Did the Accord 51R -> 24F battery upgrade

Did the upgrade in June 2019 at Sam's Club for my 2008 Accord 4 LX with group 35/85 AGM battery, which is slightly smaller than 24F. Sam's Club mechanic installed it without extra parts and cost. I think he just bent bracket a little bit. It has been close to 2 years now and the battery voltage measures are 12.3 volt after parking overnight, making me a little worried about its longevity, as the warranty is only 3 years. Covid might contribute a little as now I only drive the car a few times a week with very short trips. Might consider put a solar charge on it. It has been died once without any reason during winter, so I might want to bring it to Sams Club before the warranty expires to be tested and replace if it is actually bad.

Also the AGM might be overkill and not benefit too much for this car, as Accord does not have much high drain equipments. A Walmart 24F battery with 3 year replacement warranty is only $99, and should be more economical.

AGM battery might last longer in some case but it is harder to revive than a lead acid battery with a good charger as there is no way to add water. If somehow overcharge caused electrolyte to release there is no way to add water back.

There should only be two batteries available for the 2013 Accord depending on which engine is came with (51R for the 4 cyl and 24F for the V6) so there should only be one set of battery-mounting parts for one or the other. Looking at this parts diagram, which is for a 2013 EX-L V6:

I used parts #2 through #6 and two #17 nuts. The nuts can be re-used if you don't want to buy new ones as they are the same parts as the originals.

As I mentioned in post 11, if I did it again I wouldn't bother with the battery cover (#6) which will save you a few bucks.

Yes, you can do it cheaper by creatively hacking some of the bits and pieces but $40 for some OEM parts makes it fit like a glove and look like it came from the factory with a 24F.
I replaced my battery with 51R (the original battery lasted over 10 years!) on my 2008 Accord, at Sam's Club in June 2019, with a 35/85 battery and the mechanic installed it without any extra parts. I think he might just bent a bracket. Not sure about 24F since it is slightly bigger.

I did the same conversion on my 17 Sport with the V6 tray, cover and hold down plate, but there is no need to replace the hold down bolts as they are plenty long enough from the 51R.

Back