Diesel 5w-40 Oil vs Euro Diesel 5w-40

The Penzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 uses the verbiage "meets or exceeds" so how do you verify it's certified for MS-12991?
It is. Pennzoil (Shell) is official supplier of FCA. It is on the list. On other hand, Pennzoil is HORRIBLE in getting its act together to lista pprovals correctly.

This has been the dilemma since the fall of 2019 when the Gen 3 engine first hit the streets.

People say not to use API SN oils in a diesel, but the manual says you must for warranty retention (and with 100,000 miles of warranty it would be foolish to throw that away). People say MS-12991 oils are "full SAPS" but every single one I have looked up shows 1.1 or less on the SAPS which doesn't seem that high to me. When asked, FCA responded that Rotella was no longer acceptable because "engine pressures were altered on the new engine, and the turbo-charger is different too."

So, a guy doesn't know WHAT to believe. It's a complete mess.

To make matters worse, I've done oil analysis for nearly 2 years on a Gen 3 engine using MS-12991 oils exclusively and I have seen iron and aluminum levels that are higher than universal averages. The last oil I ran was Motul, which is supposed to be a top-tier oil, and it performed exactly the same as the cheap off-the-shelf Walmart oils.

It appears that Rotella T6 may reduce wear on the Gen 3 engine, but at the expense of losing warranty. The spec'd oils protect warranty, but at the expense of engine life. The owner of the truck is over a barrel. It sucks.

My next oil will be the Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W40. $17 per 5 quart jug at Walmart. MS-12991 rated. Virgin analysis shows a more robust additive pack. We'll see...

To make matters worse, I've done oil analysis for nearly 2 years on a Gen 3 engine using MS-12991 oils exclusively and I have seen iron and aluminum levels that are higher than universal averages. The last oil I ran was Motul, which is supposed to be a top-tier oil, and it performed exactly the same as the cheap off-the-shelf Walmart oils.

It appears that Rotella T6 may reduce wear on the Gen 3 engine, but at the expense of losing warranty. The spec'd oils protect warranty, but at the expense of engine life. The owner of the truck is over a barrel. It sucks.

My next oil will be the Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W40. $17 per 5 quart jug at Walmart. MS-12991 rated. Virgin analysis shows a more robust additive pack. We'll see...
That's because the UOA is showing engine condition, not relative "wear rates" between oils.

There is no way you as a consumer can tell if the Rotella causes less wear, especially by using a tool like a UOA. People keep desperately trying to do so but it's not the tool for the job.

That's because the UOA is showing engine condition, not relative "wear rates" between oils.

There is no way you as a consumer can tell if the Rotella causes less wear, especially by using a tool like a UOA. People keep desperately trying to do so but it's not the tool for the job.

How does engine condition and rate of wear differ?

I thought the level of wear is the thing that determined engine condition.

I had seen an internal FCA piece recently that claimed you had to use the non diesel oil in the gen 3 or bearing failure could happen. It was taking about the gen differences etc.

It’s what they want so it’s what my customers get

I had seen an internal FCA piece recently that claimed you had to use the non diesel oil in the gen 3 or bearing failure could happen. It was taking about the gen differences etc.

It’s what they want so it’s what my customers get

Yeah I saw a guy with experience as a dealer technician talk about that on an EcoDiesel owners group page on FB this morning. He said that they apparently discussed it in a recent MasterTech article. Claimed that the Rotella T6 oil can't handle the engine pressures and tends to coke up on the internals. Another also commented that there's "too much EGR" on the Gen 3 EcoDiesel (I assume referring to the new high and low pressure EGR setup) for T6 to be useful.

I'm still confused as to why Rotella T6 is ok for every other diesel engine, even within the same brand. The Cummins makes WAY more engine pressure. T6 works great for those. I just don't get it. Why is the EcoDiesel so much different?

Yeah I saw a guy with experience as a dealer technician talk about that on an EcoDiesel owners group page on FB this morning. He said that they apparently discussed it in a recent MasterTech article. Claimed that the Rotella T6 oil can't handle the engine pressures and tends to coke up on the internals. Another also commented that there's "too much EGR" on the Gen 3 EcoDiesel (I assume referring to the new high and low pressure EGR setup) for T6 to be useful.

I'm still confused as to why Rotella T6 is ok for every other diesel engine, even within the same brand. The Cummins makes WAY more engine pressure. T6 works great for those. I just don't get it. Why is the EcoDiesel so much different?
Good question. FCA oil specs are many times a head scratcher I do know there were and still are plenty of gen 2 engine issues bottom end that could be the reason for a change and a real specific one they think will work better for the application

Back