DI engines: ethanol fuel better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my neck of the woods premium is 20 cents a gallon more than regular, unless you go to one of the gouging stations which can be 50 cents a gallon more, or worse.
@ 20 cents a gallon more it only takes a slight improvement (1 or 2 MPG) to make the difference and save money. We're talking $3.79 VS $3.99 or something like that.

Originally Posted By: accent2012
Originally Posted By: Miller88
The Mazda is 13:1 and it recommends 87 too. I think the Mazdas are the only ones with the extreme compression.

That is extreme and definitely explains the "high temp heat to prevent build up" theory. I guess I will give 93 octane a shot... heck even fill up at a shell station, they are supposed to have the best high octane gasoline. BP gas is what I mainly use since that is now considered top tier but I guess I'll spoil myself
smile.gif

BP ultimate is every bit as good if not better than Shell. I think one test showed BP had a bit higher detergent levels in their 93 than Shell did. I think both advertise 5x above the federal minimum and TT only requires something like 2.5x the federal minimum. Not all TT gas is the same.

In Europe the Skyactiv Gas engines are 14:1 compression.

Elsewhere in the world Mazda requires premium fuel for Skyactiv-G engines. The compression ratio is lower for the U.S. market due to Mazda thinking that people buying an economy car would not want to pay for premium fuel.

I do not believe there are benefits in using higher octane fuel in the Skyactiv. I know that I have dissenters for that opinion.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
In Europe the Skyactiv Gas engines are 14:1 compression.

Elsewhere in the world Mazda requires premium fuel for Skyactiv-G engines. The compression ratio is lower for the U.S. market due to Mazda thinking that people buying an economy car would not want to pay for premium fuel.

I do not believe there are benefits in using higher octane fuel in the Skyactiv. I know that I have dissenters for that opinion.

There are definitely measurable benefits both on the Dyno and in MPGs but whether that is worth the $ varies.

I did try a couple of tankfuls of premium (no ethanol-free stuff available here). The mpg's did increase a tiny bit (per the dash display), but not enough to cause a reduction in cost equivalent to the 40 cent difference in price.

I am not enough of an anorak to mess with UOA. I have driven every car I've every owned longer than I probably should have and none have ever experienced a failure related to lubrication. I kept my last car 23 years and 353,000 miles and used a variety of synthetic brands (10W-30) with a 10,000 mile OCI.

Believe me, if I had a compelling reason to use premium, or even midgrade, I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back