Did VAG revise the new 2.0t engines?

I’ve never really been big with VW/Audis but the 2.0T 4 cyl does look like a solid engine. I understand the engine has been through a few revisions since 2005.

A friend of mine had an 06 and 07 A4 2.0t with around 150k miles. They were cheap beaters so it’s understandable that the timing failed on both. Then I’ve picked up a few newer 2.0T cars and all of them have issues. 2011 A4 2.0T timing jumped misfire, 2009 A4 with only 81k miles with no compression, and a 2011 VW CC 2.0T 110k that blew a rod out of the block for no apparent reason. Stock, wasn’t being redlined, just cruising at 70 and the motor stopped.

I did some research and apparently some of them(or a lot) leave the factory out of tolerances. Someone built a new 2.0T A4 and had to adjust valve clearances before putting his engine back together. This makes me believe why the 2.0T runs fine for the warranty period then blow sometime after. Even with strict OCIs that won’t correct timing issues.

I can’t find anything showing if VAG has corrected the reliability and durability issues of the 2.0T they put in just about every car they make. Does anyone know if they did?

It's on its third revision which was started around 2016 or 17. The first generation had some PCV and oil consumption issues and the first year or so of the second generation had some bad timing chain tensioners. FWIW I had a 2011 GTI for seven years that I sold to a coworker who still drives it to this day, and it still has the "bad" tensioner in it. They are not time bombs, only some failed. Water pumps are a recurring problem for a lot of VAG engines too but they are pretty easily fixed.

I wouldn't pay much attention to someone saying they had to adjust valve clearances, he clearly has no idea what he is talking about. They are hydraulic valvetrains.

Honestly people thinking these engines are not reliable is crazy. They build millions upon millions of them and they are dependable.

4a761d0.jpg

They have resolved many of the issues you mentioned on your much older versions, but I still personally wouldn't want one much past 100k. Up to that point, good to go. JMO. Many run them much longer without issue though.

200 thou on my flawless 2001 1.8T except, but newer ones like the 2.0 T are more complicated striving for higher mpgs + meeting emissions. many of todays "reliable" brands have issues as well + its a good luck or not with newer vehicles IMO, but simple is better + although I like VAG products + still own a 2001 TT 1.8T i am not sure i would but ANYTHING newer turbocharged especially smaller sizes!!

200 thou on my flawless 2001 1.8T except, but newer ones like the 2.0 T are more complicated striving for higher mpgs + meeting emissions. many of todays "reliable" brands have issues as well + its a good luck or not with newer vehicles IMO, but simple is better + although I like VAG products + still own a 2001 TT 1.8T i am not sure i would but ANYTHING newer turbocharged especially smaller sizes!!

I like the old Audi body styles but they’ve been long abused and well kept ones aren’t easy to come by. I don’t like B5s enough to pay 15k+.

It's on its third revision which was started around 2016 or 17. The first generation had some PCV and oil consumption issues and the first year or so of the second generation had some bad timing chain tensioners. FWIW I had a 2011 GTI for seven years that I sold to a coworker who still drives it to this day, and it still has the "bad" tensioner in it. They are not time bombs, only some failed. Water pumps are a recurring problem for a lot of VAG engines too but they are pretty easily fixed.

I wouldn't pay much attention to someone saying they had to adjust valve clearances, he clearly has no idea what he is talking about. They are hydraulic valvetrains.

Honestly people thinking these engines are not reliable is crazy. They build millions upon millions of them and they are dependable.

Is there any documentation from Audi for these revisions that make them more reliable? Superseded part numbers, designs, specific years etc? or was is a QC issue and only time will tell if VAG figured it out?

The VW CC was most likely mistreated in the past 110k miles but to see a hole in the block and being told “we never have those engines in stock their all blown when they come in” by my used powertrain guy is kinda sad. Apparently it’s fairly common for the blocks to crack on the 2nd gen motors.

another friend of mine has an 14 A6 2.0t and 14 Q5 2.0t, both dealer maintained since new and both around 120k at this moment and burning oil. His 2018 A4 2.0t has been working fine at 50k miles, although the transmission occasionally isn’t engaging gear shifts. But that’s more of an isolated issue.

Is there any documentation from Audi for these revisions that make them more reliable? Superseded part numbers, designs, specific years etc? or was is a QC issue and only time will tell if VAG figured it out?

