Did the Accord 51R -> 24F battery upgrade

My '15 Accord Sport is almost four years old now and the small 51R battery was starting to show signs that it was struggling a bit. After doing some reading online I decided to do the popular conversion to the V6 model's larger 24F battery. I wanted it to look OEM so I bought the V6's battery box/tray, the battery cover, the mounting bracket, J-hooks and new nuts from Majestic Honda's online store, https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/, for about $50 plus shipping. For a battery I went with an EverStart Maxx from Walmart for about $95 (vs $107 for the smaller 51R). Its specs suggest it's either a cheapened or simply relabeled East Penn/Deka Ultimate. The carrying strap needed to be removed for the cover to fit properly. Everything else fit in there snugly with some minor re-positioning and the results look pretty good. It starts with a bit more authority now, the headlights seem slightly brighter, etc. I'm happy with the results.

RizIbQk.jpg

The pic makes it look like it's over-tightened and pinching the case but it looks fine in the flesh.

People have done this conversion many ways, like ditching the plastic box/tray and cover entirely, re-bending the 51R's bracket (or using a generic universal parts-store bracket) and reusing the 51R's J-hooks which are supposedly just long enough, but I wanted it to look OEM.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
As for battery, seems in your region WM gone to East Penn, thread linked. Still JCI here.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...rou#Post4776779

Walmart's shelves seemed to be a 50/50 mix of Johnson Controls and East Penns. I've had good luck with Johnson Controls batteries from Advance and I've heard good things about East Penn/Deka so I would have used either.

The new EverStart Maxx is 725 CCA which is way more than the OEM JC's (I think? Octagonal but recessed caps?) 410 CCA, so it really is overkill. The EverStart Plus (heck, even the ValuePower) would have been more than fine at or about 600 CCA but I decided the extra $20 for a 3 year/2 year prorated warranty instead of just 2 years was worth it. I really wanted the longer warranty and reserve capacity.

Semi-related gripe: All that dirt in the engine bay is stuck on due to the engine dressing the dealer used when it was new. There are nooks and crannies filled with crusty sand and dirt and any dust on the surfaces is there for good unless a power washer is used probably in conjunction with quite a bit of elbow grease. Thanks, Honda.

Nice! Just put a Walmart 24f Everstart Maxx in my Quest. Had been getting O'Reilly's top shelf battery, but the last two have both died 2 months out of warranty and they no longer pro-rate the replacement. They're also $169. This Walmart one is $95. Hope they do well.........or at least better!

And a quick follow-up:

I'm not really sure what the battery cover is for. I've read that it, in conjunction with the box/tray, is to help contain battery acid in the event of a front-end collision. But it has gaping holes in it so I don't know how effective it would be at doing that. It also has no insulating properties so it's not going to keep the battery from freezing. It fits together nicely with the box/tray and gives it a more finished look, but beyond that it's somewhat pointless.

If I were to do this again I would save $12 and skip the cover. That would expose the side vents better and allow keeping the battery's carry handle that I had to remove.

Good job indeed.

The Valuepower battery is the 624fmf battery for East Penn. It is the one with a 2 yr free replacement warranty through East Penn. Or a 3 yr free replacement warranty through Federated Auto.

Nothing g wrong with the 724f you got there. I bet the 725 is actually is a bit higher than that. 750. That's the CCA for the 724f battery.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
I bet the 725 is actually is a bit higher than that. 750. That's the CCA for the 724f battery.

The EverStart Maxx 24F's made by Johnson Controls have 750 CCA per their labels. The ones made by East Penn are 'only' 725. Totally overkill for my application regardless.

We experimented with the larger size 24 on several of our Hondas but eventually settled on size 51 Bosch Platinum AGM which is backed by a full 4-year free replacement warranty (not prorated). Paid on sale about 124 for each.

You may have missed what I was saying.. the group 724f East Penn battery has 750 CCA. That's the battery you essentially bought and put in. That label on it.... For Wally World... Don't mean much. You have the 724fmf East Penn battery. I bet if you weighed that battery it would very likely verify it's the same 724f.

So... You did really good. 750 CCA and 120 minutes of RC.

A very smart move on your part changing that out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Good job, curious what's the price difference between 24F and 51R, almost same?

$94 vs $107. More battery for less money, but also larger and quite a bit heavier.

My '15 Accord Sport is almost four years old now and the small 51R battery was starting to show signs that it was struggling a bit. After doing some reading online I decided to do the popular conversion to the V6 model's larger 24F battery. I wanted it to look OEM so I bought the V6's battery box/tray, the battery cover, the mounting bracket, J-hooks and new nuts from Majestic Honda's online store, https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/, for about $50 plus shipping. For a battery I went with an EverStart Maxx from Walmart for about $95 (vs $107 for the smaller 51R). Its specs suggest it's either a cheapened or simply relabeled East Penn/Deka Ultimate. The carrying strap needed to be removed for the cover to fit properly. Everything else fit in there snugly with some minor re-positioning and the results look pretty good. It starts with a bit more authority now, the headlights seem slightly brighter, etc. I'm happy with the results.

RizIbQk.jpg

The pic makes it look like it's over-tightened and pinching the case but it looks fine in the flesh.

People have done this conversion many ways, like ditching the plastic box/tray and cover entirely, re-bending the 51R's bracket (or using a generic universal parts-store bracket) and reusing the 51R's J-hooks which are supposedly just long enough, but I wanted it to look OEM.
Hi,

I've got a 2013 Honda Accord LX and I really want to do your upgrade to a 24F battery. I too would like to keep it looking OEM, but when searching on the website link you provided, I am confused as to which V6 battery box/tray & corresponding parts to use. I saw two different sizes for V6 battery trays. What specific V6 battery box/tray etc should I use? Thank you

There should only be two batteries available for the 2013 Accord depending on which engine is came with (51R for the 4 cyl and 24F for the V6) so there should only be one set of battery-mounting parts for one or the other. Looking at this parts diagram, which is for a 2013 EX-L V6:

I used parts #2 through #6 and two #17 nuts. The nuts can be re-used if you don't want to buy new ones as they are the same parts as the originals.

As I mentioned in post 11, if I did it again I wouldn't bother with the battery cover (#6) which will save you a few bucks.

Yes, you can do it cheaper by creatively hacking some of the bits and pieces but $40 for some OEM parts makes it fit like a glove and look like it came from the factory with a 24F.

Last edited:
There should only be two batteries available for the 2013 Accord depending on which engine is came with (51R for the 4 cyl and 24F for the V6) so there should only be one set of battery-mounting parts for one or the other. Looking at this parts diagram, which is for a 2013 EX-L V6:

I used parts #2 through #6 and two #17 nuts. The nuts can be re-used if you don't want to buy new ones as they are the same parts as the originals.

As I mentioned in post 11, if I did it again I wouldn't bother with the battery cover (#6) which will save you a few bucks.

Yes, you can do it cheaper by creatively hacking some of the bits and pieces but $40 for some OEM parts makes it fit like a glove and look like it came from the factory with a 24F.
I must've clicked the wrong thing. Thank you for the link and information!

Back