Dexos2 M1 0w-40 ESP in C7 Corvettes

Posted this on another thread and wanted to discuss more:

As a side note I find it interesting that for the C7 Corvettes with LT1 & LT4 GASOLINE engines, the factory fill and and recommended oil was Dexos2 M1 0w-40 ESP (Emissions Systems Protection), a .8% sulfated ash engine oil. Not sure if it was classified as a C3, but it certainly was a low/mid SAPS emissions protection formula for use in a very high performance gas engine.

The product data sheet just lists GM Dexos2 (license number D20679HJ015) as the only builder approval. Does not mention any ACEA or API specs. Not sure why GM would label this as a Dexos2 oil?

Sulphated ash .8%
TBN 8.5
HTHS 3.53
Phosphorus .09

Nothing extraordinary with those numbers.

And this oil, geared for emissions system protection is the oil is recommended for both street and track use. So if there are plenty of API 40 weight multi grades, why does GM recommend a low/mid saps oil geared for emissions system protection is a very high performance gas engine? Is there something about the M1 ESP line that makes it an exceptional oil?

Mobil 1™ ESP Formula 0W-40

Not yet. ;) Just found it interesting that that oil would be used in such a hiper engine. Some argue that lower saps oils are not the best for engine protection all things considered. This seems to contradict that mindset.

Not yet. ;) Just found it interesting that that oil would be used in such a hiper engine. Some argue that lower saps oils are not the best for engine protection all things considered. This seems to contradict that mindset.
Really, who says that? How does the SAPS relate to protection? What kind of arguments are you referring to here?

Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL is a low ash oil with an HT/HS of 3.5 and has VW 504 00 approval. Is that inappropriate or inadequate for a "hiper" engine?

Some argue that bigfoot lives in Delaware. These may be the same individuals you know.

I find it interesting that for the longest time Europe didn't seem to have the same concerns with higher SA oils and LSPI for their high performance DI engines.

Been plenty of threads that suggest that lower ash and phosphorus and a reduced TBN is a tradeoff for emissions systems protection over engine wear as opposed to higher ash/phosphorus TBN formulations. Not saying it is necessarily true. Hence my post.

I could understand the question, because out of the internet it yells at you "You need a fulls SAPS in a high performance Gasoline engine! It will protect better! it has more additives!" and so on.

It IS confusing. It IS hard to find really good data or Explanation to inform yourself about it. I am in the same boat.

Its high end oil, the ESP line and yeah I believe they are C3. But if you look in their manual they say you can pretty much use any w40 Dexos2. I think Fram has some euro stuff (made by Amalie) that has the spec.

Kinda hard to nail down any certs/approvals on it. Mobil PI sheet just states GM Dexos2. Speedway motors says it's ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4? Yet it's Dexos2? Anyhow, it's a top shelf quality oil not matter what. Guess the take away, at least for me, is just because it's a lower SAPS formula does not mean it's inferior in any way. M1 ESP is the only line of oil that goes in all my vehicles.

esp formula 0w40 is a one off product for GM’s needs. it is not the same as the global esp 0w40 (d2, 229.31, 229.51) or the flagship esp x3 0w40. it has higher than allowable TBN for ACEA C3 and other TBN restricted approvals

the cheaper esp 5w30 or PP Euro L should be more than capable for the job

Last edited:
esp formula 0w40 is a one off product for GM’s needs. it is not the same as the global esp 0w40 (d2, 229.31, 229.51) or the flagship esp x3 0w40. it has higher than allowable TBN for ACEA C3 and other TBN restricted approvals

the cheaper esp 5w30 or PP Euro L should be more than capable for the job
Just to be clear, are you saying there are three ESP 0W-40 oils?

Posted this on another thread and wanted to discuss more:

As a side note I find it interesting that for the C7 Corvettes with LT1 & LT4 GASOLINE engines, the factory fill and and recommended oil was Dexos2 M1 0w-40 ESP (Emissions Systems Protection), a .8% sulfated ash engine oil. Not sure if it was classified as a C3, but it certainly was a low/mid SAPS emissions protection formula for use in a very high performance gas engine.

The product data sheet just lists GM Dexos2 (license number D20679HJ015) as the only builder approval. Does not mention any ACEA or API specs. Not sure why GM would label this as a Dexos2 oil?

Sulphated ash .8%
TBN 8.5
HTHS 3.53
Phosphorus .09

Nothing extraordinary with those numbers.

And this oil, geared for emissions system protection is the oil is recommended for both street and track use. So if there are plenty of API 40 weight multi grades, why does GM recommend a low/mid saps oil geared for emissions system protection is a very high performance gas engine? Is there something about the M1 ESP line that makes it an exceptional oil?

Mobil 1™ ESP Formula 0W-40
Corvette are emission controlled vehicles. Todays oils protect well but a 40 Wt is a bit thicker at elevated operating conditions.

Just to be clear, are you saying there are three ESP 0W-40 oils?
Your response took me aback, so I checked with some Mobil sites. I could only find two 0W-40 ESP variants. There is another 0W-40, but it's not ESP. It's European Formlula (FS). And big surprise, I came across )W-40
Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil, one that I've not seen before, in a gold container:

mobil-1-0w-40-fs-square-md.jpg

Use VW511.00, Dexos2, LL04, MB229.52 oil like Motul 5W40 X-Clean. If it does work in Porsche, Audi RS6, it most definitely will do work in Corvette.

At 73 hp/liter, the C7 corvette engine is really not particularly taxed in its application. Plenty of oils will work in it. Any Euro Xw40 oil with Daimler and Porsche certification will be fine.

Mobil spent almost 2 years working with GM on this oil and it has been thoroughly tested.

MOBILE 1 esp.jpg

At 73 hp/liter, the C7 corvette engine is really not particularly taxed in its application. Plenty of oils will work in it. Any Euro Xw40 oil with Daimler and Porsche certification will be fine.
There is much more that goes into determining the ideal oil for any engine than just considering it's power density.

I think your post likely implied this, but I'm also not trying to put words in your mouth.

Back