Dexron VI vs Import Multivehicle ATF Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about using Supertech Dexron VI instead of the Maxlife Import Multi-vehicle ATF for my 2000 Honda Accord . I have read elsewhere that the viscosity of Dexron VI ( Honda Z1 compatible)is lower (thinner) than of Dexron III but maybe it is the same at operating temperature since DExron VI is supposedly more stable . Any feedback on using Dexron VI in Honda vehicles is appreciated .

I was considering doing the same thing but tran's is to expensive to mess up!I have 2 Accords 07,95 and a 99 Civic, I would use the Maxlife its vicosity is in the 7's at operating temps where as the Dexron VI is in the low 6's at operating temp's. I just put the Maxlife Dex/Mer in my 95's trans yesterday works just fine. I have had good luck w/ Amsoil universal atf in the Civic.The Dexron VI might be to thin at operating temp's Give it a try but would change it out at the first signs of any shift problems!Please post any results if you use the Dexron VI,very inerested to see what the shift quality is like!

Visc shouldn't be an issue. UOA's show Hondas ATF-Z1 shearing quickly into the mid 5's and less.

Yes, these transmissions behind a V6 are known for early failure (for Honda). I do PM changes about 2x more the recommended schedule and have an external cooler and inline filter . I want it to last .

"I was considering doing the same thing but tran's is to expensive to mess up!"

Given the dubious quality and longevity of honda ATs, I'd say to only go with honda ATF.

Originally Posted By: ravenchris
Here, $3.77 qt.

That seems a good price... I am guessing that is the cheapest Dex VI that can be found?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Given the dubious quality and longevity of honda ATs, I'd say to only go with honda ATF.

It might be the dubious quality and longevity of the Honda ATF that is the problem...

Dex is not friction-modified like Z1 is. You should select based on the coefficient of friction, like ATF+4, MercV or MV. Why vary from MaxLife anyway? It should be ideal and lists Z1.

I use Castrol HM in the old CRV and AMSoil in my new Honda. I've used others too, but not Dex 6. I believe you can tune the shift stiffness by using say Dex on one end and ATF+4 on the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back