Did the shop use the wrong oil ?

Had my wife's Mazda CX9 in the shop for a brake job . I told them to change the oil while they had it . I was looking at the invoice later and saw that they used 5W-20 oil . If I remember correctly the oil fill cap has 5W-30 stamped on it . I'm not freaked out about it but should I be ?

Its hard to answer without telling us what year the car is some years took 5w20. (2013 for example)

I looked up a 2016 and 2021 CX9 and both required 5W30. Take another look at your oil filler cap. It appears that the 2012 took 5W20.

Had my wife's Mazda CX9 in the shop for a brake job . I told them to change the oil while they had it . I was looking at the invoice later and saw that they used 5W-20 oil . If I remember correctly the oil fill cap has 5W-30 stamped on it . I'm not freaked out about it but should I be ?
My wife's 2012 Skyactive calls for 5/20 but I only use 5/30 because 5/30 in that year was acceptable every place but the USA
I dont and most likely never will use a 20 weight oil.

happened to me at a Jiffy Lube with my company car...receipt said 5W-20, car calls for 5W-30. When I questioned them about it they said it was just a 'clerical' mistake and they always put in the grade stated on the oil fill cap...(yeah.....riiiight)

happened to me at a Jiffy Lube with my company car...receipt said 5W-20, car calls for 5W-30. When I questioned them about it they said it was just a 'clerical' mistake and they always put in the grade stated on the oil fill cap...(yeah.....riiiight)
This is why you don't go to Jiffy Lube or most other oil change stores. But only about 13% of us won't do that.

ANY xxW20 oil is NOT for me especially in HOT climates, at least a 10W30 fake synthetic in your area. you could just dump it + refill with a 5 or 1o 30 like i did with my girlfriends 8xxx mile 2018 optima the car dealer put in + still using 10-30 with NO oil use between 5 thou-6 month intervals as recommended!!

Start by speaking with the shop. Sometimes they use generic SKUs for invoicing purposes that don't match what the technician actually installed.

Start by speaking with the shop. Sometimes they use generic SKUs for invoicing purposes that don't match what the technician actually installed.
It sounds like I was wrong and the vehicle is supposed to have 5W-20 . which is what they used .

Back