The VW CC was most likely mistreated in the past 110k miles but to see a hole in the block and being told “we never have those engines in stock their all blown when they come in” by my used powertrain guy is kinda sad. Apparently it’s fairly common for the blocks to crack on the 2nd gen motors.

another friend of mine has an 14 A6 2.0t and 14 Q5 2.0t, both dealer maintained since new and both around 120k at this moment and burning oil. His 2018 A4 2.0t has been working fine at 50k miles, although the transmission occasionally isn’t engaging gear shifts. But that’s more of an isolated issue.
1. 2006 is EA113, and 2009 and later are EA888. EA113 is a completely different engine from EA888. EA 888 is in the third revision.
2. Audi uses some different tuning and parts, and in first generation of EA888 had more issues than VW version (low tension rings=oil consumption).
3. 1st gen EA 888 had timing chain tensioner issue, resolved in mid 2012.
4. Water pump went through several updates. The best solution is an aftermarket GRAF pump, all-aluminum housing.
5. Rod issue on CC is unheard of. It is specific to your friend's car. I have never heard of a block to crack on EA888. I had CC, traded in with 116k, never had a single issue. Have Tiguan, had the water pump replaced under recall and I did timing chain tensioner on my own as preventive maintenance. I did blow HVAC motor controller, $5.

1. 2006 is EA113, and 2009 and later are EA888. EA113 is a completely different engine from EA888. EA 888 is in the third revision.
2. Audi uses some different tuning and parts, and in first generation of EA888 had more issues than VW version (low tension rings=oil consumption).
3. 1st gen EA 888 had timing chain tensioner issue, resolved in mid 2012.
4. Water pump went through several updates. The best solution is an aftermarket GRAF pump, all-aluminum housing.
5. Rod issue on CC is unheard of. It is specific to your friend's car. I have never heard of a block to crack on EA888. I had CC, traded in with 116k, never had a single issue. Have Tiguan, had the water pump replaced under recall and I did timing chain tensioner on my own as preventive maintenance. I did blow HVAC motor controller, $5.

im still new to vw/Audi. Don’t know the common faults as well as BMW/Mercedes. Just had 3 of 2.0T come in this week for repair all needing new engines.

The CC is actually part of my inventory. Did a full inspection of the car and it was mechanically immaculate. No leaks. Ran perfect. I send it out an hour away to pick up some parts and on its way back cruising at 70 on the highway the motor just seized. Tow back and I see a gaping hole in the block lol. Did some lurking and seen a few topics on bad rod bearings. From what I see there seems to be a steel wool-like material wrapped around the crank if you look thru the hole. But anyway it’s seized to there’s no more saving it.

im still new to vw/Audi. Don’t know the common faults as well as BMW/Mercedes. Just had 3 of 2.0T come in this week for repair all needing new engines.

The CC is actually part of my inventory. Did a full inspection of the car and it was mechanically immaculate. No leaks. Ran perfect. I send it out an hour away to pick up some parts and on its way back cruising at 70 on the highway the motor just seized. Tow back and I see a gaping hole in the block lol. Did some lurking and seen a few topics on bad rod bearings. From what I see there seems to be a steel wool-like material wrapped around the crank if you look thru the hole. But anyway it’s seized to there’s no more saving it.
The first time I hear a rod bearing issue on EA888 engine. In BMW's they can be an issue for various reasons (bad maintenance mostly).

OP: I suspect for miles driven divided by number of 2.0L VW's engines you have a pretty decent/reliable engine. You do realize that VW sells these engines and variants under a myriad of marques worldwide. We are talking about a huge number of engines. Since you only ever hear of the failures it looks like a trend. What is .5% of a few million motors having catastrophic failures? How does these engines stack up versus Subaru/Hyundai/Honda for failures?

OP: I suspect for miles driven divided by number of 2.0L VW's engines you have a pretty decent/reliable engine. You do realize that VW sells these engines and variants under a myriad of marques worldwide. We are talking about a huge number of engines. Since you only ever hear of the failures it looks like a trend. What is .5% of a few million motors having catastrophic failures? How does these engines stack up versus Subaru/Hyundai/Honda for failures?
I agree. Undoubtedly on par with all of the them.

newer more techy engines are more prone to issues IMO + as manufacturers chase more mpgs while meeting emissions with smaller changes "things" happen!!! for the $$$$$ of todays vehicles reliability is LESS than it should be IMO as labor for even small repairs is $$$$$ unless you are a better DIYer

Back