truck as well.

I’m guessing it’s a reaction with the algae that’s causing your problem. You need some sort of biocide to kill the algae.

I’d dump all the fuel and change all the filters and start again. HPCR systems are too expensive to mess around with.

Just my $0.02

I think I would plan to pump out the 'bad' tank through a lot of filters into a 'good' tank. Seems like it would be more cost-effective to eat up tank filters than run the chance of nuking injectors or injection pumps and filters.

I don’t think the Power Service is your problem. I’ve used it in my 2012 Cummins Ram at recommended and double dose rates without an issue. I use Fleetguard filters on my truck as well.

I’m guessing it’s a reaction with the algae that’s causing your problem. You need some sort of biocide to kill the algae.

I’d dump all the fuel and change all the filters and start again. HPCR systems are too expensive to mess around with.

Just my $0.02
Didn't have the rubber disintegrate untill I started adding the stuff. Before that it was just the occasional plugged filter.

Several years ago, our public works was having lots of problems in all of the diesel powered equipment. They ended up putting biocides in the underground tank and changing the two filters out regularly. Every fuel dump got a biocide treatment. We went through a lot of filters on the equipment and trucks. They finally got it cleaned up. However, they still add biocide to every fuel drop.

some chemicals eat some rubbers. Natural rubber and PAO is one instance. I've used PS white and silver over the years without issue. Recently I tried to use my Topsider oil extractor. One of the flat seals had turned to slime. I hadn't used it all that much and motor oil is all it ever saw. I'm thinking they must be using a natural rubber product and the Group IV/V portion of the used oil is attacking the rubber. What are the ingredients in PS silver? What type of rubber in the fuel filters?

you need to contact your fuel supplier and figure out what to do as it sounds like the problem in your supply tanks is not going to be solved by using an additive in the trucks..

tanks can be cleaned..

Back