Did You Do A "Break-In" Oil Change On Your Riding Lawn Mower/Zero-Turn?

Mine smoked pretty good yesterday on start up. 5 hours on it. Oil temp is near 250F after a 2 hour mow.

About the only thing you can do is monitor oil level. All of my ope will randomly belch blue smoke at start up but none use any appreciable oil.

My JD F510 would one or twice a year belch out blue smoke on startup for nearly 5 minutes. Must have been how everything lined up when the engine stopped or something.

Thanks guys, Mine has been wired really, and I think you might be right SHOZ, After the first few hours on it the little bit of blue smoke that I was getting on start up got better, where it was just tiny little puff and it went right away, and not all the time just once in a awhile.

The other day when it smoked like a fright train after setting for a few days, it never done it for the rest of the day, yesterday afternoon I parked it back in the same spot when I got home with it, it set there until this morning. when I started it this morning it did the same, it rolled blue smoke for quite awhile, to the point clouds of it are rolling out of the building lol, I really never expected it to it this morning.

but I noticed the way it is setting, is the back of the mower is tilled down just a hair, and the front would be a bit elevated then, its just a slight angle but could that be allowing the oil to get up past the rings? its 10w 30 in right now

anyhow its setting in the same place tonight, I'll be videoing next time I start it, probably Tuesday, calling for a wack of rain tomorrow.

Thanks guys, Mine has been wired really, and I think you might be right SHOZ, After the first few hours on it the little bit of blue smoke that I was getting on start up got better, where it was just tiny little puff and it went right away, and not all the time just once in a awhile.

The other day when it smoked like a fright train after setting for a few days, it never done it for the rest of the day, yesterday afternoon I parked it back in the same spot when I got home with it, it set there until this morning. when I started it this morning it did the same, it rolled blue smoke for quite awhile, to the point clouds of it are rolling out of the building lol, I really never expected it to it this morning.

but I noticed the way it is setting, is the back of the mower is tilled down just a hair, and the front would be a bit elevated then, its just a slight angle but could that be allowing the oil to get up past the rings? its 10w 30 in right now

anyhow its setting in the same place tonight, I'll be videoing next time I start it, probably Tuesday, calling for a wack of rain tomorrow.
When you shut it down are you bringing it to idle and letting it sit at idle for about a minute before turning it off? Mine will smoke a bit if I forget to do so.

When you shut it down are you bringing it to idle and letting it sit at idle for about a minute before turning it off? Mine will smoke a bit if I forget to do so.
My new JD mower says to shut it off at full throttle or otherwise you might get a pop out the muffler.

Well guys after those 2 episodes of blue smoke for a couple minutes on start up its never done that since, the odd little puff of smoke on start up but thats about it, hasn't really burned any oil either, since the oil change at 5 hours I've only add like 100ml, weird I guess. Hot as hell here now lol 90-95+ the last few days and for the next couple. the mostly 85 for the rest of the week, 19 hours on it now, Rotella T5 15W40 is going it tonight.

Typically its after 4 or 5 hours. Id also caution you not to make the jump to synthetic oil until the engine has a fair amount of time on it (300 hours or more). Sometimes switching to synthetic too soon doesnt allow the engine to fully break in properly and to be fair, mower engine really needs synthetic anyways.

Started with synthetic P.U.P. 10w-30 then the rest are 5w-30 synthetics . After that they're mostly P.P. 5w-30 . About 510 hours . May be burning small amount . 🤞

Typically its after 4 or 5 hours. Id also caution you not to make the jump to synthetic oil until the engine has a fair amount of time on it (300 hours or more). Sometimes switching to synthetic too soon doesnt allow the engine to fully break in properly and to be fair, mower engine really needs synthetic anyways.
300 hrs? It’ll be plumb wore out by then!

LOL, just kidding.

Anyway, the notion that an engine “won’t ever break in properly on synthetic oil” is one of those oft-repeated internet myths - and it‘s not true for auto engines OR OPE engines.

I didn't change the oil on my Honda HRX 217 push lawnmower for 4 years, it came out looking really dark and cloudy but Blackstone said it was fine.

Honda Oil.JPG
Honda Oil Test Results.JPG

Honda Oil Test Results 1.JPG

Hey guys what do you think of this, so I have the FR691V and you all know of smoking issues, well it doesn't really smoke anymore, just a little puff here and there, but its definitely burning some oil, it has 37.5 hours on it and in the last 7.5 hours it burnt just a hair under 1/2 a QT. what do you make of that? thanks

Hey guys what do you think of this, so I have the FR691V and you all know of smoking issues, well it doesn't really smoke anymore, just a little puff here and there, but its definitely burning some oil, it has 37.5 hours on it and in the last 7.5 hours it burnt just a hair under 1/2 a QT. what do you make of that? thanks
What oil are you using?

Sounds like quite a bit.

I think I’d have it looked at by the dealer.

What mower is this?

Back